BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy and I and maybe others are planning on an Arkansas / Ozarks trip this spring. Would like some advice on where to stay etc.

Thinking about last week of April - arrive on Monday the 27th, riding Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and then depart on Friday. I'm coming from Colorado, my buddy from Houston.

Thinking of staying in hotels but need to decide where - Eureka Springs or Harrison or Hot Springs

Should we stay all nights in one place or move say Wednesday night to a different location?

Are three days of riding enough?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Last summer my 2 brothers and I along with 5 others did the same thing. We stayed in the Pinewood cabins in Mountain View for 4 nights. Did day rides every day although some of the guys went fishing one day. We then moved to Eureka Springs where we stayed in the Trails Inn for 3 more nights and did day rides out of there.

The cabins were great. They are set up for 2 people each so we had 4 of them which were all next to each other. They have full kitchens so we grabbed some food and cooked several meals, one of which was a fresh trout dinner thanks to the fisherman.

The Trails Inn is a biker friendly motel. There were a couple restaurants with in walking distance where we had good breakfasts and evening dinners.

My brother Kevin laid out all of the day rides and has them in a Basecamp gpx. file so I'm sure he would pass them on if you would like.

This was one of our best get togethers with great weather, fantastic roads to ride and relaxing evenings. We did the trip in mid May. There was rain forecast almost every day but it never did rain. The summer humidity hadn't kicked in yet either.

Coming from Colorado I would suggest checking out the Trails Inn in Eureka Springs https://www.thetrailsinn.com/ and plan on staying there every night. You don't want to waste time packing up and checking in to another motel in the middle of the trip. There is plenty of riding out of there to fill in your days. "Are 3 days of riding enough" NO but if that's all you have it will be a start and whet your appetite for another trip back in the future.

Reactions: J-Luv and onad

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Point west resort just outside Eureka is a great hotel. It is right on beaver lake. Also you might look at the best Western. It has motorcycle secure parking and it's in the middle of town. I prefer point west myself because of the lake view.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I've used both Harrison and Eureka Springs as ground zero.
I much prefer Harrison. Easier access to some of the best riding roads in the area.
Eureka Springs is much too touristy for my liking. I stayed at the Edelweiss Inn when I was there.
In Harrison, I stayed at the Quality Inn. Very nice hotel with outside access so you can park your motorcycle outside of your room.
Jamie's is a very nice restaurant right next door. A varied menu and reasonable priced. I ate there for the three days I was there.
There is also a couple of cool spots for breakfast too. The Neighborhood Diner has great breakfast complete with snarky waitresses,
A great lunch stop in Mountain View is Mickey BBQ; recently voted the best BBQ in the state.
Another fun place for lunch is Oark General Store in Oark. Oldest store in Arkansas. Great burgers too.

The hotel will have a scenic roads map. Easy to follow.

My preference is to stay put and not move around.

Three days should be plenty.

If my personal plans settle down, you might see me there around that time.

Have fun.

Joe

Reactions: onad and STRich

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hotel Seville in Harrison. It’s part of the Choice Hotel network. They have inside covered parking, a motorcycle wash station and a great bar restaurant for end of the ride recovery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Eureka Springs is great with Harrison second. ES is a tourist town but at that time not much going on. Stay at Best Western, good location with a full hotel style buffet breakfast included. Fantastic breakfast. Very nice people at BW, tell Jed the manager that the Pie Riders sent you. You enjoy the roads in the area as much as Colorado. Roads are clean with very light traffic. My group went to Colorado in May for 16 yrs, but last two we went to Arkansas. Every loved it so did two years. Colorado is great but Arkansas will amaze you. Harrison is just a regular town but ok to stay at. You can ride for a week in NE Arkansas. Love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go on line and get the Arkansas motorcycle guide. They highlight some of the best routes. Route AR 7 from Hot Springs to Harrison is fantastic. Bits just one of many.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Eureka Springs for the win

I live in the Dallas area but we built a weekend home in Eureka Springs because we love the area so I'm biased. You can use Eureka as a base and have tons of evening choices after a day of great riding.

If you're wanting to keep the cost down then it's hard to beat either of the Best Western hotels in town. They aren't anything special but the people at both are great. The Quality Inn is another good budget choice. If you're wanting to feel like it's a vacation and a little more of an adventure then there are tons of B&B's and some fun hotels from the Victorian age. My go to was The Crescent and if you time it right you can get a nice room for a decent price. Pizza and beer at the cafe on the roof is a great way to end the day.

Great food is easy to find, my choices...
  • Rocking Pig Saloon (our go-to) - an enigma that is a "Harley bar" for families with great food, get the filet, trust me
  • The Cathouse/Pied Piper - Another biker bar for the Harley crowd but again, food is great - Reuben sandwich!
  • New Deli Cafe - super casual bar/deli with some decent food and often live music
  • Mud Street Cafe - breakfast at a place the is all Eureka through and through
  • Bubba's BBQ - need I say more
  • Local Flavor - more formal dining, more money
  • Rouge's Manor - quirky but good, great scotch selection.
  • Emilio's - Italian and everyone's favorite, probably crowded
  • The Stonehouse - wine/beer and charcuterie, no real food. Great place to chill with friends
  • The Balcony at the Basin Park Hotel - outside over the main drag in Downtown. Service is iffy but another great place to relax after a day of riding
There are many more but I can vouch for these.

If I'm in town maybe we can kick back with a scotch on the back deck...

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Got room for the banjo? just sayin'>:)
Rick

Reactions: BMWGuy

·
Registered
151 Posts
a buddy and I and maybe others are planning on an Arkansas / Ozarks trip this spring. Would like some advice on where to stay etc.

Thinking about last week of April - arrive on Monday the 27th, riding Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and then depart on Friday. I'm coming from Colorado, my buddy from Houston.

Thinking of staying in hotels but need to decide where - Eureka Springs or Harrison or Hot Springs

Should we stay all nights in one place or move say Wednesday night to a different location?

Are three days of riding enough?

Thanks for any advice.
I have ridden down there for about 12 years. If you want to do some riding and have other stuff to do also, stay in Eureka Springs. If the point of the trip is to ride and ride a lot, stay around Harrison. There is a place in Marble Falls, just south of Harrison, https://www.marblefallsarkansas.com/ that caters to riders. It changed hands a couple years ago but it is still a great place to have your base camp. From there you could easily spend a week riding and never ride the same route. Lots of good day trips out of there. Restaurant on site or there is Harrison to the north and Jasper, Ozark Café is a must, to the South. 3 days of riding is not enough.

Good luck

·
Registered
268 Posts
Last summer my 2 brothers and I along with 5 others did the same thing. We stayed in the Pinewood cabins in Mountain View for 4 nights. Did day rides every day although some of the guys went fishing one day. We then moved to Eureka Springs where we stayed in the Trails Inn for 3 more nights and did day rides out of there.

The cabins were great. They are set up for 2 people each so we had 4 of them which were all next to each other. They have full kitchens so we grabbed some food and cooked several meals, one of which was a fresh trout dinner thanks to the fisherman.

The Trails Inn is a biker friendly motel. There were a couple restaurants with in walking distance where we had good breakfasts and evening dinners.

My brother Kevin laid out all of the day rides and has them in a Basecamp gpx. file so I'm sure he would pass them on if you would like.

This was one of our best get togethers with great weather, fantastic roads to ride and relaxing evenings. We did the trip in mid May. There was rain forecast almost every day but it never did rain. The summer humidity hadn't kicked in yet either.

Coming from Colorado I would suggest checking out the Trails Inn in Eureka Springs https://www.thetrailsinn.com/ and plan on staying there every night. You don't want to waste time packing up and checking in to another motel in the middle of the trip. There is plenty of riding out of there to fill in your days. "Are 3 days of riding enough" NO but if that's all you have it will be a start and whet your appetite for another trip back in the future.

That was mighty good trout Jim. Thanks for the invite by Kevin and thanks to you guys for allowing me to butt in to your outing. I would highly recommend Pinewood cabins for a great place to stay as well. :wink:

·
KBiK
1,466 Posts
Buy the Butler Maps for the Ozarks.

That will give you a really good guide to the best roads. Decide where you want to ride, and then decide where you want to stay.

Reactions: Ranger1 and BMWGuy

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Lots of great advice. There of us rode from Southern Colorado to Arkansas last fall and our preference was to hit the west and central roads with help from the Butler map. We moved nightly and rode different loops and "color highlighted" routes. Just another way to do it.
The road surfaces were great. The people were very motorcycle friendly. Discounts for motorcycles at some motels. The car drivers would hold to let the third rider pass thru an intersection; just a very pleasant experience overall!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Buy the Butler Maps for the Ozarks.

That will give you a really good guide to the best roads. Decide where you want to ride, and then decide where you want to stay.
I second the approach of connecting certain dots to maximize your quality time in the saddle. Eureka Springs is a superb jumping off point though, as AZ Jim and others have mentioned. You may want to add another overnight destination though like Russelville, Hot Springs or Mena to give you access to the other half of what the Ozarks have to offer. Connecting the dots will provide you with some of the best riding in the country. Here are my favorite highways, with towns (and a few state parks) serving as the "dots", favorites mentioned first:

- AR23 (aka pig trail) from the Missouri line south to Cass (side tripping to Crescent Hotel in Eureka and to War Eagle Mill south of Eureka along the way), then AR215 to the Oark general store (great atmosphere and burgers); then back track to AR16 east to Swane; then AR21 to Boxley and AR74 to Ponca and on to Jasper. This will be the junction with "Scenic" highway 7.
- Arkansas Hwy. 7 is right up there with the pig trail, possibly better. From Jasper head north if overnighting in Harrison, otherwise head south to Russelville and continuing all the way to Hot Springs. There, find the Arlington Hotel and take the side street off AR7 beside the hotel up the incredibly winding switchbacks to the top of Hot Springs mountain. This drive is a museum piece road. Hot Springs has a few great BBQ joints. I usually do a hot bath while there if overnighting.
- The next ride connects two of the state's best parks, Petite Jean and Magazine Mountain. Backtrack on AR7 north, then take AR9 to Oppelo, then left on AR154 up and over the first mountain park, checking out the CCC cabins & lodge en route. Then take AR10 to Havana and launch onto AR309 up and over Mt. Magazine, which has newer/pricier lodging. Wait to eat when you're good and hungry in Paris at the Grapevine restaurant. Well worth it. In fact, Paris would make a good overnight.
- AR27 is another while you're in the area. Backtrack from Paris to Dardanelle, then take AR27 south to Norman, Caddo Valley and Glenwood. Glenwood has a cool golf course with overnight accomodations. Then head west to Mena and take the Wilhelmina scenic drive into Oklahoma.
- One other state park worth checking out for their CCC cabins is Devils Den State park, off I-49 north of Fort Smith. The entrance road to this park is magnificent serpentine & hasn't changed in 40 years. This at least gives you some other overnight options with terrific roads thrown in for fits and giggles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you want to do some riding and have other stuff to do also, stay in Eureka Springs. If the point of the trip is to ride and ride a lot, stay around Harrison.
This.

We stayed in Harrison and there was great riding in every direction. There are enough food and lodging options there as well (we stayed at the Hampton Inn). Eureka Springs was pretty jammed with tourists when we went there for lunch.

Have fun.
- RightD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts