BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Plus 1
I bought direct from Safety Seal to insure they were fresh, then shared the plugs with a few friends hoping I did not need to use 50 plugs myself in the next 6 years.:rolleyes:
I guess mine and Hoss's got lost in the mail.... :whine:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Did I order the right Kit???

My Safety Seal kit came yesterday. The Awl and insertion tool are a lot larger than I expected. :eek: I ordered the standard Car/Light Truck kit. Is this the one you are using?

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
My Safety Seal kit came yesterday. The Awl and insertion tool are a lot larger than I expected. :eek: I ordered the standard Car/Light Truck kit. Is this the one you are using?
Yep. That's the one I'm using. I had nails in two tires on my SUV and fixed them with that same kit. It takes a lot more muscle to get that sticky worm into the tire than I thought. The ones I used to use needed glue and were easier. The next time you get ready to replace your tires on anything put a nail in one and fix it.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Yep. That's the one I'm using. I had nails in two tires on my SUV and fixed them with that same kit. It takes a lot more muscle to get that sticky worm into the tire than I thought. The ones I used to use needed glue and were easier. The next time you get ready to replace your tires on anything put a nail in one and fix it.
Okay, Thanks. I do plan to test it on the next tire I am ready to replace, but my current tires have only about 1500 miles on them right now. Car tires still have about 5 - 7 K left on them as well.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
No punctures in 80K miles what luck, I've had 4 withing the last 18 months. Safety seals works so well I bought kits as Xmas presents for my riding friends. They also have a way of sealing what they consider a "permanent" fix from a dismounted tire. I'll be removing a set of PR3 this weekend and will post that picture.

Never leave home without it

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Great stuff here! I just had my second puncture in the 20 years I've been riding...No pliers, no tire patch kit. I was lucky to limp to a BMW dealer 7 miles away, at about 35mph max, in rush hour traffic along Santa Monica Blvd (Hollywood) - with 18psi in the rear tire. Getting the Safety Seal kit, a pump and pliers to carry daily - today. Hard lesson learned, but a lucky outcome. Hopefully not again.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Safety Seal has two plug sizes for our use, regular and thin. The thin more appropriate for small punctures.

Slim

Regular
If I pick up a railroad spike, should I use a HUSKY? :eek:
I guess I shouldn't make fun, ma in law picked up a Large common screwdriver in the sidewall of her car. Was still there when she got home a cpl of miles down the road. Was still holding air!
The tire store has a tire on display with a 1/2x9/16 wrench sticking out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
For me, the mushrooms are out for my simple worry of what prevents the fairly large, soft plug from working back into the tire. I could be wrong but that's just my take.
I can report first hand that the Stop-N-Go mushroom plugs will pop back into the tire. And that causes a quick deflation.

That happened to me on the Klondike Highway 3 weeks ago.

A stone shard punctured my tire. I plugged it with the mushroom. The tire held pressure over night so we pressed on to the Dempster Highway. The plug failed at the Dempster.

I put in a string plug and got to Dawson City where I had the tire replaced with my spare.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
A stone shard punctured my tire. I plugged it with the mushroom.
The mushroom plugs really only work well with nails or screws, i.e. nice round holes.

I ran over a chunk of automotive plastic that left a gash in my tire. I was able to ram 3 mushroom plugs in there, enough to hold air for about an hour while I VERY SLOWLY rode to the closest bike shop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In the first year of K1600GTL ownership, I had to plug the rear tire on two different occasions. I used the Stop-n-Go kit with the mushroom plugs both times. The common complaint with the mushroom plugs is that they fall out inside the tire. This is not exactly correct.

The primary reason for mushroom plug failure is the belts of the tire cutting through the soft plug. With the plug cut in two, it doesn't take long for the two halves of the plug to work their way out of the hole. When you eventually replace the tire, you find the inside half of the plug inside the tire. The assumption is that the entire plug fell into the tire; the truth is that it was first cut, then half of the plug fell into the tire and the other half ends up by the side of the road.

I learned this the hard way when I had to nurse a plugged rear tire for 500+ miles going home on a Sunday when no dealers were open. I was later informed by a friend that, with the mushroom plugs, you really have to ream the devil out of the puncture to keep the belts from cutting the soft plug. The next time my disaster magnet of a rear tire attracted a screw, my first plug job lasted all the way to the dealer.

Oh, and since this thread started, Motopumps came out with their Airshot pump. I have one and it's very nice.

Ghost

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had to use 2 Dynaplugs for a puncture. The first Dynaplug allowed some leakage. The second one sealed the puncture. Maybe it was because of the size of the puncture (I think it was) because I've used single Dynaplugs on car tire punctures effectively. Anyway, the double Dynaplugs lasted maybe 4-5k miles with no issues. I saw the plugs intact when my rear tire was eventually replaced 2 weeks ago. I have confidence in Dynaplugs. BTW, Dynaplug did mention that you can use multiple plugs on larger punctures.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Great write up Brent. Thanks for all the details. I'm even more happy to carry the Safety Seal strings. Grats.
Good use of old tire before "retiring"

·
Registered
2,212 Posts

Oh, and since this thread started, Motopumps came out with their Airshot pump. I have one and it's very nice.

Ghost
+1 on the Motopumps Airshot.

Probably the smallest pump on the market but fills a tire quickly, with nice features... a builtin light and a separate check valve.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts