BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last set, @KCMO Steve was gracious enough to have me up and show me how to do it on his NoMar. This time, I just wanted to give it a try. I had picked up a Marc Parnes and some spoons. I did the front tire first. I knew it would be the easier of the two. It took a couple hours to get set up, jack it up, remove it from the bike, dismount the old and mount the new and get it back on the bike. I came back after lunch and torqued it down.

Then, I pulled the rear tire. Yikes! I don’t know that I’ll ever try that again. Maybe, but dang I may be getting too old to wrestle on the garage floor. I’m feeling it tonight. That was more than a couple hours. I took a break in the middle and regrouped. I ended up using zip ties too keep it off the bead and in the drop center to get it fully mounted. Could not do it without them. Maybe I’ll save up for a tire machine and try to burn a couple pairs of tires each year to make it worth it!!

Marc Parnes is da bomb!! Definitely worth it.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Last set, @KCMO Steve was gracious enough to have me up and show me how to do it on his NoMar. This time, I just wanted to give it a try. I had picked up a Marc Parnes and some spoons. I did the front tire first. I knew it would be the easier of the two. It took a couple hours to get set up, jack it up, remove it from the bike, dismount the old and mount the new and get it back on the bike. I came back after lunch and torqued it down.

Then, I pulled the rear tire. Yikes! I don’t know that I’ll ever try that again. Maybe, but dang I may be getting too old to wrestle on the garage floor. I’m feeling it tonight. That was more than a couple hours. I took a break in the middle and regrouped. I ended up using zip ties too keep it off the bead and in the drop center to get it fully mounted. Could not do it without them. Maybe I’ll save up for a tire machine and try to burn a couple pairs of tires each year to make it worth it!!

Intestinal fortitude always pays off James! Good on you for not quitting!

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
You're the man for doing it with spoons on your knees.(y)

I've mounted 3 sets of RS3 on my NoMar and No More. I just mounted Avons and Joy. I get the same mileage from both brands (around 9,000 miles) and even though the RS3 are cheaper I'll never mount another set of RS3 and no I'm not going to buy a Weaver just so I can.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts

Oh, come on, it can't be that bad, can it? Suck it up, Buttercup. 😉

Changing tires is easy... I take the wheels off the bike, take them to a local shop and they mount and balance both for $50. Money well spent, for me!

Reactions: jdpalmer1

·
Registered
502 Posts
Same story here. I have the NoMar too. I was installing a set of the PR5GT’s a couple of weeks ago. I could do the front by myself but no way on the rear. NoMar on You Tube make it ok so easy . Even a small gal could do it . I lubed the shirt out of rear but no way. I took it to the shop and they popped it on for me. Getting too old for that stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does one crave a cigarette after one spoons their rear tire on the garage floor? :rolleyes:
Ha! Not quite that exhilarating. More like a heating pad and ibuprofen!!

·
Registered
183 Posts

Zip-tie method is the way to go....

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Watch the Video using the NoMar putting on a Goldwing tire, it was helpful with the RS3

Reactions: J-Luv
1 - 10 of 10 Posts