BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still stripping down the '12 to replace the left panel hanger. My motivation has been pretty lacking and last time in I realized I would need to crack open the oil cooler circuit to get this thing out... ?

Unfortunately I have not been keeping very good record of how things have been removed. Getting down to the nitty-gritty and came upon this mysterious plug not connected to anything. I do not remember unplugging it from anything and I cannot find anything into which it plugs. It is not the speaker plug, it is not the horn plug, it is not the temp sensor plug, it is not the radio control plug, nor it it the central lock plug. Those are all accounted for...

What the heck is it???

·
Registered
464 Posts
Could it be the dog poo light? (The light that on some models shone down). They don't change the wiring harness unless they have to even though the light isn't fitted any more.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be the dog poo light? (The light that on some models shone down). They don't change the wiring harness unless they have to even though the light isn't fitted any more.
That light is installed and is not disconnected. This plug is up high. Above and to the rear of the horn.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
On my 2012 GT there are some "spare" plugs which are, my guess, connections for the fog/ conspicuous lights that came along in 2013 but weren't on 2012's. The plug in your picture (after zooming in a little) shows dirt where it should be clean if it had been plugged into it's mating connector so I'm thinking it's a "spare".

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my 2012 GT there are some "spare" plugs which are, my guess, connections for the fog/ conspicuous lights that came along in 2013 but weren't on 2012's. The plug in your picture (after zooming in a little) shows dirt where it should be clean if it had been plugged into it's mating connector so I'm thinking it's a "spare".
That thought did occur to me (being that it is dirty) but I figured they would have put a cover on it if it was not used... (Like the ODB and top box plugs)

You are probably right. I simply cannot find anywhere it would go....

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a WILD A$$ guess, but it looks like the plug pretty much center of the second pic in the OP of this thread. It appears to be connecting to something on the left handlebar.
If so, I would look above it for the female part. Or take another pic with a wider field of view.

Zach
The silver "can" shown in this one is the air cannister for my after-market horn.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
The plug is for the Flux Capacitor that they put on the 2030 models but then evaporated when the bikes were transported back to 2011. That's just a guess though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts