BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 182 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Got to be those roads.

I changed my PR3's at ~6800 miles (with still some miles on them) mainly because the front edges had cupped.

#200 rider, light luggage loads, all California and Oregon roads, 'Sport' setting and brisk pace, pressure F37-R40.

·
Super Moderator
17,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you dare, click to zoom in on the tire images. Have a look at the edges. :D

Yes the center of the rear is well worn. Most probably a function of the extraordinary speed limits in Texas. :yeah: Maybe a function of the acceleration capability of the K1600?

Regardless, I understand well that there is no free ride. E Ticket rides come at an E Ticket price. Part of that price is tire replacement.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am betting roads are more the culprit. As a comparison (though not direct) I have a 1250 Bandit that has luggage including top case. I have modified it a bit so performance is pretty close to a stock K16. I am almost always riding 2-up so the total weight on the Road is pretty close to what my K16 is with me solo. My stock tires lasted 3,000 miles.

The PR3s have already done 6,000 miles and look to go a lot longer. To say I ride the Bandit enthusiastically would be an understatement. Thanks to my willing wife we spend a lot of our time at triple digits speeds and quite a few wheelies but no burnouts. So I don't think it is the tires as if anyone was going to burn through a set of tires, it would be me. On a lighter bike (V-strom 1000) and similar tires that I mostly rode in New Mexico, Nevada. Arizona and Texas, my PR2s diddn't even make 5,000 miles based on the roads there.

I realize mixing a few bikes and tires but I can draw pretty concrete conclusions as once I brought my V-strom back East the tires last MUCH longer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
10,000 Mile Guy

I've averaged just over 10,000 miles out of my first two sets of Bridgestone's. I'm admittedly a fairly conservative rider and ride in rain mode a lot of the time especially in town, on my daily commutes, and steady state distance riding. I'd say the amount of time a rider rides in rain mode versus dynamic indicates overall riding style and thus the amount tire wear. I'm on PR3's now. I do use dynamic in the hills or two lane roads where there is a need to pass other vehicles. What is the prevailing mode you ride in and what is your tire wear?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good point on the ESA setting could be an indicator riding style also. I ride normal most of the time, sometimes comfort especially on the intestates, and sport in the hills.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My current set has just shy of 15,000 miles. Those are hard miles, tons on interstate and lots of backroad peg scraping through several states. The rear still has lots of tread left, but the front was pretty thin.

I'm gonna need to find a better front so I don't have to change them 2 fronts to one rear. :cool:
What tyres are you running Ken to get that mileage?

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Front tire was an ME880 Bias. I'm not a big fan of the 880's which trade adhesion for longevity (harder compound), but this one actually performed very well on the GTL, including riding up several mountains and surviving a very wet ride through Hurricane Isaac.

On the rear, well, I've gone a bit different there. I'm running a Pilot Exalto A/S. Yes, a darksider. It does have some limitations, but for my needs, it works very well.

BTW, 12,000 of those miles were done in under two weeks, with the rest done at a more "sedate" pace. :cool:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Front tire was an ME880 Bias. I'm not a big fan of the 880's which trade adhesion for longevity (harder compound), but this one actually performed very well on the GTL, including riding up several mountains and surviving a very wet ride through Hurricane Isaac.

On the rear, well, I've gone a bit different there. I'm running a Pilot Exalto A/S. Yes, a darksider. It does have some limitation, but for my needs, it works very well.

BTW, 12,000 of those miles were done in under two weeks, with the rest done at a more "sedate" pace. :cool:
Interesting combo Ken, especially going for the bias belt on the front. But if it is working for you then that is what counts. Does the "darksider" when fitted have a similar profile to how it would look on a car rim?

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
...On the rear, well, I've gone a bit different there. I'm running a Pilot Exalto A/S. Yes, a darksider. It does have some limitation, but for my needs, it works very well.

I've been waiting to see if anyone would go Dark on the K16. I figured that if anyone would it would be you since you are the milage champion. I'll do a search to see if I can find more information about this. It is always a touchy subject because everyone has a different opinion but given the way that this bike eats tires I have to follow your lead.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Road and Dynamic
Sport with ESA II
Full throttle acceleration whenever I can get away with it.
Won't discuss backroad speeds. :eek:
You need to swing over to Clovis... got a nice route around Conchas Lake you should try... This route forces you to come off the accelerator as you won't make it from gas stop to gas stop at 138mph fuel burn.

Steve

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Interesting combo Ken, especially going for the bias belt on the front. But if it is working for you then that is what counts.
Exactly. It's definitely not for everyone, and it does give you some feedback in the handlebars, but I trust the tires well enough to scrape pegs at will with confidence (even though my normal riding is to try and avoid those hard limits). So for me, they work just fine.

I've run Radial ME880's (front and rear), and they don't get any more mileage than much better sport-touring tires, so why bother? And the Rear Bias Me880s just plain suck.

Does the "darksider" when fitted have a similar profile to how it would look on a car rim?
The Pilot Exalto A/S is rated for a 5.5"-7" rim, so the GTL's 6" rim is just fine. Overall diameter is very close as well.

The biggest problem is that the 205/50R17 tire is 3/4" wider than the stock 190/50R17 bike tire, so I had to space the rim over 3/8". No problems with that, and no undue pull to either side, even when running hands free (which I also try never to do in "normal" riding).

I've also found that the larger rear width and deeper tread grooves gives me great wet traction, and better dirt road "float" for when the road gets really tough. Which happens quite often on the LD Rallies that I run.

So, for me and my needs, they work just fine. A guaranteed 14-15,000 miles without worrying about tires will easily get me through an Iron Butt Rally, so I'm good.

We'll just have to wait and see if I can keep up with RL, GT1, and that crowd on those "GS roads" . . . ;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It's just that I see forum members getting over 10,000 miles on their tires. Can the riding styles be that different? Can the roads be that different?

I keep my tires at 42 psi, and check before every ride, compensating for temperature, race quality gauge.

I think I ride at a reasonable pace.

But then, I don't recall getting over 6,000 miles on any BMW ever.

Could it be me?

Do I need therapy?

Maybe riding therapy? :k16:
Wearing out the tires "is therapy". Fun Therapy.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Based on what I've read, you would (will?) leave us in the dust. :)
I just call it Riding Efficiently. :D

It's not about top speed, not on public roads at least. It's about, well, being efficient, picking good lines, maintaining momentum, dispatching traffic quickly and with aplomb, and minimizing stops and time at stops.

It's about Riding Well . . . :k16:

21 - 40 of 182 Posts