BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having serious doubts about picking up the 2021 K1600B I have a deposit on. I’ve owned 45 bikes, three of those being Beemers, and other than a final drive rebuild on my 1150RT, I’ve never had any issues. With the number of issues K1600 owners are having, I’m having some doubts about dropping $31,000 on a bike that may leave me stranded somewhere between Marfa and the southern border out in West Texas. The GoldWing, sport version Bagger might just be the better choice for less money. At least I know it will always start and never need a trans rebuild...until maybe 250,000 miles. I wish Lexus would build a Bagger.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If you're looking for more of a guarantee of reliability, then the Goldwing is a good choice. Only you can decide if giving up performance is worth additional peace of mind. Personally, I have no concerns about taking my GTL anywhere in the country. But that's just me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I’m having serious doubts about picking up the 2021 K1600B I have a deposit on. I’ve owned 45 bikes, three of those being Beemers, and other than a final drive rebuild on my 1150RT, I’ve never had any issues. With the number of issues K1600 owners are having, I’m having some doubts about dropping $31,000 on a bike that may leave me stranded somewhere between Marfa and the southern border out in West Texas. The GoldWing, sport version Bagger might just be the better choice for less money. At least I know it will always start and never need a trans rebuild...until maybe 250,000 miles. I wish Lexus would build a Bagger.
You're drinking too much of the Forum KoolAid. They are great bikes, perfect no (but what else is), but worth the fun of riding the K1600 platform.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Mr.Fix It
7,345 Posts
@TexasBackroads , don't know where you're getting your information WRT high failure rate of the K1600B. That's just plain wrong. There are 16000 members on this forum and a good percentage own the B/GA. The transmission issues have nothing to do with a failure, it's a recall from BMW to replace parts that "may" fail. As a result of the recall there have been a few issues with oil leaking and maybe a couple of parts failures, all corrected by BMW.

If you can, please point ANY failures that left riders stranded on the road, I missed those posts.

Duane

·
Registered
163 Posts
If performance handling and character aren’t that important and you looking for just a freeway flyer I guess a gold wing may be a choice. I’m not sure about the $31,000 price tag that sounds a bit high I think that could be shopped. Not knowing everything that the gold wing has for sure will be giving up an extra footing position unless they have addressed that with something on the outside of the engine never got comfortable on the Wing

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
After two 100% reliable ST1300s, I was also cautious about buying a K bike after reading about the issues here in respect to the 2018 model (waiting on parts, oil leak, etc). The deal-breaker on the Goldwing was the reduced luggage capacity. The 2014-16 models didn't have any issues that I could find here, so I bought a '16 with 1200 miles and have no regrets. Maybe you can find a good used 2014-16 with low miles and ease your way into the K bike without a large investment initially.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no issue spending the $31,000 here in Texas. 2021 Premium model B runs above $28,000 plus tax, title, license. The GoldWing Bagger starts at $23,000, and OTD for $3,000 less than the K1600B before taxes, etc. The new 2020/2021 GoldWing Bagger has excellent performance and is far from being a slow bike. I’m not sure I’d like the DCT tranny though. With an experienced rider, I’d put it up against any K1600B in the twisties. The K1600 is much faster and also goes through tires at an increased rate. There are downsides to both and a huge price difference. And, how often does the average rider go above 90-100mph and run that fast for hours? It’s rare if you’re the average rider. I’ve owned two Wings, a 2003 and a 2015. I rode them like I stole them and maintained both to an excess. Never a glitch (electronic or mechanical), never a miss-shift, never an oil leak, no engine or tranny issues, and no recalls. I just question why ‘awesome’ BMW can’t build a $30,000 bike with the same quality and reliability. It doesn’t make sense. I will probably keep my deposit where it is and get on a new Mars Red B as soon as the first one hits my dealer in Spring, Texas. We shall see. I’ll ride both again before I decide.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I had one of the first GTLs in the country and traded it in for one of the first GTL Exclusives. I loved everything about both bikes except for the selling dealer. I then traded in the Exclusive for a DCT Goldwing. Having owned both types of bikes that you are looking at the Wing is more reliable, I don't go through tires as often and service can be done at home. The K1600 engine is more powerful, the K1600 has sharper handling, the K1600 has more luggage capacity. I am very happy with the DCT an since I don't ride 2 up the luggage is not a concern.

·
Registered
402 Posts
On an owners forum you will typically hear of the things people are miffed with or trying to sort, but the vast majority of people don't have any issue which would leave them stranded. I think over all the K1600 range is tried and tested and has few issues in real life, if anything I'd say the Goldwing is more of the unknown element being so new and not having some of the mileages the K has?

PS - I bought another one in September and this never even crossed my mind 😎

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
When I was looking to replace my Concours with something more comfortable for long trips with my wife, I wanted a Goldwing. It was comfy, and I convinced myself that I could live with the downgrade in performance. Near the end of the process, I packed a concours bag liner with t-shirts and took it to the dealer to check the real-world saddlebag capacity. It wasn't even close. I wanted more luggage, but the GL bags are maybe a little more than half of the connie's. The dealer also had a GTL, and my test bag disappeared into the saddlebag without even pushing it. So began my journey of learning more about the K1600 and gradually changing my mind.

Personally, I believe that Honda makes a more reliable machine than BMW - that goes for cars and bikes. Even so, I believe that the probability of the K1600 leaving me stranded is remote. Comparing that risk to the sure thing of the GL's sedate (Comparably) performance, and downright meager luggage capacity, there's no contest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a loaded B with no gps last week and I have to say the dealer your working with is priced quit a bit higher than what I paid for mine. Pretty much the same price the stock Honda Goldwing DTC is priced at on Honda’s site.

I owned and traveled extensively on a goldwing years back and I will say it was reliable, but so were all the others bikes I’ve had over the years as I think this will be also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just bought my first BMW (K1600B) and sold a 2014 Valkyrie. I have had a lot of bikes as well. I am nervous about the bikes reliability but have not experienced any problems myself. The riding experience how ever is superior to the Honda offering in every way. I think if you are a riders rider you will love the bike, don't know any other way to explain it. The B is like riding a sport bike cruiser "It is the most fun riding experience of any bike I've owned and I have owned a lot". The motor combined with quick shift is the best thing ever. I would also agree with a little look around you could get a bike in the mid 20's easy. If how ever reliability is your number one I would buy the Honda. I still own one and every Honda I have had has been with out question reliable if nothing else. Good luck with your quest

·
Registered
883 Posts
With an experienced rider, I’d put it up against any K1600B in the twisties. The K1600 is much faster and also goes through tires at an increased rate. There are downsides to both and a huge price difference. And, how often does the average rider go above 90-100mph and run that fast for hours? It’s rare if you’re the average rider.
The Wing has lower ground clearance than a K16. You will scrape where the K16 will be flowing through the curve. So if you ride aggressively along side a K16, you'll have to slow where he won't. The average K16 rider probably doesn't go above 90-100mph and run that fast for hours. But some of us do. There are roads in Utah and Colorado that beg to test out the higher limits of a K16. It's a high you'll never experience if you settle for a Wing.

Never a glitch (electronic or mechanical), never a miss-shift, never an oil leak, no engine or tranny issues, and no recalls. I just question why ‘awesome’ BMW can’t build a $30,000 bike with the same quality and reliability. It doesn’t make sense. I will probably keep my deposit where it is and get on a new Mars Red B as soon as the first one hits my dealer in Spring, Texas. We shall see. I’ll ride both again before I decide.
For better or worse, BMW builds bikes that incorporate new performance technology. The flip side is that this new stuff sometimes has bugs. Adding reverse and shift assist (in years 2017+) has caused problems in some bikes. But most are problem free.

If you consider yourself an "average rider", maybe the K16 isn't for you. If I didn't enjoy pushing my GTL to it's upper extremes, I'd probably consider something different.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am on my 3rd K1600. I have owned a 2016GT, 2018B and now a 2019GT for a combined 40,000 miles. I had very few issues on them. The 16, I had a waterpump that weekend, and was replaced under warranty. My 2018 had a shift assist issue, which I handled myself by cleaning the ECU connectors and never had another issue for th 20k miles I had it. Now, I have the 19GT which has been flawless. You mostly only will hear from people with issues, not the people who had not had any problems. BTW, I test rode a dct 2018 wing, and was not impressed. It was nowhere close to the power of the K, and the luggage capacity was meager, in comparison.

·
Upside Down
1,629 Posts
TexasBackroads, Buy what you want and ride what you feel is best for you is the best advice. No one will blame you for riding and wanting a different brand for whatever reason you may have. Enjoy whichever bike you go with and good luck. I am not brand loyal by any means, I have owned a lot of BMW`s Kawasaki`s, Honda`s and 2 Indian`s so if you feel the Honda is the bike for you go with you gut feelings and be safe above all enjoy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In reading your second post it appears you have already made your choice. I've also had over 45 bikes but that doesn't matter one bit, it's experience and miles on the road that count. I've put lots of miles on Wings older and the latest and I strongly disagree with your thinking that they will handle the same in the twisties with an experienced rider. While I'm not a racer just a spirited rider, have done both and they are not even close. The Wing is a touring machine that is a mile eater no argument there, the K1600 is a sports touring delight period. If I did numerous long trips two up I would go with the Wing, but for my kind of driving it's the K bike for sure.

·
Registered
883 Posts
In reading your second post it appears you have already made your choice. I've also had over 45 bikes but that doesn't matter one bit, it's experience and miles on the road that count. I've put lots of miles on Wings older and the latest and I strongly disagree with your thinking that they will handle the same in the twisties with an experienced rider. While I'm not a racer just a spirited rider, have done both and they are not even close. The Wing is a touring machine that is a mile eater no argument there, the K1600 is a sports touring delight period. If I did numerous long trips two up I would go with the Wing, but for my kind of driving it's the K bike for sure.
The "new" Wing is actually more capable than you might think. But as I mentioned previously, the Wing suffers from having lower ground clearance. When I was going toe-to-toe with a Wing going south on Arizona Hwy 191, the curve scraping really limited his speed. And this Wing driver was very good. (y)

·
Texas Thorn
2,353 Posts
The "new" Wing is actually more capable than you might think. But as I mentioned previously, the Wing suffers from having lower ground clearance. When I was going toe-to-toe with a Wing going south on Arizona Hwy 191, the curve scraping really limited his speed. And this Wing driver was very good. (y)
Ah, Jerry? Yes he can ride that wing!

·
Registered
260 Posts
the new Gold Wing has a nice ride...... other than that you have no storage in cheap low grade top case and bags.... then there is the stereo which is worse than the k1600s..just change it to the k16gtl and be done with it....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts