BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
A follow up. I was hoping to retire in a few years from a job with a boss who was bi polar. Wife of 30+ years set up with a dealer in Medford Oregon we took our old K1100LT to for work. We dropped the old bike off & were waiting for that to be done. The dealer came out in about 15 minutes & said "all done." I knew the work would take a couple of hours, so I asked if they had done everything. He said my bike was waiting out front. When we went outside, my old bike was not in sight. Wife then pointed to a new bike, said she would buy the new 2013 K1600GTL if I promised I would retire within 6 months. Next day I told my boss I would be gone in 2 weeks.
Bravo and intelligent decision

·
Registered
49 Posts
Once a year a group of us go somewhere and ride the mountains. We usually ship. I'm ferrying bikes to the truck, (a few Harleys including my Road Glide) with a Gold Wing & a K-1600 GTL. I ride the Gold Wing 1st, then the GTL, the wheels started turning that morning. The rest is history, I love my 19 GA.

·
Truly Gritty
21 Posts
Years ago I had a 94 Honda CB1000 which I was very happy with until I demoed a BMW K1200 RS and fell in love. It took years for me to pull the trigger due to people stating how much Beemers cost when they have a problem or that the dealerships charge an arm and a leg for routine service. Nevertheless, I purchased a brand new leftover 2016 K1600 GT this past October and haven't looked back. Simply put, it is an amazing bike that I find myself enjoying more and more each time I take it out for a spin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My motorcycle days began in 2003 on a 1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim. Bought it from a work friend dirt cheap. I had risen on the back of my brothers Honda 750 in highschool but never had my own until much later. Gas was really expensive in 2003 so my rational was it would be much cheaper than the 1 ton truck I was driving band the wife went along. I comuted on the bike for just over a year, but due to its age it was not that reliable. I went through a lot of speedometers for some reason. After a year, the wife said "you spend more time working on the bike then riding it, you should get a new bike". I had already been looking and knew what I wanted so went out and in late 2004 picked up a 2005 Kawasaki Concours, which I comuted on mostly with a few moderate distance rides. The bike has 96,000+ miles now. The wife rode with me a few time but the seat was not comfortable enough for her so I started looking again. I researched a lot of bikes and really liked the K1600GTL, it has a sports touring feel, awesome performance and the comfort need to get the wife's blessings. I picked up my new 2018 K1600GTL in March 2019 and have been loving it ever since.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Started on a Honda CB360 in 1976, then Yamaha, then Suzuki, then Honda, then HD plus a bevy of other bikes over the years. Almost bought a "flying brick" BMW several years ago, but I was talked out of it. My transition to BMW took place when Honda dropped the ball on the new Goldwing by not making the trunk big enough to hold two full face helmets. I rode a RT, a Bagger and a GTL before picking up one of the first GA's in AZ in 2018. It resides next to my Road Glide in the garage.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,351 Posts
I rode Suzuki and Honda for the better part of 43 years and 25 or so bikes with one HD thrown in. I never thought about owning a BMW. My brother Steve bought a K1200GT in 2010 which I picked up for him in Phoenix and brought to my house for his retrieval. I was riding a Honda ST1300 (among a couple other bikes) for my solo trips and so didn't really think about the BMW one way or another.

I had that ST1300 and a Valkyrie when articles started showing up in magazines about the K1600. It intrigued me especially being a 6 cylinder and having a sport touring lean to it. I thought hmm I could replace 2 bikes with 1.

Short story in 2012 Steve and I were on a road trip and while in Birmingham, AL we both bought K1600s. I traded the ST1300 in on it and after 2 years of not riding the Valkyrie I sold it. I've never looked back.

Probably one of the main reasons for liking the BMW is the whole BMW social experience. After riding for those 43 years with a variety of people I finally found my "family". Going to the BMW rallies and meeting folks that like to ride long distances, tent camp and have a beer (at the end of the day) was nice. I could never get into the HOG thing even after going to the Laughlin and Sturgis rallies for years.

I don't have to dress like everyone else and pretend to be a 1% (they all dress and act alike). I've made so many more motorcycle friends in the past 8 years than I did in the prior 43 years that I doubt I'll not own a BMW for ever.

The folks on this forum have played such a huge part in this wonderful experience (wiping tears away).

Anyway there is a little of my experience.
I identify with a lot of this. My start was borrowed dirt bikes as a teenager, a Honda CB200 on the street, then a CB750, and off to college. A decade off from riding during which I met my wife, and she was opposed to motorcycling, since she had a cousin killed on one. I knew she'd like it, and kept working on her, and got her to agree to take the MSF course, and she was hooked. Then I went from Honda Shadow Sabre to Yamaha Star Warrior to FZ-09.

BUT the transition to BMW was simple as ALWAYS having wanted one, and deciding to do it. So I bought the 2006 K1200S to learn wrenching on them, and fell in love. I got the K1600GT, and then my wife had to have a R1250RT. Of course, throughout this process, we met the "BMW people," and found them to be smart, friendly, and EXTREMELY helpful souls. For so many years it was hard to find anyone in motorcycling who was "like us," but the BMW touring bunch is it.

In fact, one of the best compliments to be paid to this fine group of people is that folks who have sold their K16 and bought other bikes, from GS/GSAs to FJR1300s, to S1000XRs, keep coming backf here to read and interact.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
ALL of the above
All 3. Wife & I have been together for 35+ years, married for 30+. She loves to ride, & we take a lot more long trips now that we are both retired. We bought land in 2004, spent 5 years working with a builder & an architect designing our home. Began the build in March of 09, moved in in August same year. We live on a 70 foot bluff over the Pacific. She also "let " me buy a 2013 Mercedes SLK 350 for my 50th high school reunion So I also bought her a new Mercedes C300. These are photos of the cars & the view from the living room & master bedroom. Life is good.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
The first bike I rode on was a 1967 SEARS 106 SS, a Gilera 109, that SEARS private labelled. I seriously began riding bikes in 1977 when I started working a Honda store. Then another couple of years went by with bikes from the mysterious Orient. But I wasn't pleased with them, they all seemed too "homogenized". My path crossed with a Benelli SEI 750, then a Guzzi Convert, then another Guzzi G5. In 1987, when I wanted to purchase something new It was going to be a Guzzi or a BMW as they were the only two non-oriental deals near me.
BMW won out with a1987 K75S, all black, and the rest of the story has been BMW since.

·
1,351 Posts
This is one of the bikes I came from when I transitioned to my K Bike View attachment 144608
Welp, you've answered a question I've always had, having seen that particular style of chopper build repeatedly over the years at smaller, country mom-and-pop Harley/S&S shops over the years: Who in God's name would ever actually RIDE one of those things? I think I also joked more than once that every one of those things should have a local dentist, orthopedist or chiropractor sponsor the paint job.

Hardtail and a raked, floppy front end that won't turn, and next to no brakes, to a K1600. If that were the only "one" you had come from, that would qualify as an even bigger transition than going from a Grom to K16.

Reactions: AZK1600GTL

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
think I also joked more than once that every one of those things should have a local dentist, orthopedist or chiropractor sponsor the paint job.
Well, I'm 6'3" I used to be 6'5"......lol....kidding. That's the style I learned on when I was 15-16 years old. I've ridden to Sturgis on one that was a Suicide shift and only 4 speed. Yeah it was was rough. The one int he picture is actually very fast, 140 HP....in a straight line of course.... LOL

·
1,351 Posts
I've ridden to Sturgis on one that was a Suicide shift and only 4 speed.
Love the suicide shifter. Those are fun. But AZ to Sturgis on a hardtail? Wow, whoa and holy cow! That's hardcore and legit.

Reactions: AZK1600GTL

·
Registered
11 Posts
My transition to BMW took a few decades with many good experiences along the way.

My first bile was a 1976 Kawasaki KE175 as a teenager to ride to school. Green & yellow bike, yellow helmet, jeans jacket with a CB patch. Can you say nerd... It was an inexpensive bike that fit me and my first experiences as a rider. Nice memories being one of the only kids in HS who rode a bike. First freedoms venturing away from home.

As an adult, I bought into the HD craze with a Road King Classic and an Ultra. Nice bikes. I liked buying the add-ons and seeing who would comment on the new chrome. I liked the sound and feel of the bike and the long rides. I fit in with all the other HD guys. Again, nice experiences.

One day, I was reading the Michigan State Police reviews on motorcycles and saw that the BMW outperformed the HD and most other bikes in every category. So one day, I decided to test ride the BMW R1200. After 5 miles of a test ride, I was filling out the paperwork to buy it in 2015. In 2018, I traded for a K1600GTL.

What I like about the BMW is the smoothness, quietness, higher seating position and virtually no fatigue after riding all day. No heat coming up from the cylinder heads, no numb hands from the thump, thump of the motor. I also like the quickness, the lighter weight and saving money on chrome.

While I had great experiences on the HD, I had no idea of the differences until I rode the BMW. No hit on the HD at all. I had a lot of fun on them, but I thoroughly enjoy the ride of BMW.

What got you to BMW? .
No ax to grind with HD, (they have enough problems of their own now). I came off Japanese bikes, (Honda/Suzuki). My first bike was a 78 R80/7 which was a wonderful bike; (all it needed was a new BMW). I learned a lot about the 247 motor and the R bikes in general as I essentially had to rebuild the **** thing. Switched back and forth between Rs and Ks throughout the years and thought about downsizing from an R1200RT. One day, I was in my dealership (Hermys BMW) when Hermy introduced me to a wanton ****, Said **** was what became my 12' 1600GTL. I told Hermy "the **** thing is the size of a Winnebago!" to which he said "Just Ride It". When I got back from the road test, I told him to make me an offer I couldn't refuse.We dickered and sorted things out after which I rode it home. I named mine Col Klink, (aka The Behemoth) and while I would love it if it lost 100 Lbs, I became it's bitch. Loved all of the many I have had, except for the K1200LT which was simply ridiculous in that It never missed an opportunity to fall over, and the poorly engineered K1100RS which was cooking me with it's terrible heat management which made it an unbelievably uncomfortable bike; (that one gone in 6 months). All that having been said, I love my 1600 and find the engine intoxicating. Many good miles to you!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I must say reading all of these posts has me really thinking of buying a BMW. I currently ride a Road King and a person on this site told me that going from Harley to BMW is the equivalent of switching from a B52 bomber to an F16 fighter jet. LOL.
I am going to start test driving the different 1600’s and decide which ones I like. Who knows, this could be my last trip out West on my Harley this next week.
I just have to figure out if I can justify buying 2 motorcycles within a 3 year period because I am going to keep the Harley for a couple of years yet.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts