BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Ohhh.. man that sucks. Good to hear you kept it up and are ok.

Be interesting to know the parts and labor on your repair. I know that headlight assembly is something like 3k alone.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Unreal! Glad you are relatively unhurt and ok. Welcome to the club btw - you’ve earned your stripes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I centerpunched her at 55 mph, and somehow managed to stay up. The dealer is picking the bike up today. I'm fine, just a sprained wrist.

Not a great start.
Lawrence Grodsky, who started the "Stayin' Safe" on-road motorcycling safety school and was arguably the number one authority on motorcycle safety in the country at one point, was killed by a deer. Ironically, he always told his long-term partner, who was with him long enough to be his common-law wife in some states, that because he travelled a lot and always did it on a motorcycle, a deer is what would kill him, because he could avoid everything else by doing what he taught others, but regardless of what you do, you can't reduce the risk of a deer hit nearly as much as you can the other things.

I know I'd be incredibly mad if my maiden voyage ended like this on a new bike, at least at first, but the safety guy wound up dead, and you're not only still among the living, but only slightly injured. So you may just be really lucky, instead of un-lucky. And this is one more vote for these bikes. No motorcycle is very protective, and I'm not saying so, but just what I've seen anecdotally around here sure makes it look like these big beasties hold up better than most when they have a boo-boo.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Somewhere in the next 7 trillion $ stimulus package, there should be money set aside for a Forest Rat Suicide Prevention Hotline.
You're channelling The Princess Bride: "You mean the ROUS's?" "ROUS's?" "Yes, Rodents of Unusual Size."

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
@Superbee, be thankful it wasn't a horse -- they don't bounce off like deer. Of course, if you want the big "I Crashed My Motorcycle and Survived" prize, here, then you're going to have to take on a train (though I don't suggest it). @Muchmore, I'm sure, used up several of his nine lives on that one. One has to watch where one parks when drunk drivers are in the vicinity, too. ;)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Lawrence Grodsky, who started the "Stayin' Safe" on-road motorcycling safety school and was arguably the number one authority on motorcycle safety in the country at one point, was killed by a deer. Ironically, he always told his long-term partner, who was with him long enough to be his common-law wife in some states, that because he travelled a lot and always did it on a motorcycle, a deer is what would kill him, because he could avoid everything else by doing what he taught others, but regardless of what you do, you can't reduce the risk of a deer hit nearly as much as you can the other things.
Wow. That said, it's HIGHLY unusual that I don't see a few deer within the last several miles to my lane. What am I to do, stop riding? Yeah, right. You rolls the dice, you takes your chances.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Very glad you have come through this with so little injury. Sorry about the bike but that is what insurance is for.

So many long distance riders and tourers have discussed with me how much they fear the forest rats. I have had more than a few very close calls with small deer, deer, elk and even mouse that i agree with their concern.

But I fear the idiot on their cell phone even more....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very unfortunate to have a accident within a few miles of purchasing a new bike but the bike can be replaced, I'm glad to hear you kept the bike upright and didn't suffer any serious injuries.

·
Registered
981 Posts
OH SH!T!!

Thank the gods you are "ok" sir. Inconsiderate wildlife!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not even thirty **** miles on your new bike...that sucks! Nevertheless, hitting a dear that size at 55 and staying up is pretty impressive. Thank God you're okay and will live to ride another day. These deer strike stories really scare the crap out of me.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Wow. That said, it's HIGHLY unusual that I don't see a few deer within the last several miles to my lane. What am I to do, stop riding? Yeah, right. You rolls the dice, you takes your chances.
Here's the great thing in many places, though. Grodsky bought it in a freak accident quite a few years ago, and now, the deer in my neck of the woods have learned to get out of the way of cars most of the time, because the nutty ones who freaked have mostly been killed off and can't reproduce.

I have literally seen both of these things, the first one on many separate occasions:
1. Lead doe calmly walks up to the edge of the road, looks left, right, and left again, just like a teacher with kindergarteners, before leading the rest of the group across the road.

2. I was riding with a friend in his land barge sedan headed out in the middle of nowhere to a country church on a Wednesday night. We're late, so he takes a shortcut, a narrow tar and chip road headed up a typical TN hill. Huge,16-point buck in the middle of the road sees us coming, and calmly steps into the ditch on the left of the road, with a straight up rock face to his left, trapping him in, to let us by. We slow down as we pass him, and as we do so, he calmly glares at us, as if he was annoyed at having to wait for us to pass. "Could y'all hurry it up, please, so I can get on with my business?" He walks slowly across the road after we pass.

With tons more people living in what was FORMERLY the middle of nowhere, a lot of the not-so-dumb deer have figured out the cars and roads thing. It's no guarantee, and people still do get hit by them, but there are more of them (hunting isn't as popular as it used to be when I was a kid), and despite more people on the roads, too, deer accidents have gone down, at least in Middle-TN.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Service Manger at the dealer said he'd have the repair estimate done late today. If they total it, I get back on the road quickly. If they repair it, I wait. But, I will be able to put a Kill (Victory) Mark on the bike.
IF you get your bike back, you HAVE to do that, no kidding. A little Bambi with a circle and a line through it.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts