BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had posted an introduction on the new member's thread but I can't find it so I'm starting this one. I bought my 2018 GTL just before going in for knee replacement surgery last October. Even though I haven't been able to ride it very much I love it as it's so much easier to handle than my K1200LT was.

I was unable to acquire any service records from the previous owner so when we had a couple of warm days about a week ago I took it to the dealer for service and found out there were a couple of recalls. One was for the transmission that I have heard a couple of members mention and the other was a software update. It is finished and ready to be picked up now but too cold for me to ride (0 this morning) so it is waiting at the dealer for warmer weather.

I talked to the service manager about aftermarket exhaust and his opinion was Remus was the best so I ordered one for what I think was a pretty good price, $1600 shipped. Buster Brown delivered it yesterday and I must say the workmanship is first-rate, a work of art. I can hardly wait to install it so I can hear the sweet sound of my 6.

When I was first able to hobble out to my garage I ordered a 7jurock windshield to cut down on buffeting I'm hoping. I haven't had a chance to take any pictures of it with the windshield installed yet but here she is when I first brought her home.

I have also installed a pair of crash bars for the panniers.

I also added a pair of Lidlox to the handlebars which will be handy this summer when the wife and I start touring.

I also added this Farkle which I really like.

The led is blue when the ignition is on and flashes amber with the turn signal.

As soon as I get my beautiful titanium and carbon fiber mufflers installed I will post pictures. If anyone has suggestions for useful accessories I'm listening.

·
Upside Down
2,519 Posts
Congratulations you will love the bike and the Ilium works bars are fantastic, I am selling mine now but we pay a lot more than you do in the USA because of exchange rates, USPS, and duties.
You mentioned about your knee so might be work looking at Highway pegs in the near future they help you to stretch out and release paint in the knees. Illium Works do 3 or 4 different types of pegs depending on bars etc so good luck and enjoy your fantastic bike.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations you will love the bike and the Ilium works bars are fantastic, I am selling mine now but we pay a lot more than you do in the USA because of exchange rates, USPS, and duties.
You mentioned your knee so might be work looking at Highway pegs in the near future they help you to stretch out and release paint in the knees. Illium Works do 3 or 4 different types of pegs depending on bars etc so good luck and enjoy your fantastic bike.
They are on my list. The PO had them on the Illium Works engine crash bars but removed them before selling the bike leaving just the marks on the bars where they were mounted. I should have all my Farkles by the time riding weather arrives I'm hoping. I didn't mention that I added the top case brake light and picked up the Nav 6 when it was on sale so I have spent quite a bit on the bike already.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
2021 BMW K1600 GTL, 2008 HD ULTRA CVO, 2004 HD ROAD KING
173 Posts
I just added Ilium Works Adj highway pegs, kickstand enlarger, gear shift enlarger and floorboards. Tomorrow I'm installing the rear crash bars.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just added Ilium Works Adj highway pegs, kickstand enlarger, gear shift enlarger and floorboards. Tomorrow I'm installing the rear crash bars. View attachment 149465
I bought a kickstand foot on eBay that has K1600GTL engraved on it but haven't taken a pic of it yet. I really like the Ilium Works products but I wish he would get around to making frame covers for the 17 and up GTLs. After sitting on a new Grand America I think I would like floorboard style highway pegs.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Upside Down
2,519 Posts
Great additions that can help you . The side stands foot enlarger is a bonus, especially on soft ground.

Reactions: Goes2fast

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got my parts back from the hydro-dip guy and like the way they came out so this winter I will be getting more done.

Reactions: gtl51 and kotr

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Have you ridden the bike yet?

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: Jonnybow

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got around to taking pics of the rest of my additions.

Highway pegs installed.

Fancy side stand foot.

And last but not least my beautiful looking and sounding Remus system.

Reactions: gtl51

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your bike’s looking great, some nice additions. I’m curious, do the pannier protection bars hinder your pillions legs at all?

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your bike’s looking great, some nice additions. I’m curious, do the pannier protection bars hinder your pillions legs at all?
Thanks, since there are so many 1600s in the same color I'm trying to make this one mine since it will probably be my last at my age.

She hasn't been for a ride yet since she has been busy with her flower garden. I purchased the lower style for that reason so it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Need a video of the exhaust!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I will see what I can do. It sounds a lot different standing still than it does going down the road. It sounds good when you rev it standing still but it sounds awesome when riding.

·
Registered
2018 BMW K1600GTL
15 Posts
Need a video of the exhaust!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
There are a couple of videos on YouTube that have exhaust compilations that don't really cover the sound as it's riding down the road. This one doesn't either but at least this one compares the original with the Remus, it sounds really nice. There is also a video from Remus with the sound from a bagger, I assume it would be the same but the exhaust did look a little different so it may not be but it's worth checking out.

Here's the original vs Remus on a GT

And here's the Remus version on a Bagger

Maybe @Goes2fast can confirm whether or not either sounds similar to what they have.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Goes2fast What's the light on the BMW tag? Where did you pick that up, or was it custom made?
I bought them from a company from Germany that sells on eBay. It took a while to arrive but worth the wait.

Reactions: gberl001
1 - 20 of 21 Posts