BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my replacement Nav VI has developed the ghosting issue that plagued my first one. This is where it appears on the screen that somebody is pushing buttons and changing the screen image.
I'll call Garmin and see how long to get a replacement. Of course this started just 2 weeks before I'm heading South to run around the Smokies for a week.

So I'm curious as to who has had the most number of units replaced because of this issue. I thought the issue had been fixed with a hardware update, but obviously not.

·
Soupa Mod
2,520 Posts
I had my unit replaced in June. Fingers crossed, it has been fine since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m on my third one. So far so good. To OP, definitely contact Support and they will send you a new one. They will want your old one back. Don’t forget to remove your memory card like I did. :(

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Still on my first replacement. Luckily, Garmin was a pleasure to deal with. I was on chat with them for under 5 minutes before I had the whole exchange approved.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Still on my first replacement. Luckily, Garmin was a pleasure to deal with. I was on chat with them for under 5 minutes before I had the whole exchange approved.
Was this a web chat or a phone call?

·
International Man of Mystery
3,282 Posts
I got a new one with my 2020 GT and the unit shuts down without warning and restarts by itself and continues the route as if nothing happened. BMW reset the thing and called it solved. Wasn't at all and now on top of shut downs the route calculation is so slow that the unit is unusable. BMW agreed to replace it. You guys know that the NAV 6 is out of production, right? Gonna be interesting how to replace the failing units in a few months once the inventory is depleted. Refurbished comes to mind.
My other, early NAV 6 show ghosting among other problems and Garmin never replaced it. Oh well

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure that we are getting refurbished units as replacements now, not new ones.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
FWIW, I am on my 3rd Nav VI and I had to do a factory reset a few weeks ago on this one.

There was a guy on eBay selling refurb Nav VIs for $400 - he had at least 100 of them and I guess he sold them all - don't see him on there now.

IMHO, they should bring back the Nav IV and just give it a screen as good as the VI. The IV like the 660/665 Zumo is bulletproof and you don't have to deal with that Trip Planner widget.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Not being familiar with Zumo, what does the bolded mean?
Garmin changed the way custom GPX routes are handled when they went to the newer models (Nav V, VI, and some of the newer Zumos). On the V and VI you have to use the Trip Planner widget for custom GPX routes and it handles custom GPX routes differently than the IV/660/665. Without going into a lot of detail, the IV/660/665 are easier to use with custom GPX routes, IMO. But the screens are almost unreadable in the sun - especially when they get some scratches and age on them.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Garmin changed the way custom GPX routes are handled when they went to the newer models (Nav V, VI, and some of the newer Zumos). On the V and VI you have to use the Trip Planner widget for custom GPX routes and it handles custom GPX routes differently than the IV/660/665. Without going into a lot of detail, the IV/660/665 are easier to use with custom GPX routes, IMO. But the screens are almost unreadable in the sun - especially when they get some scratches and age on them.
I'm not sure what you mean by "easier". When I build a route directly into VI Trip Planner, I'm not aware of obvious difficulties. For anything complex, I'm building the route in Google Maps, using Basecamp to convert for GPX format, and then import into VI. At that point, Trip Planner is nothing more than the presentation of the route for traveling. Still, I'll take your word for it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I’m on my third unit. And I have no idea how good it is as my bike has spent the most part of this year in the shop, due to the various BMW fuc.ups. I have a growing mistrust in the longevity of BMW ”fixes” :( Probaly they can’t really fix this either but they are working on a typical BMW solution .... true BMW fans will have to buy a complete new bike with a brand new, insuficiently tesed and poorly sourced, overhyped “state of the art” display.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMHO, they should bring back the Nav IV and just give it a screen as good as the VI. The IV like the 660/665 Zumo is bulletproof and you don't have to deal with that Trip Planner widget.
I used a Zumo 550 for a lot of years with no issue.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "easier". When I build a route directly into VI Trip Planner, I'm not aware of obvious difficulties. For anything complex, I'm building the route in Google Maps, using Basecamp to convert for GPX format, and then import into VI. At that point, Trip Planner is nothing more than the presentation of the route for traveling. Still, I'll take your word for it.
OK, I guess I have to go into more detail to 'splain myself.;)

The Trip Planner widget came out with the Nav V. But the V was missing some key features from the IV and they added the missing features back with the VI. The first feature was the 'auto skip waypoint' which is not in the V but is in the VI. The IV had this feature. With the V, you have to visit every waypoint or it will nag you to u-turn until you visit that waypoint. Eventually, the IV would give up and go to the next waypoint. The VI does this too (if you have it enabled). The 2nd feature they changed was that the VI will ignore waypoints that are a short distance away (waypoint misplaced on north bound lane when you are in the south bound for instance). The V would not ignore those - it would force you to travel over them. The IV had this ignore feature. These 2 things may seem like they are the same but they aren't and it has something to do with whether the Nav recalculates a route or not (I'm still confused on that). I do know that if it recalculates, then your prepared route is ignored and it plots a new route (to the next waypoint) for you based on the settings in the Nav.

The issue that still remains is the "select your next destination". Most people will place their start point where they start the route. The V and VI want you to select your 1st destination not your start point. So, if your 1st destination is actually where you are starting from, it will sometimes want you to go in a circle back to your start. The IV does not have this issue. The solution is to put your start point some distance from where you actually start - but on your route. This is a headache if you use someone else's GPX file. I sometimes ride with a guy that insists on using his own GPX routes which he prepares in Basecamp and he then sends them to me. He has a 660. I have to modify every file from him to account for this issue - I cannot take his route as is and use it on my VI.

The way the units handle vias and waypoints is different too. I "think" that the via is new with the V and VI so every point is a hard waypoint on the IV (I'm not certain on that). You can put them on your route with Basecamp but I am pretty sure they will interpreted as waypoints on the IV. Since the IV will ignore any waypoint eventually, it really doesn't need a via anyway. So, the via was added with the V - because it needs it. With GPX files that I do not create, I typically will change all the waypoints to vias and keep "auto recalculate mode" on. And I have to make sure the start point of each segment/leg is not where I actually start. I don't want to have to deal with off route warnings while I am riding and I try to make sure that I stick to the magenta line. If it recalculates though, then the route is out the window and if I don't have many waypoints, it will ignore most everything that I planned.

When I had the Nav V, I almost gave up using it with GPX files sent to me by others, that is until I figured out what was going on. The VI fixed the 2 major missing issues.

The display on the VI is fantastic and now that I understand how it handles custom GPX files, I can make it work (and work well) with custom GPX files but they stumbled when they moved to the Trip Planner widget and left out some key features that were on the IV/660.

·
Registered
642 Posts
@WillH thanks for the expanded explanation. You qualify as Garmin Navigator Historian. :)

I enjoyed reading your waypoint manifesto. I remember getting caught up several times in "waypoint ****" on my V where the Nav tried to force me back to a missed waypoint, even if it was a small miss. I got in the habit of creating GPS coordinate waypoints in middle of the lane I'll be traveling in. It's probably not necessary in the VI, but I've carried over the habit and have had no issues.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I am on my 4th unit in a year and a half. Only good thing is they replace without any hassle

·
International Man of Mystery
3,282 Posts
@WillH For some of the described issues with the NAV6 there are some workarounds.

Use a planning tools like Kurviger.de or similar like Inroute that allow to differentiate between shaping points and way points. With that you can plan routes with up to 29 WP per route and many more shaping points in between the WPs to be able to recreate the route almost to perfection on the NAV 6. Many routing software offer Garmin shaping point options

Activate the skip waypoint function permanently.

Disable all custom limitations like unpaved roads etc. because these settings will mess with the predefined route.

Set the routing options to fastest route

After uploading the route use the 'modify waypoint function' and set the first waypoint a few hundred meters away from the starting point so that NAV6 does not take you around in circles.

Then calculate the route on NAV 6 and compare duration and length with the data provided by your external routing software. Typically you get a very good match within 1-2% of the mileage.

To optimize routing I found a trick by setting the route options after the initial route calculation to shortest, calculate again. Then go back to fastest and calculate again. Don't ask me what happens by doing this, but I found that this gives the route the final touch and gets you very close to the original.

In general, the more shaping points between the WPs you can create with your external routing software, the better it is (to a limit, it doesn't make sense to have 50 shaping points per mile). When I get closer to a WP I check if the WP is located precisely on the road and if not I skip it manually shortly before reaching it.

I have no experience with basecamp other than an initial trial which made me run for the hills because of its let's say unique way of operating.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
@ViennaK .. You made my point: I am having to do almost everything that you describe when I get a GPX file from someone else to use on my VI.

If I had a Nav IV/660 I could use their files with no fuss; But I would not be able to see the route when I ride. :)

Reactions: ViennaK

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
To bring this post back on subject, I was told by Garmin that map update 2021.2 also contains a software patch to address the ghosting. So I had to update the unit and use it til it ghosts again before they will replace it. Good thing is that I didn't have the issue on the way to work this morning. It will probably start again just before my trip.

Reactions: WillH
1 - 20 of 29 Posts