BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ouch. None of this is promising. It sounds like they will keep replacing them at least. Pretty unbelievable approach towards a $1,000 unit. I'm not sure what the XT is, but I'll look into it.

Now I wish I had waited for a '22 K16B. I'm assuming nav is built in there, but that could mean a whole new world of issues.

My 21 came up in the green I wanted as a demo with 200 miles on it and the deal was too good to pass up. I'm still happy too, because I'm not really sold on the new running lights anyways.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I bought a Nav 6 with my bike back in July of 21. I put my bike up for winter October 30th. Last week I decided to start the bike and let it run up to operating temp. I noticed the Nav 6 was in a constant power cycle loop.

At first, I figured the battery was just dead. I took it out of the cradle and let it charge plugged into my computer. Still constant power loop. I found reset instructions from Garmin, which got the unit to boot. Now the touch screen does not work.

I started a chat with Garmin support, and they are replacing. It sounds like this is a common issue with the unit. I'm going through the replacement process now and we will see how it goes.

I couldn't find much info about my issue online, so hopefully this info can help someone who ends up in the same situation as myself. Frustrating to have issues on new and expensive equipment, but at least it is winter time and it sounds like I'll have a replacement soon.
Many threads about not starting your K16 once it’s in winter storage. Most connect a smart charger to the battery over the winter months. You can remove your Nav from the K16 and then remove it’s battery to prevent it from discharging.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Many threads about not starting your K16 once it’s in winter storage. Most connect a smart charger to the battery over the winter months. You can remove your Nav from the K16 and then remove it’s battery to prevent it from discharging.
The Navigator will not charge when it is on the bike and not running so whether the bike is on a charger or not makes no difference. The last sentence is a MUST to prevent it from discharging. :cool:

Tom

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ouch. None of this is promising. It sounds like they will keep replacing them at least. Pretty unbelievable approach towards a $1,000 unit. I'm not sure what the XT is, but I'll look into it.
The Zumo XT is just another Garmin GPS but it's not compatible with the wonder wheel and I don't think it'll fit in the dash of the K16 like the NAV VI does but it's a better unit and it doesn't suffer from the same issues that causes the NAV VI to fail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's plugged in to a tender. I started it while working in the garage and let it run plenty long enough to not have to worry about any moisture in the oil. Usually the biggest concern with starting something in the winter and not letting it run long enough.

I'm kind of glad I did, or else I'd be waiting on a GPS replacement and have to take my spring trip without it.

I'll be removing the battery from the replacement unit for longer term storage after this, that's for sure.

·
Scammer Hammer
3,795 Posts
I keep my 2 Nav units on my desk. Every couple of weeks I check the Nav VI and always plug it in and top up the charge. It is always down. I have it charging right now. The Nav IV never shows any discharge.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
493 Posts
The Zumo XT is just another Garmin GPS but it's not compatible with the wonder wheel and I don't think it'll fit in the dash of the K16 like the NAV VI does but it's a better unit and it doesn't suffer from the same issues that causes the NAV VI to fail.

It will fit. OAN, I've never had any Garmin fail aside from the NAV VI. I've used 2 zumos and 3 or 4 Nuvi's that I used on bikes for many years. Even the car Nuvi's used on bikes worked perfectly for years!

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Knock on wood, but I’m in the final year of my Nav VI warranty (expiring in November) and so far never an issue in the past four years. I added a screen protector, and the unit stayed in the dash during the spring, summer and early fall, and I brought it inside during the winter. So I don’t know…maybe I drew the long straw and mine is one of the few that’s an outlier on the bell curve for mean time between failure. Nevertheless, I expect to get an XT in the next couple of months to mount to my GSA handlebar should the Nav VI fail during this year’s riding season. I already bought the Italian adapter with lock for my GSA in case I need to move the XT to the dash at some point.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Knock on wood, but I’m in the final year of my Nav VI warranty (expiring in November) and so far never an issue in the past four years. I added a screen protector, and the unit stayed in the dash during the spring, summer and early fall, and I brought it inside during the winter. So I don’t know…maybe I drew the long straw and mine is one of the few that’s an outlier on the bell curve for mean time between failure. Nevertheless, I expect to get an XT in the next couple of months to mount to my GSA handlebar should the Nav VI fail during this year’s riding season. I already bought the Italian adapter with lock for my GSA in case I need to move the XT to the dash at some point.
Does the adapter allow you to power the XT from the cradle or do you still have to wire it to a power source?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Does the adapter allow you to power the XT from the cradle or do you still have to wire it to a power source?
You can still power it from the dash, but no wonder wheel functionality with the XT. (The hardware mount included with the Garmin unit mates to the adapter). I seldom used the ww with regard to the Nav VI anyway, so I doubt I’ll miss it. Besides, with 2 Nav units mounted I can still have redundancy and options if the Nav VI continues to hold up. I’ve seen quite a few riders with a dual Nav set up for whatever variety of functionality or multitasking they desire. But from the handlebar I’ll wire it back with the included XT wiring harness to an available circuit on my Denali CanSmart accessories manager…that’s the plan at least.

Here’s a link for a GS installation in the dash, fwiw:

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
Now I wish I had waited for a '22 K16B. I'm assuming nav is built in there, but that could mean a whole new world of issues.
From what I've read about the '22 bikes with the TFT dash it doesn't have a GPS but instead takes direction from your smart phone apps. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's plugged in to a tender. I started it while working in the garage and let it run plenty long enough to not have to worry about any moisture in the oil. Usually the biggest concern with starting something in the winter and not letting it run long enough.

I'm kind of glad I did, or else I'd be waiting on a GPS replacement and have to take my spring trip without it.

I'll be removing the battery from the replacement unit for longer term storage after this, that's for sure.
This guy seems to explain it pretty good. Take if for what it's worth as I short trip my bikes a ton but I've quit starting them in the winter. It's right after he talks to his wife at the beginning.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
493 Posts
This guy seems to explain it pretty good. Take if for what it's worth as I short trip my bikes a ton but I've quit starting them in the winter. It's right after he talks to his wife at the beginning.

I've never understood why people think starting a vehicle a bit every now and then is a good thing. I've left on year long deployments and I have vehicles that are never started while gone. Put on a battery tender or remove the battery and leave it be. They start right up everytime a year or so later. I've had co workers who would let someone start their cars and let idle, rev the engine a few times etc once a month. And then they wonder why they have problems!

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I have two Navs and the screen error forced replacement of one but I've never had a battery problem. I always leave the bike on charge because we have to have trackers on our bikes for insurance purposes. I wonder if puts power in through that.

Separately does anyone know of a powerlet type trickle charger that also has USB ports to charge the helmets?

·
Scammer Hammer
3,795 Posts
I have two Navs and the screen error forced replacement of one but I've never had a battery problem. I always leave the bike on charge because we have to have trackers on our bikes for insurance purposes. I wonder if puts power in through that.

Separately does anyone know of a powerlet type trickle charger that also has USB ports to charge the helmets?
The Nav units including the VI only get charged when the bike is on. Sitting there with the bike turned off the Nav VI has this terrible habit of consuming power and exhausting their internal battery.

I can't help you with your second question.

·
Registered
665 Posts
There have been reports of the "new" version failing over at adv forums.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I am not surprised. The programming of Garmin units have a different design, it's no longer user friendly, as if programmed, or spec'd, by someone not personally familiar with long distance driving, and free spirit of compromise. Has a Chinese feel to me in mentality. For example, I am looking at TomTom because my style of touring is free form, where I want to tell the GPS to get me to a town, not knowing what's there, and when I get to the town, I want to click historic site, or restaurant, hotel, etc., but I don't know how much time I spend at interesting places along the way. I want the flexibility of sightseeing at my pace, not the tourguide's timeline way, like tourists from the Orient. So, it is most important to me, to enter a town name, resulting choices sorted by proximity to my current location, then click the choice I want, and the GPS gives me the direction to go there. The new Garmin makes that flexibility hard. GARMIN insists on a street name, then town. How the heck am I supposed to know a street name of a place I have not been to? If I knew the destination, then I wouldn't need Garmin's advice. Garmin no longer makes common sense with traffic advice either, in places I know, either. Garmin has become strange, foreign, not familiar with the USA, or Europe. I don't think their program designers even drive a car.

I think Garmin has outsourced their programming and design to the Far East. There they pre-program each step, have a stop watch for how much time to stop at interesting sites, and it is preprogrammed what is interesting and what is not. I just hate that kind of touring.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I am not surprised. The programming of Garmin units have a different design, it's no longer user friendly, as if programmed, or spec'd, by someone not personally familiar with long distance driving, and free spirit of compromise. Has a Chinese feel to me in mentality. For example, I am looking at TomTom because my style of touring is free form, where I want to tell the GPS to get me to a town, not knowing what's there, and when I get to the town, I want to click historic site, or restaurant, hotel, etc., but I don't know how much time I spend at interesting places along the way. I want the flexibility of sightseeing at my pace, not the tourguide's timeline way, like tourists from the Orient. So, it is most important to me, to enter a town name, resulting choices sorted by proximity to my current location, then click the choice I want, and the GPS gives me the direction to go there. The new Garmin makes that flexibility hard. GARMIN insists on a street name, then town. How the heck am I supposed to know a street name of a place I have not been to? If I knew the destination, then I wouldn't need Garmin's advice. Garmin no longer makes common sense with traffic advice either, in places I know, either. Garmin has become strange, foreign, not familiar with the USA, or Europe. I don't think their program designers even drive a car.

I think Garmin has outsourced their programming and design to the Far East. There they pre-program each step, have a stop watch for how much time to stop at interesting sites, and it is preprogrammed what is interesting and what is not. I just hate that kind of touring.
I use google maps, find what I want a share it with Smartphone Link. I neither like the smartphone search which is HERE or the screen input for the reasons you say. However the PoI is quite good once you're close

Search on Google Maps
Map Ecoregion World Line Screenshot

Press Share
Rectangle Font Slope Screenshot Logo

You can actually press SEND multiple times and all the locations are sent to Nav VI when it next connects

Reactions: OSCS
21 - 40 of 43 Posts