BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I just received my 2nd replacement nav 6 and this one is also the older 5.8 software version, with 2017 maps.

Like the OP, I just want this to work and be reliable. Confidence level is not high.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
@Lamby66 Did you not logon to Garmin Express with your replacement and download the software and map updates?

·
Registered
2012 GTL
122 Posts
@Lamby66 Did you not logon to Garmin Express with your replacement and download the software and map updates?
Yes, I updated it after I got the replacement. I was just stating that the replacement unit came with hardware v8, software 5.8 and 2017 maps. It now has the 2022.25 maps, but the same software revision (the colorful older screen) Bike is in storage now so I have no idea how long this one will last.

·
Premium Member
2021 BMW K1600GT Sport
87 Posts
I had the same issues, got the new nav6+ too as replacement. Works so much better then the older model! Hope it will be a bit more reliable though...

Reactions: joeducati

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have 2 of the "NEW" version Nav6. They may as well be called Nav7 because of the improvements!
The original Nav6 had a Hardware Version of something before V8 if I recall.
The first iteration of "Refurbished" units that were supposed to be a solution were distinguishable by getting a V8, now it's still a V8, but the software version is not a sequential change, just a huge leap to 10.00

I got a replacement a couple months ago and my software version is 5.8

·
Registered
2012 GTL
122 Posts
I wonder how one can go about getting the new revision.. I wonder if you would be able to ask the Garmin rep while they are are making a claim. I would guess I will be calling them again in the spring (hope not, but history is NOT on my side here)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased my 2014 K1600GTL in Denver this past June. I had a 800 mile ride back home, and the problems started at mile 300. The unit is continuously recycling on/off. I did all the reset suggestions and
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

checked for loose connections, but no luck in finding a solution. From what I am reading in the Forum,
the Garmin Motorrad Nav system is going to be a problem regardless of the the model number, IV, V, VI, VII...?

I really hate the thought of just de-enrgizing the unit, so I am hoping someone has found a solution to this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Previous to the Nav VI screen ghosting issues, the Nav IV and Nav V had problems with dirty contacts that were cleaned successfully with a eraser.
Dave,
I had read that dirty contacts was a known problem, so have gone through and cleaned the contacts (with an eraser and also with electrical contact cleaner). The problem even occurs with the head unit removed from the cradle, with the USB plugged into a wall outlet as if you were externally charging, so it seems logical that the problem has to be in the head unit itself.

Do you think the Model IV head unit is worth sending off for repair, or would it be better to invest the money in a newer model? Also, does the existing cradle work with the newer head units, without much modification?

I appreciate your thoughts, as well as others on this forum who might have made a similar upgrade, to hear about their experience.

Jim

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
@JamesAbel The newer models will fit your cradle but will require a different shroud to see all the screen. You could post your location asking a fellow K16 rider in your area if they could let you look at their Nav V or Nav VI to gauge the difference.

Last year after the Garmin website was hacked my Nav V crashed while updating maps so I traded it in to them for a refurbished unit. My Nav V screen gets washed out when the sun shines directly on it otherwise it works for me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I purchased my 2014 K1600GTL in Denver this past June. I had a 800 mile ride back home, and the problems started at mile 300. The unit is continuously recycling on/off. I did all the reset suggestions and View attachment 159290
checked for loose connections, but no luck in finding a solution. From what I am reading in the Forum,
the Garmin Motorrad Nav system is going to be a problem regardless of the the model number, IV, V, VI, VII...?

I really hate the thought of just de-enrgizing the unit, so I am hoping someone has found a solution to this?
I never had one problem with my Nav V, and since Garmin sent me a replacement for my used Nav VI, it seems to be working just fine!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Previous to the Nav VI screen ghosting issues, the Nav IV and Nav V had problems with dirty contacts that were cleaned successfully with a eraser.
Is it really safe to use an eraser on those contacts? They're gold plated, I would think an eraser could remove the plating. Just a tissue with isopropyl alcohol should do a thorough cleaning, without damage to the gold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Got my Nav 6 replacement yesterday. 5.8, same old stuff. Get the feeling that it is going to start having its own mind soon. This is such BS, this is the best they can do for something priced over 800 dollars, very disappointing.

·
Registered
2012 GTL
122 Posts
Is it really safe to use an eraser on those contacts? They're gold plated, I would think an eraser could remove the plating. Just a tissue with isopropyl alcohol should do a thorough cleaning, without damage to the gold.
Yes, you can use an erasure on gold contacts. But you are right, it's a thin gold coating you can wear off. Ideally you would use a contact cleaner with a mild abrasive like a tissue. If you have corrosion you would use a more aggressive abrasive like an eraser.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Who has Garmins phone number ? My NAV VI is having ghosting issues 🤨
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
Two months back I bought a refurbished/used nav six from Amazon. It worked fine for the first two months, now it has started turning Pages by itself, zooming in and out and basically being useless. It does not respond to touch command when it is in this flickering mode. Any thoughts or suggestions? I guess it is time for the good old number six spacer board to come back on.
Try doing a hard restart

21 - 40 of 40 Posts