BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo, over the holiday I got creative and designed/prototyped a "console storage tray" which turns the unused Nav compartment into a storage box! Small albeit, but better than an empty useless void! If enough of you are interested, ([email protected]) I would be willing to 3D print a quantity for enough to cover my time, matl and expense.... ABS matl. Dimensions: 4.81 inches x 0.63 inches x 2.56 inches. Installs with commercial grade hook and loop (incl). Utilizes existing OEM cover. A knob of your choice is avail at any hardware store, Hobby Lobbv, etc....I plan on getting a few and change them o Tray installed.jpg Tray cover w knob.jpg t based on my seasonal moods... Prob would need $30 bucks plus another $5 for S&H

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice.

If you could do something similar for the front speakers I would be all over it..........
I chuckled, because I have yet to even turn on my radio! Use blue tooth cordless Big Ear sound plugs....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Buckshot

I might be dumb...but What is "hook & loop"? What secures the door? and I assume there is a storgae area included?
"Hook and Loop" is the generic term for the trademarked "Velcro". It has plastic hooks on one piece, and fabric (thread) loops on the other.

It works, and it's fast. It's not terribly strong, though, nor rigid, but it works really well for most applications. Another 3M product, Dual Lock fasteners, are stronger (~3x), and much more rigid. They're more expensive, though, and (in my experience) harder to find.

Check them out, though. On this side of the country, at least, you get a couple of strips of Dual Lock when you buy an Easy-Pass transponder.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Dual lock ranges from ~3x to ~how do you get this **** off. You can buy dual lock in 170, 250, and 400 count. (per in^2)

Dual lock 170 is what you get with a transponder, we used to use Dual Lock 250 and 400 as a quick way to hold stuff down in our race boat. I have, in a desperate situation used it to hold a gas tank in place. This was a 10 gallon tank held in a boat with a thin hull at over 130mph on water under race stress. We only needed it to hold for a couple of races and afterwards when we tried to get the tank out we had to cut the dual lock with a string saw to remove it as the strips were quite long. I later found out that dual luck 400/400 combination (you can mix them) is considered permanent fixation by 3M. It is readily available, you can buy rolls on amazon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts