BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 BMW K 1600 GT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a K1600GT after 16 years of Yamaha FJR1300. It is a new refreshing experience. Here it is in one of the first excursions. Having bought it at the end of October, I guess I have to wait for next spring to do some long range trip. For the moment I take any slot of nice weather to get familiar with the big animal.

And here is the predecessor, 2016, 62000km driven:

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Welcome! Beautiful backdrop!! (y)

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Congrats! Lovely pics and bike. Welcome to the forum. Glad you're here.
It's interesting...I've noticed that several members have come from the FJR, including me. Many others from the Honda ST. Most of the rest would be from BMW LTs, RTs, and K1200 and K1300. Now, with the semi-recent introduction of the B, there are more and more HD and Victory converts with a handful of 'wings and Rune converts. Not a scientific study, just generalizations. Hope you enjoy the forum and the bike. I would love to see and ride around Switzerland. Stunning.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
2020 BMW K 1600 GT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's early for a comparison, just first impressions. As mentioned already, FJR is a great bike. Although we sometimes behave like football fans, we must admit that many bikes have very good qualities, and all have their own pitfalls, so at the end of the day it goes with your taste. For me, after only 2500km on the K1600, I notice just a few things. Although significantly heavier (a good 10%), the K1600 seems to have a slightly lower center of gravity. The power doesn't look extremely different, but the torque is overwhelming. I also love the sound of the 6 cyl, with its higher pitch. I find the K lighter to corner, and in particular easier to correct. The FJR tends to keep the initial trajectory, and is very stable and fast if you start correctly the cornering, but if you want to change requires energy.
The opposite happens when manoeuvring. Putting it on the center stand is for me a challenge (170, or 5'7" by 66kg/146lb). But the reverse gear is a gift from heaven. My wife finds still very difficult to get to the seat, although she think this one is even more comfortable and quiet. And it takes her longer to start complaining for a pause.
Funny enough, I think the FJR is sporting a bigger top case, although I haven't yet undertaken a multi day tour with my wife, which is the real test of luggage capacity.
Why did I change from FJR to K1600? I couldn't tell, but I'm very happy. Basically I love the exaggerated torque.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!
Nice motorcycles. They look like twin sons from different mothers!

Joe

·
Upside Down
1,629 Posts
Congratulations and wow what a fantastic background in those photos. Enjoy your bike and this great forum, welcome from Australia.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,478 Posts
Welcome on board and I envy you for your riding environment that you cover with these two great bikes. I hope we all can ride across Europe again next year as we are used to.
BTW: I didnt realize that the 2020 GT was available with the silver engine and the black wheels, great contrast between the tupperware and the vital parts.......

·
Registered
2020 BMW K 1600 GT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome on board and I envy you for your riding environment that you cover with these two great bikes. I hope we all can ride across Europe again next year as we are used to.
BTW: I didnt realize that the 2020 GT was available with the silver engine and the black wheels, great contrast between the tupperware and the vital parts.......
Actually I got it from the showroom, and I made a small extra bargain as it was manufactured in 2019. Although I got it new three weeks ago. That might be the reason. On the Swiss configurator it seems to come now with a dark engine. I don't care, all the characteristics are the same except these details.

·
Registered
72 Posts
like the photo and backdrop
i was up in the french alps in 2018 on my girl and as you would know the roads going up have some tight bends i was surprised how well the k16 it did up and down to the ski lifts
enjoy and with any luck back out there next year
and wellcome
20201017_071126.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
like the photo and backdrop
i was up in the french alps in 2018 on my girl and as you would know the roads going up have some tight bends i was surprised how well the k16 it did up and down to the ski lifts
enjoy and with any luck back out there next year
and wellcome View attachment 147540
Much prefer the silver wheels. How did you end up with those on your bike?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts