BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 GT with 8800 miles that seems to be running on 5 cylinders.

It happened abruptly while cruising at around 80 MPH. I thought I was running out of fuel at first because the gauge was near empty. One minute all was smooth, then it started misfiring. I have every reason to believe the plugs are original, but I am not blaming them because of the low mileage.

I have run some Liqui Moly Jectron fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank, but that did not help. I don't have a 911 to read codes.

Has anyone got any idea what may be wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
oof a bike that old, coils seem like a likely issue. I ran on 5 cylinders for a while simply because I hadn't the luxury of paying a king's ransom to a dealer to do the work. Eventually, I found and ordered all the necessary tools for it, did the work myself.
@kakalika Does the check engine light come on and then maybe occasionally go off? Mine did that.

If it's noticeable enough that it runs legitimately rough and has trouble starting, you likely have one or more coil(s) failing.

I refer to that light as the master caution light, same as on a jet. Sometimes referred to as the oh sh-- light.

Without a diagnostic unit, you won't know which coil it is specifically. There might be ways of guessing, but why bother?

·
Registered
741 Posts
No, there is no check engine light.
It could be many things, such as bad fuel, fuel pump or injectors........ but it still seems more likely to be a failed coil stick.

The bike needs hooking up to a dealer diagnostic or a GS911 to clarify.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
is the misfire coincidental with speed / rpm / temperature / run time ?

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
I agree with the others that You probably have a bad coil. We don't know for sure until you read the codes. If it is a coil it's a complicated fix so if your not handy and your without tools you need to take it in so they can give you a proper diagnosis. I think the reason a coil or two goes bad is water intrusion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently had a bad running/misfire with my 17 Bagger. It was only at low speed and there were no engine lights on. Took it to the dealers and importantly, there was nothing showing on the diagnostics, however there was clearly an issue. Half a days tinkering by them found a faulty ignition coil. That was replaced and all is sweet again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe this is the issue with mine, as stated on this thread by members. I will get a new coil, and hopefully a 911 and replace it. Just got some pressing family issues to deal with right now. I will post back here soon about what happened

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!!!!! Ok, a few months have passed and I have a 911. Going to learn how to use it and report back here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I hooked up my new GS 911 and did an autoscan. There were a lot of stored codes that were no longer present, but nothing related to the coils. I was expecting to see something like a misfire on cylinder X. I was able to test the injectors and they were fine. Anyway, i cleared all the stored codes and scanned again. No codes found. I was thinking maybe spark plugs??? The bike has less than 9000 miles on it, but it is a 2013. Would the 911 detect a bad plug?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
a bad plug wouldn't show as a coil issue. I had a long running issue that showed as coil 2 which i replaced 3 times, the last time i swapped out 2 and 5 (due to firing sequence) and that cleared that issue. 9000 is not a great mileage. If the fault still persists then you can halve the location by listen to the exhaust with a tube as left and right three combine into each side

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmmm The plot thickens. Went to speak to my local dealer about my misfiring issue. He says the GS911 will not indicate a bad coil because the failure is intermittent. He says I need to replace all the coils because they were all bad on the early bikes. 6 hours of labor and 6 new coils!!!!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Hmmmm The plot thickens. Went to speak to my local dealer about my misfiring issue. He says the GS911 will not indicate a bad coil because the failure is intermittent. He says I need to replace all the coils because they were all bad on the early bikes. 6 hours of labor and 6 new coils!!!!
Not all bad on the early bikes, least not mine at 70k mi. Going in the shop next month for my 1st valve check, plugs, etc. (the big one!). I don't recommend going this long between plugs/valves. But I do recommend long distances in the saddle!

·
Registered
95 Posts
From all the years of turning wrenches, I have NEVER seen or heard of a single incident where a multi ignition coil engine had a failure of all its coils. Not once.

If you have an accurate ohm meter and I’m talking digital, you may be able to diagnose a faulty coil. Not knowing the proper resistance of a k1600 ignition coil could present a problem however, you may be able to figure that out on your own. Unless the k1600 coils have a unique configuration, it will have 2 leads. Take a reading of each coil and document the reading. Fortunately we have a 6 coil motor. That means you can calculate a mean reading after evaluating all the coils. If you have a one bad coil, your readings will indicate the faulty coil by having high resistance reading.

Then there is another method of tracking down a faulty coil. Basically, it involves installing a brand new coil in each cylinder location until your motor runs smooth. To help the guessing game, pull each plug and inspect it. If one plug looks slightly different from the rest, that cylinder may have the faulty coil.

A diagnosis of six coils all going bad at once, that’s extremely difficult for me to believe.

·
Registered
95 Posts
One more thing I would like to add. If you want to speed up the process of finding a faulty coil by replacing them, use 3 brand new coils. It’s a coin toss at that point.

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
My GS911wifi must be special, it's shown 'which' coil is bad on 3 forum members K1600s and was correct each time. And, oh yea, your dealer mechanic is FOS for saying you need to replace ALL coils... And lastly, 6 hours labor to change coils? BS, that's the labor time for valve check; minus about 2 hours for just coils.

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
My GS911wifi must be special, it's shown 'which' coil is bad on 3 forum members K1600s and was correct each time. And, oh yea, your dealer mechanic is FOS for saying you need to replace ALL coils... And lastly, 6 hours labor to change coils? BS, that's the labor time for valve check; minus about 2 hours for just coils.

Duane
^^^What he says!!!^^^

1 - 20 of 46 Posts