BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had many great ride, but the most memorable ride was with my son on his first ride with me.

He was a little boy about 10 years old. I was excited and nervous at the same time. He has seen me pull away many times, always asking when he can ride with me. When he was 10, I said today is the day.

I dressed him up with his moms riding jacket that was too large, a full-face helmet that I just bought for the occasion. A pair of motocross knee and shin guards and a pair of riding gloves. He looked like the Michelin mans kid.

The smile on his face was priceless. He was so excited and proud to be riding with dad, especially when we passed by some of his friends on the street. For the next two hours, we rode as he hung on tightly. I could feel his excitement with every acceleration and turn.

For the next few years, he was my riding partner. We rode the Pacific Coast Highway together and we were allowed to ride on the Daytona 500 speedway together. Stops for ice cream, a sandwich or a quick errand was always fun for both of us.

He has picked up the same enthusiam as we have about riding. As an adult mow, he rides his own bike with dad.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
That is a truly awesome post. Such a wonderful memory and it's great y'all got to do rides together. I didnt start riding until about 7 years ago so I didn't have that opportunity. However my grandkids are fair game for a ride when old enough. My eldest granddaughter is 7 so we have a few years yet. I did at least set her on the back parked in the garage and yes...that smile when she sat on the bike...priceless. Thanks for sharing that.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Waiting for my K1600 B Have it now
2,589 Posts
Great Story Mate

Its a great joy riding with your kids. I gave up riding motorbikes mid 80s ( dirt ) and a little bit of road riding late 80s. My Son came home on a new bike with his Learners plates on 3yrs ago and asked if i could go get a bike and come riding with him. After 30yrs of not riding, i went and got a GSA 1250r to go riding with him. It reminded me of how much i loved riding and now im addicted.

Now my Youngest Lad is going to get his learners so he can come riding with us, I LOVE IT and its Cool the Boys want to go riding with the Old Man

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Motor vehicle
Sky Mountain Ecoregion Slope Road surface
Boat Watercraft Vehicle Tree Wood
Sky Dog Vehicle Automotive mirror Mode of transport
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky
Sky Land vehicle Helmet Tire Vehicle
Mine would be a ride I did with my brother between Dubai and Khasab (northern tip of the Peninsula over looking the Strait of Hormuz), we were on KTM 990’s. The roads, scenery there are incredible and because their speed cameras took pictures of the front of vehicles we were more or less free to go. Rode up with our families following behind us in a land cruiser we went up to see the wild dolphins. One thing that still sticks in my mind is when we arrived there we had some time to kill before our boat trip, we found a small shop with AC in it, we took off most of our riding gear helmets, gloves, jackets, etc and left it on our motorcycles… after returning an hour later nothing was touched. One other thing was the process of passing into Oman with the necessary paperwork that had to be filled out…

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've had many great ride, but the most memorable ride was with my son on his first ride with me.

He was a little boy about 10 years old. I was excited and nervous at the same time. He has seen me pull away many times, always asking when he can ride with me. When he was 10, I said today is the day.

I dressed him up with his moms riding jacket that was too large, a full-face helmet that I just bought for the occasion. A pair of motocross knee and shin guards and a pair of riding gloves. He looked like the Michelin mans kid.

The smile on his face was priceless. He was so excited and proud to be riding with dad, especially when we passed by some of his friends on the street. For the next two hours, we rode as he hung on tightly. I could feel his excitement with every acceleration and turn.

For the next few years, he was my riding partner. We rode the Pacific Coast Highway together and we were allowed to ride on the Daytona 500 speedway together. Stops for ice cream, a sandwich or a quick errand was always fun for both of us.

He has picked up the same enthusiam as we have about riding. As an adult mow, he rides his own bike with dad.

Before and Now

Sky Cloud Helmet Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Cloud Jeans Sky

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't have kids so my memorable rides consist of great scenery, great roads and meeting great people. I've taken 8 trips since I retired in May 2016 and all were enjoyable but my trip out west last summer to S Dakota, Wyoming, Oregon, Montana and Idaho was the best trip I've taken so far. If you haven't been to Glacier, Yellowstone or Badlands Natl Park they should all be on your bucket list. Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Scenic Byway are incredible, Beartooth Pass gets all the praise and glory but Chief Joseph Scenic Byway is less traveled with much better scenery in my opinion. Hwy 12 from Missoula, MT to Lewiston, ID is fantastic, the road from Lewiston, ID to Joseph OR is nice especially a 13 mile section called Rattlesnake Grade. Back roads from Joseph, OR to Stanley, ID is very nice and if you take this route you have to stop at Hells Canyon for a look see. We have an incredibly beautiful country so get out and see as much of it as you can. First picture was taken at the summit of Rattlesnake Grade, second picture is the Summit of Dead Indian Hill in Wyoming along Chief Joseph Scenic Byway and the third picture is Badlands Natl Park.
Sky Plant Goggles Sunglasses Mountain
Sky Smile Goggles Sleeve Sunglasses
Sky Plant Goggles Sunglasses Mountain
Cloud Sky Mountain Natural landscape Terrain
Sky Smile Goggles Sleeve Sunglasses

·
Registered
665 Posts

God blessed you.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I don't have kids so my memorable rides consist of great scenery, great roads and meeting great people. I've taken 8 trips since I retired in May 2016 and all were enjoyable but my trip out west last summer to S Dakota, Wyoming, Oregon, Montana and Idaho was the best trip I've taken so far. If you haven't been to Glacier, Yellowstone or Badlands Natl Park they should all be on your bucket list. Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Scenic Byway are incredible, Beartooth Pass gets all the praise and glory but Chief Joseph Scenic Byway is less traveled with much better scenery in my opinion. Hwy 12 from Missoula, MT to Lewiston, ID is fantastic, the road from Lewiston, ID to Joseph OR is nice especially a 13 mile section called Rattlesnake Grade. Back roads from Joseph, OR to Stanley, ID is very nice and if you take this route you have to stop at Hells Canyon for a look see. We have an incredibly beautiful country so get out and see as much of it as you can. First picture was taken at the summit of Rattlesnake Grade, second picture is the Summit of Dead Indian Hill in Wyoming along Chief Joseph Scenic Byway and the third picture is Badlands Natl Park. View attachment 161070 View attachment 161072 View attachment 161070 View attachment 161071 View attachment 161072
Yup, I've been lucky to tour some of the areas you mentioned, and added some I didn't to my bucket list. Wish I could afford to live out there. It's a religious experience.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yup, I've been lucky to tour some of the areas you mentioned, and added some I didn't to my bucket list. Wish I could afford to live out there. It's a religious experience.
I'm stuck in Pennsylvania and while we have some nice roads and scenery there's absolutely nothing west of the Mississippi that compares to riding in Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming and S Dakota. I'm planning my next trip out west right now and hope to launch out in June.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
@wellcraft I’ve covered most of the territory/roads you described, and it’s great riding. Still, there are roads in Colorado, Utah, California, Arizona and New Mexico that in some ways take the K16 experience to possibly even a higher level. Try to take the time to enjoy it all.

·
Registered
562 Posts
@wellcraft I’ve covered most of the territory/roads you described, and it’s great riding. Still, there are roads in Colorado, Utah, California, Arizona and New Mexico that in some ways take the K16 experience to possibly even a higher level. Try to take the time to enjoy it all.
I've been to Colorado and rode Pikes Peak, MT Evans, Trail Ridge Scenic Byway and a few other roads out of COS, also been to Arizona three times and planning a trip back to Montana in June and hopefully Utah in September. I'm trying to ride as much as I can while I can so I can remember great rides I've taken instead of regret not taking great rides.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Most of my memorable rides occurred with friends, in my early days of riding throughout the mountains of southern WV, KY and V A. It's really hard to beat the changes in elevations, twist and curves. I did those rides all the time as it was all that we had in the local area. They were my normal and actually became boring at times. I'm not complaining, but we did them whenever we go on the bikes and took off.

A memorable ride in FLATlorida that really stands out was on I-75 in the early evening hours, riding south from Tampa to Naples. The the sun was setting to the west and the moon was coming up on the east. The weather was mild and I was riding in summer attire. I only had several 1,000 miles on my new K1600 GTL and it seemed like I was the only one on the highway. With my full face helmet on, it was like I was in the cockpit of a fighter jet. In hindsight, I probably went a few miles an hour over the speed limit as it flt like I was flying.... The ride only lasted about 2 hours, but at the time it seemed like a surreal experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts