BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to think about next year's trip now so we can tweak it a few times between now and then. We've ridden all the New England states and Mid Atlantic and Southern Atlantic, now I'm looking at Canada.
I have been to Quebec City and loved it, also love Montreal so starting there seems appropriate.

The ride straight up I-87 to Plattsburgh NY would be about 500 miles so that'll be day 1
Next day, get to Montreal and enjoy a day/night there.
Head to Ottawa for another day.
Spend at least one day in Toronto, I really want to see the HHOF.
We can then wiggle our way home through NY and Pa.

Bigger question.....worthwhile to start in QC for an extra day and see the city then proceed to Montreal or???

Help me out Eastern Canadians

·
Techmeister
1,464 Posts
If I can add color from an American's perspective; Quebec QC rocks. In contrast to Montreal, which is cosmopolitan and vibrant, Quebec is provincial and romantic. "Le Quebecois" are wonderful people. I always identify myself as a New Englander before an American there because of the special relationship shared between the two. If you want to truly impress someone with a very romantic time, go to Quebec.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,871 Posts
Not much between Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto except heavy traffic. For a killer ride don't overlook north west of Quebec City; the Gaspe Peninsula.

Duane

·
Registered
402 Posts
I went to Quebec City this summer on a lark. Turns out we arrived during their summer festival.
Many of the downtown streets were barricaded. All the bars and restaurants set up tables and chairs in the street.
There were dozens and dozens of things going on.

A number of free concerts and some big name concerts. In the recent years
Keith Urban, Rolling stones and such have appeared.

Oh yea, and crowds. Lots of people to watch.

Great time, will go back next year with a little planning.

There are some great rides in Quebec. On the North or West side of the Saint Lawrence is the Saguenay area.
On the East side is the entire Gaspe Peninsular. Really nice ride along the shore. The Gaspe and Pence are must do's.

I hope to head back up there next week maybe the week after. I will post pictures if I make it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not much between Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto except heavy traffic. For a killer ride don't overlook north west of Quebec City; the Gaspe Peninsula.

Duane

I would respectfully disagree with this statement.
Traffic is heavy but Hwy 344 from Montreal to Ottawa is a nice ride. Also Hwy 7 from Ottawa to Oshawa has long picturesque stretches if you like country roads. Oshawa to Toronto is **** on wheels.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I totally agree with Csaba. I've done both of those routes numerous times. The Hwy 7 can be a little frustrating if there's much traffic unless you have some real power under your wrist (like a K1600). The scenery on both routes is great.
I would respectfully disagree with this statement.
Traffic is heavy but Hwy 344 from Montreal to Ottawa is a nice ride. Also Hwy 7 from Ottawa to Oshawa has long picturesque stretches if you like country roads. Oshawa to Toronto is **** on wheels.

·
Outta This World
1,732 Posts
If you are trying to make time there is no convenient route that intersects the axis of scenery, roads, and time. If you want less traffic, take your route slightly north of HWY 7 up around rice lake, up through Bobcaygeon, and across. If you really want to see Ontario, go further north, the riding picks up in quality as you go out of the GTA.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did change plans a bit, we'll start in Quebec City for 3 days then stop in Montreal for 2 and finally Toronto for 2 so I can see the hockey HOF. Trip starts July 10.
making time on these trips is counter productive, if it happens, it happens, if not I'm fine with taking the scenic route every day.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I did change plans a bit, we'll start in Quebec City for 3 days then stop in Montreal for 2 and finally Toronto for 2 so I can see the hockey HOF. Trip starts July 10.
making time on these trips is counter productive, if it happens, it happens, if not I'm fine with taking the scenic route every day.
Keep this in mind for your trip next summer, the Hippolyte Lafontaine Tunnel in Montreal will be in a 4 years renovation and traffic is going to be a major PIA. This tunnel permits you to cross the Saint-Laurent river to Montreal on Highway 20 Ouest (West).

I would suggest the you take Highway 40 Ouest (West) to Montreal to avoid the construction in the tunnel.

Best regards,

Robert

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK friends from the North, considering it's almost June 1st, what's the situation in Quebec, Montreal and Toronto currently? Are restaurants open yet?

·
Mr.Fix It
6,871 Posts
@Jonnybow , you probably know this, but the Canadian/US border is still closed. "Scheduled" to reopen 21 June. Now that the NHL has announced there won't be any play-off hockey in Canada until the border opens I expect Trudeau to have a change of heart...

Duane

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Jonnybow , you probably know this, but the Canadian/US border is still closed. "Scheduled" to reopen 21 June. Now that the NHL has announced there won't be any play-off hockey in Canada until the border opens I expect Trudeau to have a change of heart...

Duane
I hope so, my trip is scheduled for 11 July.......I'm not cancelling even though the wife says we won't be able to go

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am from eastern Ontario right on Quebec border and NY State Border. If going to Qc and or Montreal, I would definitely take trip just a little north of Montreal to Mont Tremblant. The village is really nice with all kinds of patios, shops etc. Many little mountain villages and towns. The mountain roads roads and views are perfect for riding. Quebec Provincial park there that is a nice ride. When leaving area I believe it is the 327 which is a windy road that travels west and will get you to Lachute Que next to Hawkesbury Ont. Great road to ride.

Then can take HWY 17 along south side of Ottawa river for about 30min into Ottawa.

Or you can stay on Quebec side travel west on Hwy 148 on the north side of the Ottawa river and into Gatineau. Gatineau is directly accross from Ottawa and about 5 - 10 min drive. On this side in between Lachute and Gatineau is a spot called Montebello which is a nice place on the river.

Not sure what route I would take to get to Toronto. Never biked their but been many times in car. Never tried mapping road to get there on nice roads for bike. Hwy 401 or 417 is direct route but a long boring ride on slab 4-5 hrs into concrete jungle. Not sure I would like to ride in Toronto. Hwy 401 is one of the busiest Hwys in North America. Boring as ****. But if time is priority then this is easiest and quickest.

Consider going west Hwy 7 from Ottawa and making a trip around Lake Simcoe to Orillia, Barrie, Wasaga Beach area which is beautiful cottage country. Lots of interesting roads in that area and scenic. It will take time but definitely better roads for bikes

Hope this helps
Donny

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK friends from the North, considering it's almost June 1st, what's the situation in Quebec, Montreal and Toronto currently? Are restaurants open yet?
As of today most just have take out and delivery

One city not far from my place, Kingston Ontario is pretty much open. Thinking it wont be long now for Ontario until things open completely but will have conditions such as half occupancy for distancing. Keeping fingers crossed it is in next few weeks

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like the Canadian govt just extended the border closure until the end of July. I cancelled my reservations. Headed to Gatlinburg Tn for the same week now.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Mr.Fix It
6,871 Posts
The border crossing extension is really pi$$ing me off. Looks like Gary, @nwmkt1, won't be joining us for our "K1600s Tame the West" ride. Sorry Gary, we'll post photos just for you.

Duane

Reactions: Prince

·
Soupa Mod
2,421 Posts

Even if the border was open for your trip you would need to self quarantine for 14 days,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts