BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of possibly getting a BMW 1600, but am not certain of what model in this series.
For those of you that made the move from Harley what do you like about it?
I like my Road King but, I know that will be my last Harley. So I am thinking BMW.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am thinking of possibly getting a BMW 1600, but am not certain of what model in this series.
For those of you that made the move from Harley what do you like about it?
I like my Road King but, I know that will be my last Harley. So I am thinking BMW.
Kevins007 what I would do is test ride all 4 models gtl, gt, bagger and a grand america and see which one fits you the best. A bagger or grand america would be the closest to a harley. In the end you need to see which fits you the best.GOOD LUCK!

·
Q
5,298 Posts
I went from Road Glide to a GTL. I cant say the ergo's are even near the same as your feet are under you on the GTL instead of out in front on the RG‘s. A change I was looking for as the sofa ergo's on the Harleys just dont cut it anymore for the lower back.

The best advice I could give you is to ride all of them to find which like more. All these models do have their pro's and con's though. You will have to sort through them to see whats best for you. Personally, I like the GTL and if I were to do a different one it would be the GT. The ergos of the B and GA dont get it done for me, neither does the speed limiter on the GA. Plus... I dont like the difficulty of the top case on either the B or the GA. Its difficult and expensive to add on a B and to take off on a GA were as it takes 60 seconds to remove or install on the GT/GTL.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I went from Road Glide to a GTL. I cant say the ergo's are even near the same as your feet are under you on the GTL instead of out in front on the RG‘s. A change I was looking for as the sofa ergo's on the Harleys just dont cut it anymore for the lower back.

The best advice I could give you is to ride all of them to find which like more. All these models do have their pro's and con's though. You will have to sort through them to see whats best for you. Personally, I like the GTL and if I were to do a different one it would be the GT. The ergos of the B and GA dont get it done for me, neither does the speed limiter on the GA. Plus... I dont like the difficulty of the top case on either the B or the GA. Its difficult and expensive to add on a B and to take off on a GA were as it takes 60 seconds to remove or install on the GT/GTL.
Bagger with the Lazy Rider bag on rear works great !
ED0F9B01-2900-4EAD-B7EB-64BE23207A2C.jpeg

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am going to have to do some test drives to figure this out. I really like the look of the bagger.
And I know the speed limiter can be deleted with a tune. Thanks for the reply’s.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,065 Posts
Good luck with the new bike. Be sure to ride them. In my HD days I was a big fan of the Road King; e.g. had a '99 and put 125,000 miles on it. You may 'think' it's logical to go from a Road King to a K Bagger. But I caution you against using your eyes vice your brain when selecting a K1600 model. I've been on a GT for about 8 years. If you gave me a Bagger it would be listed on Craigslist/eBay this afternoon. :) Good luck with your transition.

Duane

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I went from a SG to a K12GT to a K16GT.
Like Duane, I wouldn't ride a bagger if it was filled with gold, not a fan.
Ride em all, let your body tell you which one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Kevins007
Like most of said go to your BMW dealership and ride them all, because they all have a different feel. I rode the Grand America at a Daytona Beach rally and was impressed enough to buy one when I got home. You can change your riding position on each model for your riding position and comfort by seat, bar risers, high way pegs ect. Yes a Bren tuning will turn the newer models into a non neutered bike. There is a seat for every ass just find the right seat for you. Enjoy Bob

·
Registered
132 Posts
Kevins007,
I went from an Indian Springfield (similar to the HD RK) to the K1600 GTL. Someone earlier mentioned that the ergonomics are the same. IMO, they are totally different. I was totally surprised how comfortable the GTL is under long stretches ( 4 hrs+); beyond that I had issues with the OEM seat but not with my legs or back cramping. The seat issue was later fixed with a Russell Day Long.
All in all, I find the GTL to be technologically superior to the American V-twin thus far. The differences are more noticeable under spirited riding. The new HDs now come with optional features that try to bridge the gap but the OEM suspension and its control have remained unchanged as far as I know. IMO, the GTL is simply a better engineered motorcycle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Road King has a low seat height, doesn't have the top box, so does the bagger. I came off a Road Glide, so the GA was my preference. I went from a Harley sport bike (guys you can stop laughing now-its a T-sport) to Road Glides for the comfort and storage. I do like the top box, easy to grab stuff. The BMW 1600 is just lots of fun, which is why I started riding. You'll love any of the 1600s. Do try them all. I think the bagger is closest to a Road King, but still miles ahead in the the fun zone. GT is the best performer, but the all perform great!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bagger with the Lazy Rider bag on rear works great ! View attachment 144534
This is a good option and probably as closest to the Road King as you will get to having no rear box, being lower slung, and still having the foot boards for distance in case you miss them on occasions. How many times did you sit at 100mph on the road king? From what I remember of them it was too much effort getting there and holding a speed it was not comfortable to be sitting at - not that it could not do it, it was just not relaxing to do it.

I was looking at a CVO Ultra LTD a few weeks back when looking at changing my GTL as I think they look good, but on returning from the test I was in no illusion it was not a fraction of the bike the K1600 is, and I promptly bought a new GA after trying a Goldwing also just so I knew I was doing the right thing.

You can't argue with putting your money where your mouth is (y)

James

·
Upside Down
1,363 Posts

I agree with the ergonomic side as I went from a GTL to an Indian Roadmaster then back to the GTL and the Roadmaster outweighed the GTL for comfort, but the GTL is way more fun as with all the K1600`s they all have the benefit of being fast, Handel like a train on the tracks and a great reliable bike. I suggest test ride each one and go with what you feel the most comfortable on. As mentioned above the GT and GTL have the advantage of being able to take the luggage off in seconds with the GA and Bagger the luggage is a lot more difficult as they are meant to have that stay on the bike. Good luck in your search, the only other thing I can add is that the K1600 stereo systems are crap and having to add a GPS might be a disadvantage to you but most of that can be addressed with Bluetooth Coms such as a Packtalk or Sena unit and your mobile phone.

Reactions: kevins007

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Good luck with the new bike. Be sure to ride them. In my HD days I was a big fan of the Road King; e.g. had a '99 and put 125,000 miles on it. You may 'think' it's logical to go from a Road King to a K Bagger. But I caution you against using your eyes vice your brain when selecting a K1600 model. I've been on a GT for about 8 years. If you gave me a Bagger it would be listed on Craigslist/eBay this afternoon. :) Good luck with your transition.

Duane
And don't listen to this guy. Make up your own mind about the bike. Luckily BMW is really generous about allowing test rides and typically they are very low pressure dealers.

I wouldn't limit it to just the K1600's either. I would look at the RT, GS, and the XR. Sit on a bunch and see what floats your boat. It's a GREAT time to be looking at bikes as you can't really go wrong with anything on the market.

james

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I have had Harley touring bikes since 1987. My last one was a C.V.O . In 2014 I picked up a 2014 GTLE. This bike was to top heavy for me(I never droped a bike untill I got this one) could be my age I will be 74 in October. I traded for a 2018 GA could not be happier. Three times the bike that the C.V.O. was.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is going to be a decision that is made up over time. On my way back from Montana on my Harley, I am going to stop at a couple of BMW dealers to look around. The one that was in Milwaukee, WI went out of business.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Like some of the others here, I came from a Harley (road glide) to a GT. For me personally, the bagger was too similar to what I already had. I know the motor is a lot better and all that, but I wanted to get back into a more focused riding position and still have an all day comfortable type bike. At first I was pretty set on a GTL, but the demo ride killed that for me, the seating position just didn’t work for me, the GT imnediately felt better. I agree with the advice on riding them all, because you won’t really know until you spend a little time on one

1 - 20 of 62 Posts