BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have no issue spending the $31,000 here in Texas. 2021 Premium model B runs above $28,000 plus tax, title, license. The GoldWing Bagger starts at $23,000, and OTD for $3,000 less than the K1600B before taxes, etc. The new 2020/2021 GoldWing Bagger has excellent performance and is far from being a slow bike. I’m not sure I’d like the DCT tranny though. With an experienced rider, I’d put it up against any K1600B in the twisties. The K1600 is much faster and also goes through tires at an increased rate. There are downsides to both and a huge price difference. And, how often does the average rider go above 90-100mph and run that fast for hours? It’s rare if you’re the average rider. I’ve owned two Wings, a 2003 and a 2015. I rode them like I stole them and maintained both to an excess. Never a glitch (electronic or mechanical), never a miss-shift, never an oil leak, no engine or tranny issues, and no recalls. I just question why ‘awesome’ BMW can’t build a $30,000 bike with the same quality and reliability. It doesn’t make sense. I will probably keep my deposit where it is and get on a new Mars Red B as soon as the first one hits my dealer in Spring, Texas. We shall see. I’ll ride both again before I decide.
Go over to the Goldwing forum and you can read about guys bitching about their rides over there too. I came from a GW to a GA......the performance increase is worth the price of admission alone. Shop around for a better deal and oh yea....get a Bren tune....you will be happy.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Agree with B407driver# that if you go to the wing forum you will see just as much complaining as you see here or for that matter any specific vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle etc) forum. Sounds like from a couple of your comments you are not a overly aggressive rider (certainly nothing wrong with that!) so as others have said the biggest advantage of the BMW might not be that big of a deal for you. Comparing the BMW to the Honda is very similar in motorcycles as it is in cars, Honda (or Toyota/Lexus) are crazy reliable and great basic transportation. BMW is just not that kind of vehicle though for being a performance machine very reliable. When I bought my 19 GA I did test ride the Wing and I thought it was a very nice machine and if I was getting a bike to tour on the freeways I would have considered it but my style is more backroads and mountains pushing the bike to the end of my talent and its abilities (definitely run out of talent long before bikes abilities..) so was no comparison for me.
In my opinion both bikes appeal to different riding style so you should match bike to whatever yours is. Again, just my opinion!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have never owned a Honda nor a BMW motorcycle. I was originally looking at a new 2018 Goldwing about a month-and-a-half ago and actually made a two-hour trip to go look at 1 as I was almost sure I was going to get it after doing my homework, however I was disappointed with the seat comfort and positioning as it basically seemed to funnel me into one position and on top of that it didn't have the floorboards that the B has. That was it for the Goldwing and I was pretty upset because I really liked the bike, but after coming off a Concours, I was going for #1 comfort, and #2 performance. At that point in time I was not even aware of K 1600 B and as soon as I started doing some comparison factors as far as weight (BMW is much lighter), seat height, features, Etc. I plunked down $500 deposit to get one delivered from one dealer to another one that was close to me and as soon as I sat on it it was a no-brainer. What a great bike
Good luck with whatever you get.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
All good info for the most part here for the OP. Unfortunately, no one person can tell you what is best for YOU! Taking test rides is the only thing that will help you with your decision. Let's face it, making a $30,000.00 mistake can be devastating to your wallet and if you aren't happy with the bike you bought no amount of riding time will fix that. Certainly you can ask for opinions and Lord knows you will get that here. A good and decent dealer will/should understand that one or two test rides may not be enough to convince you if you will like a certain motorcycle. When I bought my 2018 GTL I took four test rides on GT's and GTL's before I made my mind up. The dealer guys never batted an eye when I asked for another test ride. I have not ridden a new Gold Wing yet, but it is certainly on my list. I think the DCT Goldwing is quite an offering and I have yet to find one single owner of a DCT out on the road that didn't like it. And without a doubt ALL motorcycles have issues and most owners for lack of desire to look foolish will say their bike is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

My riding styles have changed over time and I no longer feel a misguided macho need to go triple digit speed anymore. Speed not only kills, but it gets you into other problems as well. A more troublesome issue for me right now is the lack of BMW dealerships in my area. As it is currently, I have to travel almost an hour and a half to get to the nearest BMW dealer. At the end of this year that will change to an almost three hour one way trip when the dealership I go to now closes their doors. So I can easily assume I will need to kill most of a day just getting to and from a BMW dealership that I have no knowledge of, or repour with. This is not what I would call an ideal situation, especially if I don't like the place. How many locales lose not one, but two BMW dealerships in less than a year? Crazy times for sure. I don't care how much I like a BMW I am not going to waste countless hours getting to a dealership. Think about this....what if I have to leave my GTL at the dealership overnight and they don't supply loaners? Do I stay in a motel or tie someone else up for the day giving me a ride home? What about getting back to the dealership to pick my bike up? Sorry, but BMW sure seems to be dropping the ball on dealership availability to customers. Not surprisingly I have three Honda dealers all within an hour of where I live. So in the end only you and you alone can decide which bike is right for you after weighing all the options.. Good luck on your decision making!
Rick H.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I’m having serious doubts about picking up the 2021 K1600B I have a deposit on. I’ve owned 45 bikes, three of those being Beemers, and other than a final drive rebuild on my 1150RT, I’ve never had any issues. With the number of issues K1600 owners are having, I’m having some doubts about dropping $31,000 on a bike that may leave me stranded somewhere between Marfa and the southern border out in West Texas. The GoldWing, sport version Bagger might just be the better choice for less money. At least I know it will always start and never need a trans rebuild...until maybe 250,000 miles. I wish Lexus would build a Bagger.
I traded my K1600 GTL in the spring of 2019 for a new Wing. I really like the Wing but in a year or so, I plan to go back to a K1600, The BMW is just plain more fun to ride......I had 52,000 miles on the K1600 with only a water pump problem.

·
Registered
K1600 GA, R1200GSA LC, R ninet, C650GT, Suzuki Burgman650, Yamaha Super tenere1200, Honda Monkey.
77 Posts
if you want to buy the bike soon, GW may be a safer option.. but if you wait for another year K's bike might has the facelift (look like RT)

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I'm not sure why you posted in this forum. It doesn't sound like you're looking for advice at all and are just here to bag on the unreliability and cost of BMW motorcycles. If that's the case then you should have just titled your post "hey, I'm just here to say bad things about the bikes you all ride". At least then you would be honest.

I ride on west Texas backroads all the time (I'm in the San Antonio area) and have never been stranded. But I'm only one rider. I'm quite sure that if you look you'll find another rider who has been stranded and you can use that as your data point.

The Gold Wing is a nice bike and I'm also sure that if you post there you'll see that they aren't perpetual motion machines either.

Enjoy whatever it is you end up buying (or not buying...nobody really cares).

james

·
Registered
403 Posts
I tried the new wing and GA back to back on the same roads on the same day. I bottomed the wing on a couple of bumps and corners which really put me off as I was one up and not going fast, and I'm not a quick rider any more, those days have gone. The luggage is probably about the same as the GA, but well less than the GTL I had when doing the testing. I just didn't think I was old enough for the wing if that makes sense, and I mean in spirit, not in years of age.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I tried the new wing and GA back to back on the same roads on the same day. I bottomed the wing on a couple of bumps and corners which really put me off as I was one up and not going fast, and I'm not a quick rider any more, those days have gone. The luggage is probably about the same as the GA, but well less than the GTL I had when doing the testing. I just didn't think I was old enough for the wing if that makes sense, and I mean in spirit, not in years of age.
Luggage capacity is one of the major reasons I did not opt for the new Wing.....you cannot fit two full face helmets in the trunk, nor will they fit in a saddlebag. I brought my Shoei and my wife's Arai to the dealer and test fit them in both bikes. No matter which way I tried, you could not get both in the trunk of the Wing. I could easily fit both in the trunk of the GA and with some finesse, I could get one helmet in the saddlebag of the BMW. Even on the previous generation Wing (I had a 2010), the top of the trunk tapered inward, so it took a bit of doing to get both helmets in, but it was doable. Believe it or not, Harley has the best luggage in the business.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Luggage capacity is one of the major reasons I did not opt for the new Wing.....you cannot fit two full face helmets in the trunk, nor will they fit in a saddlebag. I brought my Shoei and my wife's Arai to the dealer and test fit them in both bikes. No matter which way I tried, you could not get both in the trunk of the Wing. I could easily fit both in the trunk of the GA and with some finesse, I could get one helmet in the saddlebag of the BMW. Even on the previous generation Wing (I had a 2010), the top of the trunk tapered inward, so it took a bit of doing to get both helmets in, but it was doable. Believe it or not, Harley has the best luggage in the business.
It baffles me how the likes of Honda and BMW don't see storage of helmets as an issue but all us riders do? Perhaps it's more of a UK thing as we mostly wear full face helmets?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can understand your dilemma.. be smart, buy a used one for much much less (like I did) and forgo the depreciation. soon you will find an excitement and joy that my goldwing lacked (and I loved that bird). get a bike with better farkles that buffer the quirks and realize you may never find this bikes limits. be safe and enjoy whichever you choose..

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
It baffles me how the likes of Honda and BMW don't see storage of helmets as an issue but all us riders do? Perhaps it's more of a UK thing as we mostly wear full face helmets?
I ride with a full face and helmet storage isn't something that I consider at all. I'm used to sportbikes where you either take your helmet with you or leave it on the bike. If I'm traveling then I don't have room to put the helmet in the bags because I have them full of gear. If I'm just day riding then the helmet rarely comes off. I guess it makes sense if you ride to a destination then hang out at that destination for a while. But I've never done that in my 30 years of riding. Go figure.

james

·
Registered
403 Posts
I ride with a full face and helmet storage isn't something that I consider at all. I'm used to sportbikes where you either take your helmet with you or leave it on the bike. If I'm traveling then I don't have room to put the helmet in the bags because I have them full of gear. If I'm just day riding then the helmet rarely comes off. I guess it makes sense if you ride to a destination then hang out at that destination for a while. But I've never done that in my 30 years of riding. Go figure.

james
Which I understand - but your on a touring bike forum, not a sports bike one :rolleyes:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Which I understand - but your on a touring bike forum, not a sports bike one :rolleyes:
Actually, James has a point. I tour -- a lot. Even when there is room (rarely), I almost never lock my helmet in a carrier. It's no big deal to carry it with me in a restaurant, and that's the only time I'd really consider locking it up. The bottom line is that it isn't a huge consideration.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm not sure why you posted in this forum. It doesn't sound like you're looking for advice at all and are just here to bag on the unreliability and cost of BMW motorcycles. If that's the case then you should have just titled your post "hey, I'm just here to say bad things about the bikes you all ride". At least then you would be honest.

I ride on west Texas backroads all the time (I'm in the San Antonio area) and have never been stranded. But I'm only one rider. I'm quite sure that if you look you'll find another rider who has been stranded and you can use that as your data point.

The Gold Wing is a nice bike and I'm also sure that if you post there you'll see that they aren't perpetual motion machines either.

james

james
Ouch

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
97 Posts
...It's no big deal to carry it with me in a restaurant, and that's the only time I'd really consider locking it up....
I saw somewhere someone made bar end helmet locks that replace the existing bar ends. I looked at the website and they seem well made and look essentially the same as the OEM bar ends — I just didn’t like the stupid price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have Lidlox bar end helmet locks on a number of my bikes and they are great for my needs. The only drawback is that the helmets hang upside down and can fill with rain or some drunk coming out of a bar and puking in your helmet... Fortunately it hasn't happened to me yet though!

One thing that really chaps my ass is that I only paid $80 for both locks for my 2020 Rocket 3 GT and most of my other bikes. It costs far more for BMWs ($120) because they assume we have the bucks... (n)

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Actually, James has a point. I tour -- a lot. Even when there is room (rarely), I almost never lock my helmet in a carrier. It's no big deal to carry it with me in a restaurant, and that's the only time I'd really consider locking it up. The bottom line is that it isn't a huge consideration.
And that's exactly my point. I never consider putting my helmet in my bag even if they fit because they are usually full of my gear. When they aren't full of gear then I'm usually on a day ride and my helmet is on my head. I don't ride the bike around town at all or to lunch/dinner where I would need to stow my helmet.

james

21 - 40 of 57 Posts