BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 K1600B
372 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends. I just popped in to this store today; layover in CLT. Beautiful store and quite a good selection.
My puzzlement (is that a word?) is nobody really gave a rip that I was in the store! Is this anyone’s experience here or elsewhere? I mean really, how am I to buy a bike, or would I, if nobody cares that I am in the store?
I’ve been in other stores where this was the case and others where the sales folks were happy to at least greet me and have a bullshit session. How do these dealers expect to sell bikes if they don’t show any interest in a customer standing right in front of them?

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Unfortunately, it is about supply & demand. Supply is Limited & Demand is High. Buyers are putting down refundable deposits on bikes at many BMW Motorrad Dealers for bikes that have not even arrived yet just so, they can try them out. This not only true at BMW dealerships. A riding buddy had to waited 3 months for DCT automatic Honda. FYI- The Charolette, NC store is one of the best stocked dealerships in my area.

Best,

Doc :unsure:

·
Registered
2018 K1600B
372 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. Well stocked store, with many used bikes that were nice.

·
Registered
2019 BMW K1600b Grand America
492 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I find BMW dealerships tend to be lower pressure and allow you to browse, sit on bikes, etc., and only assist you if you ask for assistance. I understand how this can feel like they don't care, but I prefer that behavior to the dealerships who are all over you. I have always been able to test ride a bike at a BMW dealership. Other brands often say 'dealership policy is no test rides' or 'let me ask the general manager as we usually don't allow'. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't buy a vehicle that I can't test drive.

Reactions: tsuintx

·
Registered
707 Posts
I know this store very well. The owner Mark and all his staff are super helpful it would be a rare event for them not to try and help a person.

There inventory is excellent as is there parts and service.

Went in the other day to buy a GSA but ESA was not available on any instock.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Your experience is the norm now. It seems most BMW dealers, well, most vehicle dealers, are now operating on the old "Service Merchandise" store strategy, or, as I like to say, the Soviet East German model of retail. You look at the one item on display, or more likely a picture in a brochure, you tell them you want that particular thing, they tell you we'll call when it arrives, you leave. You pay top dollar, well, because you will, dealer takes 5 minutes filling out paperwork and you drive off. Today's world unfortunately. I'm just happy knowing I grew up in a time where I could always beat a dealer up and have been doing so for the last 30 years. Guess it's their turn now. Every time I go to my local BMW dealer, there is always like one guy working the sales floor, answering calls, etc. No one else. One guy in parts, one guy in service.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
The new normal in many places. Labor is lacking and costs are rising. It might be a while before things settle down. Locally in Tampa, the sales staff is very present and available to assist when it's wanted. The store was very busy the day I was there. That might have to do with the pancakes being served for everyone. My bike was being serviced and I was given a loaner, an R18 for a few hours. Tampa dealer has a store in Orlando and Daytona. I can't wait for Fall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I lived in the Charlotte area, I purchased three motorcycles from them. Also, had all service/repairs done there. Purchased some gear. A+ experiences. I like that they organized rides. They have coffee and doughnuts while waiting for service or just hanging out. The sales people I dealt with all had first hand experience with BMW bikes, and always gave me valuable information.
I am in Las Vegas now, I will just say it is not the same. Perhaps since C, customer service seems to have taken a dive almost everywhere and has yet to recover.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GS Adventure Triple Black
945 Posts
Everyone that comes in should at least be acknowledged. At least with a, "Let me know if I can assist you with anything or answer any questions." At least that store isn't being taken over by Specialized Electric Bicycles like Sierra BMW in Sparks is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts