BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having serious doubts about picking up the 2021 K1600B I have a deposit on. I’ve owned 45 bikes, three of those being Beemers, and other than a final drive rebuild on my 1150RT, I’ve never had any issues. With the number of issues K1600 owners are having, I’m having some doubts about dropping $31,000 on a bike that may leave me stranded somewhere between Marfa and the southern border out in West Texas. The GoldWing, sport version Bagger might just be the better choice for less money. At least I know it will always start and never need a trans rebuild...until maybe 250,000 miles. I wish Lexus would build a Bagger.
I have a 2013 GTL and it has never let me down. Dealer maintenance and a tire eater as it likes to go and corner isn’t cheap. I would check the cost of ownership of both if you are happy with either platform. For me the L is not the sportiest but performance means more to me than bagger lookalikes that are short on performance.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I’m having serious doubts about picking up the 2021 K1600B I have a deposit on. I’ve owned 45 bikes, three of those being Beemers, and other than a final drive rebuild on my 1150RT, I’ve never had any issues. With the number of issues K1600 owners are having, I’m having some doubts about dropping $31,000 on a bike that may leave me stranded somewhere between Marfa and the southern border out in West Texas. The GoldWing, sport version Bagger might just be the better choice for less money. At least I know it will always start and never need a trans rebuild...until maybe 250,000 miles. I wish Lexus would build a Bagger.
[/QUOTE

I would go for the Goldwing if I had to spend 31K.

My criteria was a smooth ride, and low investment, so I bought a 3 year old K with 6000 miles on it for 13000. No way could I get a newer harley or Goldwing for that, plus I wanted a sport tourer anyway.

But, if I spent most of my time riding in Germany, or rode hard and competitive in the USA, the K1600 will take them all. For example, on the Autobahn at 100+ mph racing with Ferraris and Porsches for left lane position, weaving in an out of lanes with 200mph Lambos blinking the headights to move over, I would definitely want the K. The USA at 55 or even 80 with well behaved citizens? Might as well get comfortable and enjoy the scenery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you're looking for more of a guarantee of reliability, then the Goldwing is a good choice. Only you can decide if giving up performance is worth additional peace of mind. Personally, I have no concerns about taking my GTL anywhere in the country. But that's just me.
I used to feel the same way as you did with my GTL until the engine blew up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a 2012 GTL which I traded about 6 months ago on the Goldwing DCT Tour Airbag. No regrets. While the GTL had an agricultural gearbox, it never failed. I am a huge fan of the BMW brand had zero issues did about 300000km :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have no issue spending the $31,000 here in Texas. 2021 Premium model B runs above $28,000 plus tax, title, license. The GoldWing Bagger starts at $23,000, and OTD for $3,000 less than the K1600B before taxes, etc. The new 2020/2021 GoldWing Bagger has excellent performance and is far from being a slow bike. I’m not sure I’d like the DCT tranny though. With an experienced rider, I’d put it up against any K1600B in the twisties. The K1600 is much faster and also goes through tires at an increased rate. There are downsides to both and a huge price difference. And, how often does the average rider go above 90-100mph and run that fast for hours? It’s rare if you’re the average rider. I’ve owned two Wings, a 2003 and a 2015. I rode them like I stole them and maintained both to an excess. Never a glitch (electronic or mechanical), never a miss-shift, never an oil leak, no engine or tranny issues, and no recalls. I just question why ‘awesome’ BMW can’t build a $30,000 bike with the same quality and reliability. It doesn’t make sense. I will probably keep my deposit where it is and get on a new Mars Red B as soon as the first one hits my dealer in Spring, Texas. We shall see. I’ll ride both again before I decide.
You mentioned the DCT gearbox on the Goldwing. I am 66 years old so change is an effort. Anyhow... I made the plunge to the DCT with fingers crossed. My word...what can I say... Im blown away... Im convinced DCT will be the future must have.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I don't get these Wing vs. K16 threads. They are not an apples-to-apples comparison. The Wing is a Tourer, and the K16 is a Sport Tourer. There is overlap between the bikes, but at the fringes, they're very different machines.

The only real question is what kind of riding do you want to satisfy? If you enjoy ripping through mountain highways with 100+ mph straights, plus endless curves and hairpins without worrying about scraping, the K16 is your bike. The Wing (I don't care what year) is going to be a big compromise. On the other hand, if you want more of a rolling couch experience on the Interstates, the Wing is probably a better choice. The K16 is more than capable of comfortably doing 800+ mile days (I've done several), but the Wing (in all the reviews I've read) is marginally more stable in that environment.
It shouldn't be that difficult a decision if you're honest with yourself on how you ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lot's of good commentary and detail here, but no mention of appearance and styling. While those factors are clearly subjective, both the K1600BGA and GTL look way cooler than the GW...just my opinion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2013 GTL which I bought used in 2018 and put 18,000 miles in 2 seasons, mostly 2 up. Previous owner had a few recalls done and the shocks went bad, so a new Wilbers setup was installed before I purchased it, which is brilliant. I replaced the ball joints, but other than that just regular maintenance and wear items. The expensive part is the valve check labor, but they are always in spec (I've read most here never have valves clearances go off) so I am considering skipping one year. It has 48,000 miles on the clock, and I hope to keep it for many years, hopefully reach 100,000 miles. Just beware k1600s eat tires, and their hunger is proportional to the intensity of right wrist twisting...
I think the carrying capacity of the GTL side bags (which are removable when you arrive at your destination!) and the big trunk are best in class. If you can handle the high center of gravity of a loaded GTL, it is a better tourer vs the GA or the Goldwing. The GT might be sportier because of the rider triangle and maybe the choice for some solo riders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mr Texas I bought a 2017 new . It did not take long 6k problems started with no reason the bike would go into caution mode 85 mph middle Lane I95 this happened about 8x.since it did not show a code BMW "can't find anything wrong" . Key fob POS left me stranded middle of the plains Wyoming. 15k later tps needed replacing 200.00 for the sensor r and r tire and pairing 375.00 later. Engine code needed new set wire's/coils $2000.00 ,39k BMW that's normal they get hot,bull __. 5k later throttle body $750. Plus labor to take off all the plastic total it was almost 1300.00. I have just become accustomed to having dashboard look like Xmas tree. Bottom. Line buy anything but BMW. There customer support is zero. The idea of buying German quality those days are gone. Once the warranty gone get rid of it. P.s. 52k shock code came on that's a 3000.00 dollar for the pair. Get the Honda.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So you joined two months ago and this is your first post, knocking BMW. If you bought it new and the problems started as you said “it didn’t take long” why didn’t the warranty cover your problems With only 6,000 miles? Do you still have the bike?
Mr Texas I bought a 2017 new . It did not take long 6k problems started with no reason the bike would go into caution mode 85 mph middle Lane I95 this happened about 8x.since it did not show a code BMW "can't find anything wrong" . Key fob POS left me stranded middle of the plains Wyoming. 15k later tps needed replacing 200.00 for the sensor r and r tire and pairing 375.00 later. Engine code needed new set wire's/coils $2000.00 ,39k BMW that's normal they get hot,bull __. 5k later throttle body $750. Plus labor to take off all the plastic total it was almost 1300.00. I have just become accustomed to having dashboard look like Xmas tree. Bottom. Line buy anything but BMW. There customer support is zero. The idea of buying German quality those days are gone. Once the warranty gone get rid of it. P.s. 52k shock code came on that's a 3000.00 dollar for the pair. Get the Honda.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Where’s my BS flag?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I owned a 2018 Goldwing, the new one hasn’t changed much, and I just bought a new GA. So far here are my thoughts. I am new here and my thoughts aren’t skewed yet because I just joined and haven’t ridden on the BMW for long.
  • The Goldwing seems more stable at higher speeds. It feels heavier so maybe that’s why. The GA seems really light and speedy, which probably lends itself to being less stable at highway speeds
  • The tech on the Goldwing is better. If you are I to iPhones and the latest tech, the Goldwing is better. It has CarPlay and allows a phone to be paired up as well as headsets for the driver and passenger.
  • The storage on the Goldwing is cheap feeling and the little compartment on it on the top is very hard to open and is really flimsy.
  • The BMW seems to sit higher and more comfortably. My wife said the BMW is more comfortable than the GW was.
  • The foot boards on the GA were a bit selling point for me. I am 6’2” and the Goldwing felt really cramped. All the highway pegs for the GW move them out past the engine which is too spread eagle for me whereas the GA has the boards and they are super comfortable so far.
  • Mounting stuff to the handlebars of the GA will be easier, but I believe the dealership switched out the bars to the rounded ones
  • The GW I had was a DCT and I really liked that except it also shifted at weird spots sometimes. I like the shifting so far on the GA.
I could go on and on, but ultimately, you should test drive both as much as you can and pick whichever one speaks to you.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
  • The foot boards on the GA were a bit selling point for me. I am 6’2” and the Goldwing felt really cramped. All the highway pegs for the GW move them out past the engine which is too spread eagle for me whereas the GA has the boards and they are super comfortable so far.
The floorboards really are underrated for those of us who are tall. It gives me another option to put my feet and give my knees a break meaning that I can spend more time riding and less time having to get off and stretch.

james

·
Registered
877 Posts
I owned a 2018 Goldwing, the new one hasn’t changed much, and I just bought a new GA. So far here are my thoughts. I am new here and my thoughts aren’t skewed yet because I just joined and haven’t ridden on the BMW for long.
  • The Goldwing seems more stable at higher speeds. It feels heavier so maybe that’s why. The GA seems really light and speedy, which probably lends itself to being less stable at highway speeds
  • The tech on the Goldwing is better. If you are I to iPhones and the latest tech, the Goldwing is better. It has CarPlay and allows a phone to be paired up as well as headsets for the driver and passenger.
  • The storage on the Goldwing is cheap feeling and the little compartment on it on the top is very hard to open and is really flimsy.
  • The BMW seems to sit higher and more comfortably. My wife said the BMW is more comfortable than the GW was.
  • Mounting stuff to the handlebars of the GA will be easier, but I believe the dealership switched out the bars to the rounded ones
  • The GW I had was a DCT and I really liked that except it also shifted at weird spots sometimes. I like the shifting so far on the GA.
I could go on and on, but ultimately, you should test drive both as much as you can and pick whichever one speaks to you.
Nice summary. A few comments to the points you mentioned:

1) The GA is the least stable at speed of the four K16 models, which is why it's speed limited, so what you felt isn't surprising. Where the Goldwing is also speed limited, the GT/GTLs are still coming to life. I've cruised for hours at 90-100 mph, and my GTL has no issues of instability. The original K16s (GT/GTL) are solid at almost speed.

2) The sound system and Bluetooth on the K16s is definitely a weak spot. It's actually an embarrassment. But the good news is that you can ignore it. I haven't wasted any time trying to set it up. Get a good Cardo/Sena headset with a top of the line helmet and you're good to go. These headsets provide quality music from the phone (1 or 2 up), as well as managing phone calls and intercom to passenger. The only thing I have on my bike is the Nav VI for GPS navigation. I can't imagine "needing" anything else.

You'll find the right combination of stuff that feels right on your GA.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have both a GTL and a New Goldwing Tour. I have never been left stranded with my GTL. I really like them both for different reasons. BMW - Exciting to ride; amazing performance. Goldwing - feels like a stole my father's Cadillac; possibly better for 2-up riding. For what's worth, I have a lot more space on the GTL. Although it's hard to assess a new bike in a short ride, but maybe a test ride may help you.

Chuck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice summary. A few comments to the points you mentioned:

1) The GA is the least stable at speed of the four K16 models, which is why it's speed limited, so what you felt isn't surprising. Where the Goldwing is also speed limited, the GT/GTLs are still coming to life. I've cruised for hours at 90-100 mph, and my GTL has no issues of instability. The original K16s (GT/GTL) are solid at almost speed.

2) The sound system and Bluetooth on the K16s is definitely a weak spot. It's actually an embarrassment. But the good news is that you can ignore it. I haven't wasted any time trying to set it up. Get a good Cardo/Sena headset with a top of the line helmet and you're good to go. These headsets provide quality music from the phone (1 or 2 up), as well as managing phone calls and intercom to passenger. The only thing I have on my bike is the Nav VI for GPS navigation. I can't imagine "needing" anything else.

You'll find the right combination of stuff that feels right on your GA.
Nice points. Yea, have a Neotec II and have the built in comms. Need something like that when riding for sure. I actually wear noise cancelling, wireless earbuds most of the time so I can control how much road noise I hear. It works great but what I would still like is if the bike would let me move songs or see what’s playing at the least. I do have my iPhone mounted on the bars and can adjust the sound there, but with the Goldwing I could hook up the phone and put it in the bin and not touch it once while riding.

Oh yea, I test drove a GTL first and liked it a lot but I just felt the GA had more space for me to stretch out. I don’t see myself cruising over more than 80 maybe. Now on my Livewire I have taken it 5 miles over it’s limiter and go over 100 often.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts