BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
My .02 on going from 21RT Apple, then Android, then 22GT.

The inductive charger could never get ahead with these larger mobile devices, it was always best to start off topped up. I think the battery compartment got too hot for wireless charging and the charger on my devices would come out of quick wireless charging.

I became so frustrated with Cuppertino and the TFT I switched to the S21 Ultra. To fit the RT I had to remove the device from the charging box that holds the smart phone in place. However, the TFT has run without a hiccup since swapping to the Samsung.

The S21 Ultra, slightly larger than the newer S22, barely fits in the GT dash. I bought a 6" angled USB-C cable and it works as designed. I can drop the phone in at 20% and expect to be near 100% within half a tank.

·
Premium Member
2022 K1600 GT
77 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Exactly what I'd like it to do. Additionally, that would still record the ride data. But not try to own the phone with the map/wifi part of the phone app.
Yes, that's what I want. Record ride data - yes. Map Mode - no.

But there is no way for me to tell the TFT not to ask for Map Mode. And once it asks, it expects an answer!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Geez I am glad I got one of the last k1600gt 2021 in april 2021.
The add claims the new TFT has built in nav,
Which is bulls$&t unless you link your phone.
Bad and miss direction advertising.👎.
I can buy a $2 scooter and duct tape my android phone to the handle bars,done I have the latest and more expensive navman.🙄

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just dont get it, a new more expensive model comes out which in my opinion,
If I bought an old Gtho ford then bought an android 10” tablet with GPS and OBD2 ( Although it didnt exist back then) for $300 bucks on ebay.( and the actual speed would be more precise.)
Stick it in front if my steering wheel,
I would have more info on what I am doing
50 years ago than a new motorcycle today.
WTF…$$$$$
(Not to mention all the additional APPs I would have…🤪

·
Palm tree driver
K1600GT MY2023
1,766 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
40,000km
I mentioned before the ‘cooling’ fan for the phone box is noisy, but it also runs with the ignition off until the temperature gets below whatever parameters are set. And on a hot day in the sun that can be forever!!!

I took to opening the cover to the phonebox today and then switching off, at least that lets the heat out quicker but from the sound of the fan it appears to be pumping air into the box from an area under the dash. The area where hot air arises from the radiator…….. 🤔🤪🙊

·
Registered
2022 K1600GT
108 Posts
I know we're having fun bashing the new design, but I love my '22 GT and the new TFT. I wouldn't want to purchase the older style clocks, I think the new design is better even with the shortcomings. If I bought an older gen, I would want to retrofit my Zumo XT into it anyways, so what difference does it make? The navigation actually works fine for point A to Point B. Yeah it sucks compared to Garmin, but it's not that bad. My Android works fine with it. The navigation and phone cubby are not a point of contention for me, I don't use either!

All that said, I'm sure the cubby and Nav will get updated and I'll still want to stick a Garmin on it.

·
Palm tree driver
K1600GT MY2023
1,766 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
40,000km
A better look at the phonebox and it seems the fan is sucking air through the storage area, not blowing it, hence the increased noise when the lid is closed as it is sealed against rain, etc. How is cooling air meant to get pulled through quietly, for goodness sake? 🤔🤪

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have taken up the cudgel with BMW over the dreadful problems I have encountered with 2022 model 1600 GT and BMW’s new arrangement vis-a-vis smart phones, the bike’s cubbyhole (where the GPS device used to sit), the problems of integration between the phone running the Connected navigation app and what is displayed in the TFT screen. It really is a disaster. If anyone is interested, see here: New big TFT screen 1600 - Phone cubbyhole thing
Ran across this a couple of days ago. Sounds like BMW just can’t make anybody happy,

·
Registered
2022 K1600GT
9 Posts
My two cents, I find the phone cubby a bit fiddly when connecting and inserting a phone into the space. After a half dozen times I managed to figure it out but a better design (and a less troublesome cord) might be a slot where you simply slide the phone in that has a power jack already built in...phone goes in and slides onto the power jack. And obviously, a slot large enough to accommodate larger phones.

Others have mentioned using a second phone. I had an old iPhone 6s laying around so I re-tasked it as my dedicated bike nav. It stays in the cubby, and the only time I take it out is to activate the BMW connected app and enter my destination. And since the phone GPS system doesn't require a cellular connection, I don't have to pay for a cell subscription. My experiences with connectivity have been pretty good and consistent. It only takes maybe 30 seconds for the phone to interface with the TFT screen and my helmet.

The only downside to this arrangement is that I can't use the phone for calls. For phone calls I have to carry my activated iPhone X in my jacket pocket, which means I can't really talk unless I've pulled over to use it. I suppose I could mount it to some sort of Ram ball affair on the handle bar but I don't think my helmet allows for two bluetooth connections -- one for the 6s nav prompts and one for the iPhone X phone calls. OTOH, I don't have to fish out the 6s from the cubby to take with me when I stop to eat, etc because my X is already in my pocket.

·
Registered
2022 BMW K1600 GTL Gravity Blue Metallic
1,293 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised to find that my iPhone 14 Pro Max with the 6.7” screen fits in my ‘22 GTL’s phone cubby, albeit without a case.

I know some have found the cubby a bit fiddly, but I found that moving the phone all the way to the left (looking towards the front) solves the fiddly issue for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Instant fix for all these issues,
Hot glue gun, tradie tough waterproof 12” microsoft tablet with obde software and sim card.Plug into side socket for instant charging.
Done all the apps you want, speedo app for the vision impaired, maps including satellite, even watch a movie while riding.
All this for less than the extra BMW charge for there idea of technology upgrade.🤪

·
Premium Member
2022 K1600 GT
77 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Yes, that's what I want. Record ride data - yes. Map Mode - no.

But there is no way for me to tell the TFT not to ask for Map Mode. And once it asks, it expects an answer!
I entered a tech question in the Connected app about Map Mode and Lean Angle availability. The short answer is that the TFT's attempt to get into Map Mode cannot be turned off. And that Lean Angle viewing is not available on the GT because it is a touring bike, not a sport bike.

It appears as though the majority of us have to make a choice, a compromise, on how we use the large BMW TFT. My compromise is: use a Zumo XT and don't turn on the Connected App. Plusses: I have a touch screen navigation while riding, I can start the engine and go, I don't have a flashing icon on the TFT asking to connect the phone and the TFT, I don't have to change anything about how I use my iPhone, I have actual MPH and elevation reading. Minuses: I don't have MPH indication on the TFT but I have it on the GPS, I don't have ride data like lean angle.

I don't have audio in my helmet, I want quiet, I would not know about plusses and minuses related to that.

I think the reason there are so many complaints in threads like this is because of compromises about basic things.

BMW, do not make me change how I use my iPhone. Including, don't make me take the phone out of the case so that it fits in the cubby compartment.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I entered a tech question in the Connected app about Map Mode and Lean Angle availability. The short answer is that the TFT's attempt to get into Map Mode cannot be turned off. And that Lean Angle viewing is not available on the GT because it is a touring bike, not a sport bike.
Lean angle shows for my 2022 K1600 GTL.

·
Premium Member
2022 K1600 GT
77 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Lean angle shows for my 2022 K1600 GTL.
Please tell me where. In my GT it only shows on the Connected app after a ride, it does not show on the TFT while riding, but my least annoying scenario would leave the Connected app turned off. My 2020 R1250 RS can show the lean angle on the TFT.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Please tell me where. In my GT it only shows on the Connected app after a ride, it does not show on the TFT while riding, but my least annoying scenario would leave the Connected app turned off. My 2020 R1250 RS can show the lean angle on the TFT.
Sorry, yes it’s just in the Connected app.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
What I cannot accept is that putting the smart phone into the repurposed cubbyhole, then running the BMW Connected app, results in a corrupted (off position, off route) positional cursor being displayed on the bike’s brand new and much heralded large TFT screen. When I moved the phone from the cubbyhole and put it into my tank bag, the corruption stopped; everything was perfect. When I then moved the phone from my tank bag, back into the cubbyhole, the corruption started again.
I've just collected my bike from my dealer who has fitted a new TFT unit at BMW UK's behest in an effort to ameliorate a number of connectivity issues that I've had with my bike since day 1.

On the way home from the dealer's I had the map display running on the TFT (with the phone in the cubbyhole) and noticed that the cursor representing the bike's position would periodically move off position (into an adjacent field, for example), which is one fault that I never had happen with the original TFT.

My initial thought was that maybe the GPS satellite constellation was a bit unfavourable in my locale today, but then remembered this thread. I will monitor...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Try placing your phone in another way, the GPS antenna might be at the bottom of the pocket and causing interference.
I will definitely experiment, but had used the phone in that orientation with the Connected app running for a 2.5k mile trip to and around Italy earlier this year recording the rides and on reviewing them it hardly ever deviated from the physical position.

Today, with the new TFT fitted and the phone in exactly the same orientation I covered less than 15 miles and the recorded route is off from the roads I traveled for around 30% of the time. Could be coincidence, but I need to investigate further to find out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I've just collected my bike from my dealer who has fitted a new TFT unit at BMW UK's behest in an effort to ameliorate a number of connectivity issues that I've had with my bike since day 1.

On the way home from the dealer's I had the map display running on the TFT (with the phone in the cubbyhole) and noticed that the cursor representing the bike's position would periodically move off position (into an adjacent field, for example), which is one fault that I never had happen with the original TFT.

My initial thought was that maybe the GPS satellite constellation was a bit unfavourable in my locale today, but then remembered this thread. I will monitor...
The jumping of the cursor, mirrors my experience exactly. What you are now seeing is EXACTLY what I see.

Can you do me a favour and try putting your putting your phone into say a tank bag or pocket on your jacket. Then see if the cursor stays on the road more reliably. This is the only cure I found for the problem.

Thank you.

PS I have logged the problem with BMW UK and with BMW Motorrad, Park Lane, London (my dealership) which is owned directly by BMW Germany. They have promised me they are looking into it.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts