BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Obviously a combination of your riding style and the heaviness of the K1600. I look at it in terms of enjoyment. A simple consumable that translates in to fun!

You have an open invitation to ship tires to my house and then let me change them on the new Weaver machine. We'll balance them with the Marc Parnes equipment and you'll be good to go!

·
Registered
82 Posts
although not as bad, my factory Z8s lasted 3800 miles, my PR3 rear is about due at only 4000 miles... it's worth it though!

Steve

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just that I see forum members getting over 10,000 miles on their tires. Can the riding styles be that different? Can the roads be that different?

I keep my tires at 42 psi, and check before every ride, compensating for temperature, race quality gauge.

I think I ride at a reasonable pace.

But then, I don't recall getting over 6,000 miles on any BMW ever.

Could it be me?

Do I need therapy?

Maybe riding therapy? :k16:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Did you say therapy??? Maybe we need to take a look at that!! Rl, thare are a bunch of us getting the same kind of mileage. Just the nature of the beast. I am pretty sure that's exactly why we bought the bike!! Some are more aggressive than others but riding is what we do. Unfortunately I only get to ride 2 to 4 months a year depending on the months I get my shoreside leave. Maybe I need the therapy more than you for having a bike of this caliber that I really don't get to ride enough. Not to mention the cars and other toys in the man cave.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have 10K on my PR3's and will go another 2-3K. I keep them at 42psi as well. I weight 240lbs. I have never gotten less than 10K on PR2/3's. I think it's those Texas roads.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Paraphrasing Meese in that GS Rider Tests a GTL thread:

BMW has thoughtful built a User-Controlled Tire Life Management System (UCTLMS) into every K16. It's that round thing on the end of the right handlebar. Turn it away from you to maximize tire life, and turn it toward you to maximize fun.
:k16: :bmw:

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
It's just that I see forum members getting over 10,000 miles on their tires. Can the riding styles be that different? Can the roads be that different?

I keep my tires at 42 psi, and check before every ride, compensating for temperature, race quality gauge.

I think I ride at a reasonable pace.

But then, I don't recall getting over 6,000 miles on any BMW ever.

Could it be me?

Do I need therapy?

Maybe riding therapy? :k16:
I agree. I don't get too bad mileage on my tires because I have to slog through Houston to get to the good roads. But my factory Bridgestones have 4800 miles on them and I'd say one or two more rides and they will be done. But I'd rather enjoy 5,000 miles than brag about 10,000. I do get much better mileage on PR2's on my other bikes though. I plan to put PR3's on the BMW in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
I have 10K on my PR3's and will go another 2-3K. I keep them at 42psi as well. I weight 240lbs. I have never gotten less than 10K on PR2/3's. I think it's those Texas roads.
Then we've got those roads here in Maryland too. 3100 miles out of my OEM Bridgestones and my PR3s are looking thin now at 5,000 miles on them. I'll have to swap in less than 1,000 miles.

Meh, tires are disposable and I wouldn't change my riding style to make them last longer. Personally, I think these dual compound sport touring tires are near to magical. Imagine getting all that soft sticky rubber on the sides and all that good long mileage rubber in the center - it's magic.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Even on my Ultra I only averaged 5k out of a set of tires. I don't have any roads in my area where I can ride straight. All twisties and a bit of aggressiveness equals low mileage tires.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
RL, I have seen you ride. I have tried to keep up with you while you were filming. Trying to focus on the riders ahead AND the road in the twisties is plain crazy. It's no suprise you are only gettting that mileage. To get better mileage you would need to seriously cut back on the throttle and that is not going to happen. You are definitely a challenge to follow.

However, I did notice more wear in the center on this set. You are seriously in need of RL twistie road therapy.:D

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I see forum members getting over 10,000 miles on their tires. Can the riding styles be that different?
Yes they can. I've ridden with those guys, and you'd be bored stiff.

I've also destroyed tires in as little as 3,000 miles. Replace, and do it again. :k16:

My current set has just shy of 15,000 miles. Those are hard miles, tons on interstate and lots of backroad peg scraping through several states. The rear still has lots of tread left, but the front was pretty thin.

I'm gonna need to find a better front so I don't have to change them 2 fronts to one rear. :cool:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes they can. I've ridden with those guys, and you'd be bored stiff.

I've also destroyed tires in as little as 3,000 miles. Replace, and do it again. :k16:

My current set has just shy of 15,000 miles. Those are hard miles, tons on interstate and lots of backroad peg scraping through several states. The rear still has lots of tread left, but the front was pretty thin.

I'm gonna need to find a better front so I don't have to change them 2 fronts to one rear. :cool:

Aren't those the ones you stole off a Corolla:D

·
Registered
686 Posts
No idea how many miles i would get from my Bridgestones. Rear picked up a nail at 3500 and front a screw at 6500.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts