BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Nav 6 with my bike back in July of 21. I put my bike up for winter October 30th. Last week I decided to start the bike and let it run up to operating temp. I noticed the Nav 6 was in a constant power cycle loop.

At first, I figured the battery was just dead. I took it out of the cradle and let it charge plugged into my computer. Still constant power loop. I found reset instructions from Garmin, which got the unit to boot. Now the touch screen does not work.

I started a chat with Garmin support, and they are replacing. It sounds like this is a common issue with the unit. I'm going through the replacement process now and we will see how it goes.

I couldn't find much info about my issue online, so hopefully this info can help someone who ends up in the same situation as myself. Frustrating to have issues on new and expensive equipment, but at least it is winter time and it sounds like I'll have a replacement soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It sounds like it is a refurbished unit I'm being given. :( I suppose it probably doesn't make much of a difference, but disappointing to have to replace a brand new unit with 3 months of use on it for one that has been refurbished.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
When they go really dead, I have found you can't charge them via a computer USB port. You need a real charger and connect it to the GPS. I use an extra car cradle to do mine as needed. The battery/battery life in this gps is a joke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When they go really dead, I have found you can't charge them via a computer USB port. You need a real charger and connect it to the GPS. I use an extra car cradle to do mine as needed. The battery/battery life in this gps is a joke.
I did try both. The only way to get it to turn on is by removing the battery, plugging in the charger, and then putting the battery back in. Anything else just causes a endless loop of power cycles.

I'm not sure what caused it, but I'd bet it has something to do with the battery going dead and somehow taking the touchscreen out with it.

I did find in my research that when you shut the bike off and the countdown starts on the GPS, if you do not hit off the unit will go into sleep mode. So from now on, I'll be sure to hit the off prompt when I shut the bike down.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've got two and they both do it. Even put a new battery in one. NAV V did it as well.
I think the Navigator's are the only battery powered electronic devices I've ever had that need to be turned on and fully powered up before they will charge...

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I think the Navigator's are the only battery powered electronic devices I've ever had that need to be turned on and fully powered up before they will charge...

Tom
Yeah, when I charge mine in the house, I have to turn it on as well.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
After almost 3 years with my first Nav6, I just got approval for a replacement too. Unfortunately, it’s a refurbished unit, which means it will probably bite the dust at some point too.

If/When it happens, I will not accept another refurbished unit and continue the cycle. I’ll raise **** until I’m to much of a PITA to ignore.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm waiting for my 4th replacement NAV VI to arrive today, my 3rd replacement only lasted about 3 or 4 months before it started jumping screens and failing to accept touch commands. The NAV VI is a decent GPS when it works and I like the convenience of operating it with the wonder wheel but the unit is notoriously unreliable. I'm on my 4th replacement unit and there are people who have more replacements than I do. I appreciate Garmins easy return/replacement policy but if/when this unit fails I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a XT.

·
Registered
562 Posts
After almost 3 years with my first Nav6, I just got approval for a replacement too. Unfortunately, it’s a refurbished unit, which means it will probably bite the dust at some point too.

If/When it happens, I will not accept another refurbished unit and continue the cycle. I’ll raise **** until I’m to much of a PITA to ignore.
What do you hope to gain? Refund, New Unit? Different Garmin model? I will be interesting to see how Garmin handles someone who refuses a refurbished unit.

·
Scammer Hammer
3,810 Posts
I amazes me how companies will be soooo cheap azz they never fix the problems causing them to spend soooo much money.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
514 Posts
if/when this unit fails I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a XT.
I'm not sure what the hesitation is. It's easy really. Receive the replacement, sell it, buy the XT for what you sold the Nav VI for, and then enjoy it immensely 🙂

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm not sure what the hesitation is. It's easy really. Receive the replacement, sell it, buy the XT for what you sold the Nav VI for, and then enjoy it immensely 🙂
I don't want to give up the wonder wheel function but might have to, reliability is more important than the wonder wheel feature. If my replacement fails I can still get another replacement, sell it and buy the XT. Time will tell

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
514 Posts
I don't want to give up the wonder wheel function but might have to, reliability is more important than the wonder wheel feature. If my replacement fails I can still get another replacement, sell it and buy the XT. Time will tell
Wonderwheel didn't matter to me. I know that others like using it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
What do you hope to gain? Refund, New Unit? Different Garmin model? I will be interesting to see how Garmin handles someone who refuses a refurbished unit.
I want that “new” model others suggest exists. Garmin Support seemed to acknowledge it exists too.

I’m not interested in continuing the merry-go-round of getting units known to have a high probability of failure. $1,000 is too much to have spent for sub par quality.

Worst case and no choice, I’ll accept a second refurbished unit and sell it like @Gunnert did. Even though I’ll be pissed, I’ll probably buy an XT, just because there isn’t a superior platform to Basecamp for creating complex routes. We’ll see what the future brings.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
514 Posts
I want that “new” model others suggest exists. Garmin Support seemed to acknowledge it exists too.

I’m not interested in continuing the merry-go-round of getting units known to have a high probability of failure. $1,000 is too much to have spent for sub par quality.

Worst case and no choice, I’ll accept a second refurbished unit and sell it like @Gunnert did. Even though I’ll be pissed, I’ll probably buy an XT, just because there isn’t a superior platform to Basecamp for creating complex routes. We’ll see what the future brings.
There have been reports of the "new" version failing over at adv forums.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
There have been reports of the "new" version failing over at adv forums.

Thanks for blowing some sunshine into my day. 😉

I’m keeping my 2018 for the long term, so maybe the Zumo XT is in my future.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts