BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 2021 I just received PR5 GT for my ‘19 K1600 GTL. Should I mount them or not? I just heard about rubbing after I ordered the tires. Is it a safety risk?

·
Registered
190 Posts
June 2021 I just received PR5 GT for my ‘19 K1600 GTL. Should I mount them or not? I just heard about rubbing after I ordered the tires. Is it a safety risk?
If the rear is 180/55-17, then you're fine. Otherwise, if it's 190/55-17 get a PR4 GT.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Had a PR5 rear tire mounted on my 2015 GT at a dealer last year, out of state, due to a nail in rear tire that I could not get sealed up after 4 tries to plug it. That was the only tire available that they had on hand. It was close, but did NOT rub the swing arm at all. I ran it until it was worn out with no problems.

I think it varies from bike to bike on a slight amount of variance on clearance. Take a chance on the rear, but no problems on the front. I thought the tire was very grippy in the twisties.

·
KBiK
1,918 Posts
Michelin are not recommending using the PR5 GT on the K1600. If you go to Michelin's site and select the PR5 GT, you will not find a size that matches the K1600.

So if you install the tire and it does rub the swingarm, I doubt that Michelin will replace it for free.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Thank you. The distributor offfered to exchange 190/55 for the 180/50/17. Good option?
If distributor is offer an exchange, exchange 190/55 PR-5 for a 190/55 PR-4.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If distributor is offer an exchange, exchange 190/55 PR-5 for a 190/55 PR-4.
This. Probably better to just get the correct size. Most tires are pretty good these days

·
Q
5,529 Posts
Thank you. The distributor offfered to exchange 190/55 for the 180/50/17. Good option?
Not really. Swap it with a PR4 or Dunlop RS 3 or 4 or Angel GT in the correct size. Theres lots of good tires out there that actually fit the bike rather than run a tire thats the wrong size.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
What @Darbinco said makes complete sense. The PR5 isn't that good to get the wrong size when so many other tires are as good or better and the correct size fits.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
2019 BMW K1600b Grand America
290 Posts
I've had them mounted on my Grand America for the last 5k miles with no issue.

I'm a big fan of both the 4s and 5s.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ran the PR5GT’s F&R for 3,400 miles before I noticed that the rear 😳 was just touching the swingarm - Michelin gave me a FREE 4GT - can’t really tell the difference either in the mountain twisties or on the slab - both perform excellently on my K16GT. Just mounted a new 5GT up front and 4GT rear correctly sized for my ride thru Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado coming up. FWIW: I’ve been a big fan of Michelin PR’s since running the 3’s on my old K12rs and the newer 5GT & 4 GT’s are every bit as good on all terrain including wet !
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Having used PR4's on my K16GT and then trying another tire, I've quickly realized there are so many better tires out there if you are willing to just try. Just ordered my 5th set of Pirelli Angel GT II"s and will never go back.
The tire discussion that never ends 😎

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
It varies from bike to bike and tire to tire I suspect. I'm on my 2nd rear with no rubbing. 2012 GTL. The R5's seem insanely grippy even compared to the grippy PR4s.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
What @Darbinco said makes complete sense. The PR5 isn't that good to get the wrong size when so many other tires are as good or better and the correct size fits.
What exactly is the correct size? The size the tire is marked with or the size the tire actually is? The Mich. R5 is marked as the correct size but it isn't...it is too big even though it claims to be the correct size.

Perhaps the next size down in the R5 (as marked) is actually the correct size??? Perhaps some of the other brand tires marked as the correct size are smaller than nominal making them the same as the "downsized" R5.

I don't have answers here, just offering questions for thought.

·
Registered
820 Posts
What exactly is the correct size? The size the tire is marked with or the size the tire actually is? The Mich. R5 is marked as the correct size but it isn't...it is too big even though it claims to be the correct size.

Perhaps the next size down in the R5 (as marked) is actually the correct size??? Perhaps some of the other brand tires marked as the correct size are smaller than nominal making them the same as the "downsized" R5.

I don't have answers here, just offering questions for thought.
This has been discussed at length in previous threads: FWIW I’ve run many sets of both 190/55 and 180/55 R5GTs and have a slight preference for the 180 to suit my current riding.

The PR4 is ’old technology’ in comparison to the R5, Angel GT2, 01-SE, etc. All tyres are not equal and many current options are using 8+ year old compounds and technology.

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
This has been discussed at length in previous threads: FWIW I’ve run many sets of both 190/55 and 180/55 R5GTs and have a slight preference for the 180 to suit my current riding.

The PR4 is ’old technology’ in comparison to the R5, Angel GT2, 01-SE, etc. All tyres are not equal and many current options are using 8+ year old compounds and technology.
As opposed to using suspension designed 10 years ago? (sorry couldn't resist thato_O).

Reactions: Darbinco

·
Q
5,529 Posts
Them SOB’s stuck to the road 8+ years ago on the same bike... Has bitumen technology changed since then?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts