BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
The 5 GT is planned for early next year.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I took a look at the Michelin site and saw this. I believe it's what Duane is referring to:

MICHELIN Road 5 Standard versus the GT version
The above sizes of MICHELIN Road 5 tires are designed for naked bikes and roadsters such as the Triumph Street Triple and the Suzuki SV650.
Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR require the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires.

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/road-5.html

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I took a look at the Michelin site and saw this. I believe it's what Duane is referring to:

The above sizes of MICHELIN Road 5 tires are designed for naked bikes and roadsters such as the Triumph Street Triple and the Suzuki SV650.
Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR require the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires.

Michelin MICHELIN Road 5 Tire Tires | Michelin USA
That's what I was told as well
Hows Sanger? My dad was born there and Great Grandparents lived there till they died
My Great owned and operated the Sanger Courier

·
Registered
211 Posts

Michelin MICHELIN Road 5 Tire Tires | Michelin USA
Makes me glad I didn't order them now. I didn't know that. I checked the wt/speed rating and thought they were sufficient, but instead I went with my old standby Pirelli Angel GT at $35 cheaper for the set just a couple of weeks ago. I do like the tread design on the Road 5, and suspect I will pony up for a set when the GT version comes out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Road 5GT part #

I spoke with the Michelin C/S rep last week and she said Road 5 GTs were actually in production but not in distribution yet, which could be a few more months wait. The correct part # for the GT version will be 79407 rear and 81056 front.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Anyone try these tires yet? Really interested to hear what kind of miles people are getting on them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Just got back from the MOA rally in Des Moines, Iowa and Michelin rep said GT's now pushed back until late 2019. That sucks!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Just put the Road 5's on my B. The dealer said you can't do that they're not made for the weight of the bike and said I should have put Commander 4 GT's on. I researched the commander and the road and guess what.... they both have the exact same load and speed ratings. Anyway I like the response of the tire much better than the stock bridgestones. I'll let you know how long they last in a few months as I average about 3K/Mo. On a side note don't use balance beads with a tele lever front end they don't work well and will produce a tire bounce at about 80MPH ask me how I know....

Be safe out there

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The load rating on the sidewall is what you need to be concerned with...not tread longevity.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I don't know how you can "Be safe out there" if your installing a tire that's not made for your bike.
Sometimes one has to balance intelligence against what manufactures state as accpetable or or made for x bike or x item or x use due to legal reasons to protect themselves against for fringe cases and nothing more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
While I agree that Michelin calls for the upcoming GT version for the K1600, I don't believe they make tires with the intent to limit them to specific motorcycles. The current Road 5 does meet the the load rating called for in the BMW Rider's Manual. Michelin clearly know what they're doing with tire design, and personally I would take their advice and wait for the GT, but I doubt there's any safety concern with using the standard Road 5 with the 75W rating.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I don't know how you can "Be safe out there" if your installing a tire that's not made for your bike.
Let’s think through a very possible scenario. A heavy duty tire designed for bikes like the 1600 would be rated for the bikes rated weight capacity. That would include a passenger and luggage for rider and passenger. Now let’s say I never ride the bike with a passenger. I can safely say a passenger would add maybe 150 pounds to the load. Wouldn’t it be a logical conclusion the you would not need the heavier duty tire? 150 pounds is a big difference on a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts