BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken up the cudgel with BMW over the dreadful problems I have encountered with 2022 model 1600 GT and BMW’s new arrangement vis-a-vis smart phones, the bike’s cubbyhole (where the GPS device used to sit), the problems of integration between the phone running the Connected navigation app and what is displayed in the TFT screen. It really is a disaster.

If anyone is interested, see here: New big TFT screen 1600 - Phone cubbyhole thing

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The earlier 1600 GT models have a cubbyhole (a recessed mount) built into the upper part of the dashboard, to take a BMW Navigator branded, GPS device. It worked really well.

For 2022, this cubbyhole was changed fundamentally. BMW redesigned the cubbyhole, to take a smart phone, instead of a GPS device. The purpose of the redesign was to allow the rider to run BMW’s own Connected app, through the phone in the cubbyhole and have it displayed on the large TFT screen.

In brief, BMW have managed to make something that does not work, as detailed in the opening post.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
@Wapping123 By all means have a rant at them and get it off your chest but................................

1. It won't change anything.
2. The phone/Connected App actually does work, but what you got to get your head around is this.............................

As you have pointed out, on pre 22 K16's and pre 21 RT's you went and purchased a BMW Nav and it fitted in the dash, a Tom Tom would not fit and most other Garmin devices would not fit and we all accepted that and paid BMW a fortune to get the Nav.

On 22+ K16's, R18's and 21+RT's you just have to buy a phone that fits in the pocket and connects (Android is easier to connect) so, its exactly the same logic.

BMW have stated that the pocket on the K16's, R18's and RT's will fit 90% of the phones that we all use and that is pure crap. BMW have not figured out that...................

1. Most of the guys who buy these bikes have a few bucks/quid in their pocket, to afford the dammed things, so we want the best phones and that is normally a big phone.
2. Most of us are, lets say mature riders, so our eyesight is probably crap so we want a big phone.

All of that is before we get into the pure impractically of using the phone pocket, particularly on the K16.

So, if you buy a second hand phone that fits in the pocket and a cable to charge it you can leave it in the bike all day and it all will work and its actually quite good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can accept that BMW wanted to move away from their association with Garmin and, no doubt, put the disaster that was the Navigator VI behind them.

I can accept that BMW saw the former cubbyhole that housed the Navigator device as being repurposed to hold a smart phone. I like the cubbyhole idea, I always have.

I can accept that BMW favour the use of their in-house connected app. I think it is actually quite good.

I have bought the secondhand Android phone and the short length BMW charging lead,

At a pinch I can just about accept that the largest of the smart phones does not fit. I can even just about accept that an iPhone not making an automatic WiFi reconnection to the cradle is (in part) an Apple problem, not one unique to BMW. I can even accept that BMW were unable to include wireless charging in the 1600’s repurposed cubbyhole. As I said, I like BMW products, so I am prepared to be pretty understanding and accommodating.

What I cannot accept is that putting the smart phone into the repurposed cubbyhole, then running the BMW Connected app, results in a corrupted (off position, off route) positional cursor being displayed on the bike’s brand new and much heralded large TFT screen. When I moved the phone from the cubbyhole and put it into my tank bag, the corruption stopped; everything was perfect. When I then moved the phone from my tank bag, back into the cubbyhole, the corruption started again.

There is no other intervening cause of the corruption, that I can think of, other than the phone being in the bike’s purpose made cubbyhole.

I have raised the issue with BMW UK and will be raising it directly with my dealership, BMW Motorrad, Park Lane.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
@Wapping123 Got it, you have an interference problem, I have not come across that before. In the RT the phone lies flat but in the K16 its on its side, I wonder if the GPS sensor is on the side of the phone and if you turn it around it might be at the top.

Have you tired that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you.

I had thought about that but there is a problem. The phone (a standard Samsung S10) is not overly large but it is still a tight fit lengthways into the cradle. The fit is then made more difficult as the phone has to be charged via the short USB C to USB C lead, bought separately.

The lack of space in the cubbyhole, dictates that the phone, laid on its side, has to have its power socket to the right, as viewed from the rider’s position, sat on the seat. It cannot be laid so that the phone’s power socket is to the left. The only variable, is to either have the phone’s screen facing towards the rider or away.

The only thing I can think of is to try using my iPhone in the cubbyhole, to see if that suffers from the same corruption. I have therefore spent some more money buying the short BMW lead as well. But, the iPhone brings with it another problem, as a drop of the WiFI connection (and an iPhone’s inability to reconnect automatically) means it has to be reconnected manually each time. This means, taking the phone out of the cradle, putting it back, all whilst avoiding touching the screen, or you run the risk of closing the app, and having to start again!

I am usually eternally patient and not prone to overly ranting, but this is trying my patience….. and that of all the saints, too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was on my European trip this year my S10 bike phone overheated in 40 degree temps. It was only happy in my wunderlich handle bar bag. That sort of bag.could be a good investment.
The new 1600’s cubbyhole has fan coiling, to relieve that problem.

it is rare to hit 40 degrees, so I can live with that challenge, at least for now. The phone seems happy enough in my tank bag.

The only problem I have to fix, is the corruption of the signal between the phone in the cubbyhole and the TFT screen. When the phone is in the cubbyhole, the signal is corrupted. When it sits in my tank bag, it is not corrupted. It’s that simple.

·
Registered
2022 K1600GT
106 Posts
I agree with @DavidMcK. We take what BMW gives us make it work for us. Yes, there is lots to improve on the new design. I agree with much of what is being said here, and I don't want to do it BMW's way. Why would I want my phone locked up? I want to see it. Ever since I mounted my Zumo XT, I'm as happy as a clam, I feel no frustration with the navigation app. My advice is to do what is needed to make it work for you!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Rim Machine

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have taken up the cudgel with BMW over the dreadful problems I have encountered with 2022 model 1600 GT and BMW’s new arrangement vis-a-vis smart phones, the bike’s cubbyhole (where the GPS device used to sit), the problems of integration between the phone running the Connected navigation app and what is displayed in the TFT screen. It really is a disaster.

If anyone is interested, see here: New big TFT screen 1600 - Phone cubbyhole thing
I gave up on the thing and accepted the fact that it sucks!.... so I now have a Garmin connected to my phone and helmet and life is good again 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
2022 K1600 GT
77 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I gave up on the thing and accepted the fact that it sucks!.... so I now have a Garmin connected to my phone and helmet and life is good again 👍🏻
That's what I did. But I want one more thing: I want the TFT to not try to connect the local wifi to my iPhone, so that I don't get a flashing "no wifi" icon on my TFT all day long as I ride.

What a mess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what I did. But I want one more thing: I want the TFT to not try to connect the local wifi to my iPhone, so that I don't get a flashing "no wifi" icon on my TFT all day long as I ride.

What a mess.
I’m afraid that is an iPhone problem. There is what I’d call an ‘incompatibility’ problem between the iPhone and the bike’s local WiFi network. If the WiFi connection is lost, an iPhone is unable to reconnect to it automatically, it has to be done manually. This is very different to the way that an iPhone normally works, where it will automatically reconnect to say your powerful home or office WiFi very reliably.

Android phones do not suffer from this problem and will rejoin the bike’s WiFi network reasonably reliably.

I too (who had never owned an Android phone) was frustrated by this problem. I picked up on the only cure via another forum. Following advice there I bought a refurbished Samsung S10 phone, using it only with my 1600. It reconnects (not always particularly fast) but reasonably reliably each time.

I do not pretend that I understand the reasons why an Android phone reconnects but an iPhone doesn’t; I have just accepted that that is the way it is.

i hope that helps you.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Android and iOS connect differently.

With an Android phone you Bluetooth the phone to the bike and that is all. Android and the TFT then use Wi-Fi direct to maintain connection for maps, there is no configuring to this other than a switch under the Advanced settings called "Turn On Wi-Fi automatically" this should be disabled. This setting, if left on, will switch Wi-Fi on and off depending on your location and you do not want that.

With Android you can be connected to the bike and your home network simultaneously.

With an iPhone the TFT has to broadcast as a WIFI hotspot and its maintaining this connectivity that is the issue.

With an iPhone you can not be connected to your home network and the bike at the same time.

If you have a bike phone and a personal phone (does not matter which type) you should download the Connected App to your personal phone and your maps. That will give you a backup for your system and the runs that you do on the bike will be recorded on the bike phone and will automatically be synced to your personal phone using the BMW Hub.

·
Premium Member
2022 K1600 GT
77 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I want BMW to add code to their TFT so that I can switch off the TFT trying to connect to a wifi. On the iPhone, I can go to Settings-Connected App and turn off "local network" - it turns it off only for the Connected App, my iPhone still connects to all other networks. But the TFT still looks for a phone to connect to its "local network", it can't find one, then I get a blinking icon on the TFT that blinks while I am riding, this is beyond a nuisance.

There is one way to keep that from happening - that is, doing what we all complaint about here - I have to have my iPhone in my hand, wait for the TFT to try to connect, and then I choose "cancel". Now I have to do this every time I stop for gas, for a break, for lunch, or to take a picture. What a pain in the ass! With my Garmin XT installed, all I should have to do is start the engine and ride off.

BTW - the suggestions about an Android - wouldn't that require the monthly expense of a plan?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
BTW - the suggestions about an Android - wouldn't that require the monthly expense of a plan?
Not necessarily, the bike phone is perfectly happy with only Wi-Fi and you can Bluetooth your headset to your personal phone on a second phone connection to make and receive calls.

You might loose traffic info, again someone suggested piggy backing the bike phone to a personal Wi-Fi hotspot to let the bike phone access the internet. Don't forget an Android phone can hold two Wi-Fi connections, Wi-Fi Direct and Wi-Fi hotspot.

Ref your flashing map symbol, as we discussed before its because you have your phone connected to the TFT on Bluetooth to get phone and non map directions and the TFT is trying to start Map Mode on Wi-Fi.

·
Premium Member
2022 K1600 GT
77 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Ref your flashing map symbol, as we discussed before its because you have your phone connected to the TFT on Bluetooth to get phone and non map directions and the TFT is trying to start Map Mode on Wi-Fi.
" and the TFT is trying to start Map Mode on Wi-Fi." ok BMW, give me an opportunity to turn this off. Are you suggesting that it is not possible to put this feature in?

·
Palm tree driver
K1600GT MY2023
1,757 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
40,000km
The new 1600’s cubbyhole has fan coiling, to relieve that problem.

it is rare to hit 40 degrees, so I can live with that challenge, at least for now. The phone seems happy enough in my tank bag.

The only problem I have to fix, is the corruption of the signal between the phone in the cubbyhole and the TFT screen. When the phone is in the cubbyhole, the signal is corrupted. When it sits in my tank bag, it is not corrupted. It’s that simple.
And what a noisy fan it is; I can hear it when stopped through my helmet AND earplugs!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
" and the TFT is trying to start Map Mode on Wi-Fi." ok BMW, give me an opportunity to turn this off. Are you suggesting that it is not possible to put this feature in?
I am pretty sure it is possible, but I doubt they will do it. What you have is a sort of "half way house setup" in that you are happy for the BMW App to be active and give you voice and Bluetooth directions, but you don't want/need the map to be displayed that would be an uncommon way of working with it.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts

What a mess.
Exactly what I'd like it to do. Additionally, that would still record the ride data. But not try to own the phone with the map/wifi part of the phone app.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts