BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 644 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
I was religiously running both tires at the recommended 42PSI on the bike's TPM. (Typically showed 44PSI on my gauge, when the bike showed 42PSI)
My dealer said to NOT go by the TPS on the bike but to get a GOOD pro model tire gauge & us it. The TPS is mainly to let you know you have a tire problem not to check the true pressure. The day I talked to him they had 3 GTLs in the shop & checked all 3 rear tires with their gauge then rode the bike to see what the TPS showed. All 3 bikes with 42psi by the gauge showed 3 different psi by the TPS. 1 was 43 , 1 41 & 1 39 psi.

The PR3s are much better wearing then the Bridgestones. I have 5000 miles on them so far and have not had a problem with them. Almost all the time on the PR3s were with the bike loaded since they were installed in the middle of a road trip.
I got about 6000 miles from my Z8's & ordered a set of PR3's today. I hope to get better mileage from them. I'm use to 10K rear & 18K front from my LT.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My GT now has 2500 miles and down to the wear bars, have a set of Z8's arriving tomorrow, perfered PR3's but out of stock, no doubt I'll need the PR3's in short order.....:k16: :D :gm :k16: :clap:

Did I say that I really love my K1600GT.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My dealer said to NOT go by the TPS on the bike but to get a GOOD pro model tire gauge & us it. The TPS is mainly to let you know you have a tire problem not to check the true pressure.
Here is what the user manual says about how to use the TPS (page 98):

Temperature compensation

Tyre pressure is a temperaturesensitive variable: pressure increases as tyre temperature rises and decreases as tyre temperature drops. Tyre temperature depends on ambient temperature, on the style of riding and the duration of the ride. The tyre-pressure readings shown by the multifunction display are temperaturecompensated; the reference tyre temperature for these readings is always 20 °C. The air lines available to the public in petrol stations and motorway service areas have gauges that do not compensate for temperature; the reading shown by a gauge of this nature is the temperaturedependent tyre pressure. In most instances, therefore, these gauge readings will not tally with the pressures shown by the multifunction display. The warmer the tyre, the higher the gauge reading by comparison with the reading shown on the display.

Pressure adaptation

Compare the RDC readings on the multifunction display with the value in the table on the inside cover of the Rider's Manual. Then use the air line to compensate for the difference between the RDC reading and the value in the table. Example: According to the Rider's Manual, tyre pressure should be 2.9 bar, but the reading in the multifunction display is 2.7 bar, so pressure is low by 0.2 bar. The gauge on the air line shows 2.5 bar. You must now increase tyre pressure by the 0.2 bar difference between the value in the table and the RDC reading; when the air-line gauge shows 2.7 bar, the tyre is inflated to the correct pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Installed the PR3s this morning then went for a lil 120 mile ride. After I scrubbed the tires in I hit some twistie back roads that I know very well. Man these PR3s stick like glue.. Much better then the Z8s & the Z8s were pretty good tires, I just did not like the way they wore & the short tire life.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
PR2's and 3's

The PR2 and now the PR3 are far and away the favorite tires of people who rode sport touring bikes in the Iron Butt Rally this year. This is a crowd that will post any negative feedback and there has never been any talk of this on the LD Rider List or the IBDone List which is only for IBR Finishers. I think this may have been a bad tire. It happens. I am running PR2's on my R1200RT and will use the 3's when they are done. I do have a brand new set of PR2's mounted on spare wheels.
My GTL I am picking up later today has Bridgestone (yech) as soon as they show wear the PR3's will be going on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I managed to get 5400 out of the Z8's - prolly 300 to 500 more than I should have. I agree that the PR3's are much more predictable, the bikes seems to be stickier in the corners - no clue as to tire wear as I only have a couple hundered miles on them. Another benefit is that the new tires appear to have significantly helped with the left hand pull. Only concern that I have with the PR's is that they seem to get squirrely at speeds in excess of 110ish - feels like the bike is riding on BB's.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My K16GT rear Bridgestone was switched over to a Z8 at 2500 miles due to being down to the wear bars side to side. My origional 'Stone front was changed to a PR3 at 4,000 miles again at the wear bars side to side. Now at 5,200 miles the rear Z8 will be changed to a PR3 within the next 3-400 miles, again worn out.

My GT had the dreaded pull to the left and road rough at speed up to the rear tire switch at 2500 miles but still pulled left. When The front PR3 was installed at the 4,000 mile mark and balanced along with rebalancing the rear the GT became a totally new bike, no pull to the right or left, set the cruise control and ride hands off. Furthermore, when cornering, the bike stayed where put requiring no input to keep the line. Lastly my bike was smooth as glass up to the hi 150's on the GPS.

I think there were problems with the initial batch of OEM Bridgestones. On two of their freshly uncrated K16's after sitting in place for a day or two, San Jose BMW found that the balancing weights had fallen off. I remembered when told this that when I replaced my rear OEM tire myself that there were no balancing weights on my rear rim. It makes sense that there should be because of the Air Pressure sensor installed in the wheel. BTW, my bike was preorder #3.

There is a new Pilot Road 3 for the K16's rear recently approved by BMW, my new '3 is on its way.

·
Registered
626 Posts
How about the left pull issue becoming better with the PR3's? I read elewhere that someone experienced that the left pull was totally gone after changing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
How about the left pull issue becoming better with the PR3's? I read elewhere that someone experienced that the left pull was totally gone after changing.
I had a bad left pull with the original metzlers. I had pr3 installed on the front and I now have a perfectly balanced ride. Nothing else to say!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
just got done with the first 250 miles on my new PR3s. I never had the left pull problem. These are WAY better than the OEMs. They were very expensive hope they last. The original tires road fine but wore out in 5k miles...cuping badly. I kept 42 psi in them, too. I have noticed a little tread like noise with them, but nothing problematic.

·
Registered
173 Posts
just got done with the first 250 miles on my new PR3s. I never had the left pull problem. These are WAY better than the OEMs. They were very expensive hope they last. The original tires road fine but wore out in 5k miles...cuping badly. I kept 42 psi in them, too. I have noticed a little tread like noise with them, but nothing problematic.
Can you clarify the tread noise is it with pr3,s??
Years ago i came up with the fix on the k1200lt by adding puddy tape to the bottom of the fender, I noticed on my k1200gtl has the same harmonic reinationg noise, I think its from the fender.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Can you clarify the tread noise is it with pr3,s??
Years ago i came up with the fix on the k1200lt by adding puddy tape to the bottom of the fender, I noticed on my k1200gtl has the same harmonic reinationg noise, I think its from the fender.
Puddy tape????

·
Registered
365 Posts
I got 6000 miles out of the original Metzeler rear. No road report for PR3 yet (weather sucks), but it's sure a good looker. ;)

FWIW, I currently use Michelin PowerPure on my K12S, having been dissatisfied with other 2CT tires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the noise seams to sound like tires designed for snow. The sound is very minor but when I am not listenning to music it is noticable over the OEM tires. I will try the puddy thing to dampen the fender to see if that is the problem...its VERY minor. I would not trade back to the original tires PERIOD. These tires are excellent.

21 - 40 of 644 Posts