BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a NAV 5 and a NAV6 for reasons not further to be explained in this very forum.........
Anyway, I had the impression that the NAV 6 is by no means faster than its predecessor and that the only difference is the better screen. So here are the parameters

Both units

• connected to external power
  • firmware latest level
  • latest maps
  • settings identical (avoid dirt road and interstates)
  • NAV 5 about 1.5 GB internal memory and NAV 5 more than 5 GB available, so enough in both cases
  • Routing point to point from Melle Germany to Plauen Germany (about 420 km)
Results
NAV 5 _____________________________2 min 16 s
NAV 6 _____________________________2 min 24 s

So suspicion is confirmed, NAV 6 in this single benchmark is 5 % SLOWER.

Another test to evaluate the impact of Garmin Smartlink with traffic and weather enabled

NAV 5 ___________________________ 2 min 48 s, 23 % performance drop
NAV 6 ___________________________ 2 min 58 s, 23 % performance drop

Both NAV calculated the same travel time and distance, so no differences in routing strategy that are visible to the user.

Conclusion:
If you are OK with the visibility of your NAV 5 screen and you don' t need the only truly new feature 'round trip', stay with your NAV 5, the NAV 6 is way too expensive in relation to what it offers over the NAV 5. Lotsa hype, no gain.

Smartlink is not only a cell battery hog, but reduces dramatically the performance of both NAVs. Use it wisely..............

Please have mercy with BMW/Garmin, they only want your money, nothing more.

Since I ran out of bike improvement projects, I thought I mess a little bit with stuff that I have and I hope a few might find this interesting.

YRMV and JMHO
@GTLen : This report only represents my views and the aforementioned performance measurement were not taken in a controlled environment and will likely not pass a peer review. I do not intend to challenge BMWs/Garmins claim of a significant performance improvement or accuse them of false claims.:smile:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cannot confirm the above. I had both the Nav V and VI until recently (sold the V two weeks ago). I used the VI on my GTL, my daughter used the V on her Kawasaki until she got the new Tomtom that she prefers.
On our trip through the alps, we both used the exact same route, downloaded from the same computer. While my VI was ready to navigate, hers was still calculating - especially if the route had more than just a few waypoints.
Agreed, the speed difference is seconds, not minutes, so not worth to switch if you're overall happy with the V screen and performance. For me, the much better screen was the main reason to upgrade.

·
Registered
544 Posts
BTW: the speed difference will be probably more influenced by the setup than by the CPU processor. In my case, I used an SD Card in the Nav V and moved the maps to the card to make more memory available for routing. Accessing the (slower) SD card can explain the speed difference to the Nav VI, where it's all in the (bigger) memory and therefore faster...

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maps are both in the main memory, both have SD cards for whatever they use it for as they are practically empty. I did not use an uploaded route, I used as described a point to point route created by the Navigator. I will add to the benchmark the processing of a pre-loaded map and will report.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Uploaded a map created with Tyre (Karlsbad Czech Republic - Melle Germany)
Map has only 3 true way points, but almost 200 shaping points
Disabled all custom avoidances
All other settings as in the previous test

Results
NAV 5 _____________________________26 s
NAV 6 _____________________________25 s

Difference is practically 0 in this back to back test.

On a side note: if you activate a custom avoidance to process a uploaded map, calculation time goes through the roof and reaches several minutes. Moreover, this can change your uploaded map in a big and unintended way. So tread with care when you use uploaded maps and keep custom avoidances active.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
In the real world those numbers don't mean much......at least not to me.
A few seconds either way is not a big deal at all.

The single only reason I went for the NAV 6 is the screen, nothing else.
If the screen was not significantly better (which it is) I would of never changed from the NAV 5.

The NAV 6 screen improvement is worth the cost IMHO.
Net cost for me on the upgrade to the NAV 6 was about $320.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
might suspect that the improved screen is the reason the unit is a tad slower, ? more info to draw, in greater detail, especially when there is no real need to have games speed

·
Registered
68 Posts
Speed is important to me, though speed of route calculation is low on the list of priorities ... where I notice a significant speed improvement of VI over V is a) keyboard response, b) db search, and c) flipping from one screen to another.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I went for the VI solely for the improved screen. I never had issue with the Nav V's or Nav IV's speed. For me, the Nav VI's improved screen made my purchase worth the money. An added bonus is that my VI works much better with Smartlink. I get warnings and auto rerouting that I never got on my V or IV. I can't say at one Nav is faster at anything than the othe. If there is a difference, I have not observed it; nor would i have cared about it. Yesterday, while catching up to a group that had a 525 mile head statrt on a trip from NYC to PEI and Madeleine Island, my VI pinged and announced that the road ahead was closed and it was rerouting me around the closure. It did so without any input from me. Neither of my earlier Navs would have done this. As it turned out, there was a major accident on the road; I 95 northbound, in Maine, between a pick up truck and several motorcycles that were part of a group of hundreds on a charity run. Two motorcyclists were killed and several were injured. The road was closed for hours due to the crash.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
my VI pinged and announced that the road ahead was closed and it was rerouting me around the closure. It did so without any input from me.
My Nav V has never done this; if the VI has improved the POS link to SmartLink, then that's a major plus.

On the V, via SmartLink all it ever does is ping and warn of (for example) a "15 minute delay" on my route... Or keep repeating the same warnings "Excessive Heat" "Small Craft Warning", etc. The weather feature sucks. I was hoping that the weather map (on the V) would actually show an accurate weather-radar-like rendition, but no. I cam be IN a rainstorm, and the "weather map" shows nothing, as if it's beautiful weather.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the latest version of SmartLink on my iPhone linked to the NAV5. It does give me detours if traffic etc. is enabled.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
My Nav V has never done this; if the VI has improved the POS link to SmartLink, then that's a major plus.

On the V, via SmartLink all it ever does is ping and warn of (for example) a "15 minute delay" on my route... Or keep repeating the same warnings "Excessive Heat" "Small Craft Warning", etc. The weather feature sucks. I was hoping that the weather map (on the V) would actually show an accurate weather-radar-like rendition, but no. I cam be IN a rainstorm, and the "weather map" shows nothing, as if it's beautiful weather.
Did you buy the optional weather overlays? I can't remember the actual name, but it is available for the Nav VI and should do what you want it to do.
I think it was $20 a year - I considered it, but just use my phone.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you buy the optional weather overlays? I can't remember the actual name, but it is available for the Nav VI and should do what you want it to do.
Over here it is a weather radar and it displays an animated picture of precipitation along your route. This is unfortunately not an overlay for the route view you use. You have to open a second screen which gives you the weather information. I use it frequently and more than a few times I could successfully navigate away from serious weather. The NAV 5 has the same capability btw.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Hmmmm. I'l check into it. If I recall correctly, it "used" to show something. Perhaps it's expired.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts

My NAV V re-routed me due to traffic congestion a few times while in SLC, Utah last week.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I went for the VI solely for the improved screen. I never had issue with the Nav V's or Nav IV's speed. For me, the Nav VI's improved screen made my purchase worth the money. An added bonus is that my VI works much better with Smartlink. I get warnings and auto rerouting that I never got on my V or IV. I can't say at one Nav is faster at anything than the othe. If there is a difference, I have not observed it; nor would i have cared about it. Yesterday, while catching up to a group that had a 525 mile head statrt on a trip from NYC to PEI and Madeleine Island, my VI pinged and announced that the road ahead was closed and it was rerouting me around the closure. It did so without any input from me. Neither of my earlier Navs would have done this. As it turned out, there was a major accident on the road; I 95 northbound, in Maine, between a pick up truck and several motorcycles that were part of a group of hundreds on a charity run. Two motorcyclists were killed and several were injured. The road was closed for hours due to the crash.
Odd your V didn't do the auto rerouting, mine does when the road is closed or when it encounters severe traffic. It will announce it and reroute me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Over here it is a weather radar and it displays an animated picture of precipitation along your route. This is unfortunately not an overlay for the route view you use. You have to open a second screen which gives you the weather information. I use it frequently and more than a few times I could successfully navigate away from serious weather. The NAV 5 has the same capability btw.
Same for me but that second screen shows my route and position allowing me to see an animation of weather along my route. I use it very often, one of my favorite features.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Same for me but that second screen shows my route and position allowing me to see an animation of weather along my route. I use it very often, one of my favorite features.

yes forgot mentioned that it displays the route in the same screen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts