BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Recently, a gasoline station about a mile from my house started selling ethanol-free gasoline. .......
Thanks for asking this question. It's been on my mind and you went ahead and got me some answers. What was the octane rating on the gas you bought? From what I read here, I should go 89+.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Perhaps none. In fact, regular gasoline may have a higher energy content per unit weight than premium.

So does bunker oil, and Diesel but we're talking low compression (relatively) gasoline engines designed to run with a higher air mixture where the oomph comes from, not caloric potential.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think that perhaps we were looking at two aspects of the same idea. The chemical energy stored in a pound of gasoline is not affected by the engine it is burned in. However, the work possibly derived from that same unit of gas is very much dependent on the efficiency of the engine. That's where a higher octane number can help. There's been some discussion of the idea of eliminating regular (87 octane) gas in the U.S. in favor of one flavor - premium. That would have a positive impact on the achievable mileage possibilities with cars that can take advantage of it. I doubt it will ever happen here, but an interesting idea nonetheless. High compression is good if you have the fuel for it.

·
Upside Down
1,466 Posts
Just buy the best fuel you get your hands on and if it is the higher Ron etc then your only ever going to be paying a few extra dollars to know it is better for your engine and peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Murphy USA sells the 91 octane Ethanol free. Works for me..... I have been using it and for sure on the last tank back at home when putting the bike up for a few days. Otherwise I try to get the Murphy first, or the Shell second.

www.pure-gas.org

Andy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Its not about energy so much any more, its about duration of burn and efficiency of the burn. That's why the atomization of fuel is so important especially with diesel engines which are more efficient to start with. If you look at the new gas engines you start to see more super chargers and turbo's like diesel engines have had forever. The thing that is interesting is they are starting increase the anatomization in gas engines like they have done with diesel as well. Its all for not because by the time they figure it out we will have electric cars and hydrogen semi's. Right now is a hot rodders dream high HP off the Lott that has never been seen before. Grab it while you can because its almost over. Self driving cars any one?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts