BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
You can add me to the list of bad Garmin Nav VI owners. My replacement acted up once. I don't touch the screen with my fingers anymore, I use a Q-tip or the filter end of an unlit cig and It hasn't acted up since. Call me nuts but I think the oil residue from your fingers builds up on the screen and makes it ghost. The plus of the Q-tip is no more fingerprints and smudges on the screen. The only thing I use to clean the screen is one of those eye glass cleaner cloths and no chemicals.

·
Soupa Mod
2,521 Posts
To bring this post back on subject, I was told by Garmin that map update 2021.3 also contains a software patch to address the ghosting. So I had to update the unit and use it til it ghosts again before they will replace it. Good thing is that I didn't have the issue on the way to work this morning. It will probably start again just before my trip.
I am just updating my Nav VI....Garmin Express says the update is 2021.20

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had all of these problems when i went from a 5 to 6. It kept jumping around screens, restarting at the worst time etc. I gave it one last go. Backed up all of my POIs, deleted all maps, reloaded the latest OS and then downloaded the latest maps onto the NAV rather than the data card, then downloaded all of my POIs. It's now been working fine for about a year - lucky I guess.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am just updating my Nav VI....Garmin Express says the update is 2021.20
You are correct. I was trying to remember the version number and got it wrong. I corrected my post.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No I didn't - is there a 7 coming or it that the end?
According to some web sources the navigation screen will be built into the new TFT displays. You'll use a app on your phone to enter the routes.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well the software fix didn't solve my problem. Worked great for a day, then I stopped to talk to a friend in our neighborhood. When I restarted the bike the Nav freaked out. Back to Garmin it goes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
the old zumo 550 would occasionally get stuff under the edge of the gasket on the outer cover over the screen and it would cause unintended screen touches. The fix was to take a thin plastic strip and run it around the edge, just under the edge of the seal to clear out any trapped dirt. I wonder if that is what is going on.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts