BMW K1600 Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
as a fellow survivor of such a terrorist attack, glad you appear to have no lasting physical issues. Wonder if your deer was in the same terror cell as my 200+ pounder?! (We attempted to waterboard mine for info but sadly passed before giving up some intel!)
Best of luck on the insurance process, whether totaled or repaired. Mine was totaled with less visible damage than yours but I also had quite a few miles on mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Props for staying upright. I couldn't and my 2018 was totaled last month. Over $22k in damages. Once the engine casing is damaged, it's done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe I should remove my crash bars - a hit like that and I won’t want it back / rebuilt.
I was wondering what difference engine guards would have made too. The dealership owner was pretty clear though that if a 1600 goes down at speed, it is almost certainly a total loss. Casing damage just guarantees it. The insurance adjuster's estimate was over $22k but although I didn't see the dealership's estimate, my understanding was that it was substantially more than that.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Maybe I should remove my crash bars - a hit like that and I won’t want it back / rebuilt.
There is a bit of truth in your statement. Before engine guards became the norm when the K1600 was released any amount of side case damage almost always resulted in a totaled motorcycle. Some incredible money was spent by insurance companies on these bikes.
Rick H.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Mine included. Replacing the engine and the labor costs just about as much as a new bike. Progressive totaled my 2012. Got a sweet deal on a 2013.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The "walk around" quote was $7044.99, they are taking panels and parts off starting tomorrow. They said that number will go up.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts