BMW K1600 Forum banner

New 2021 K1600B or Goldwing Bagger

22K views 73 replies 48 participants last post by  djfalkenstein 
#1 ·
I’m having serious doubts about picking up the 2021 K1600B I have a deposit on. I’ve owned 45 bikes, three of those being Beemers, and other than a final drive rebuild on my 1150RT, I’ve never had any issues. With the number of issues K1600 owners are having, I’m having some doubts about dropping $31,000 on a bike that may leave me stranded somewhere between Marfa and the southern border out in West Texas. The GoldWing, sport version Bagger might just be the better choice for less money. At least I know it will always start and never need a trans rebuild...until maybe 250,000 miles. I wish Lexus would build a Bagger.

#41 ·
I have a 2013 GTL and it has never let me down. Dealer maintenance and a tire eater as it likes to go and corner isn’t cheap. I would check the cost of ownership of both if you are happy with either platform. For me the L is not the sportiest but performance means more to me than bagger lookalikes that are short on performance.

#42 · (Edited)
I’m having serious doubts about picking up the 2021 K1600B I have a deposit on. I’ve owned 45 bikes, three of those being Beemers, and other than a final drive rebuild on my 1150RT, I’ve never had any issues. With the number of issues K1600 owners are having, I’m having some doubts about dropping $31,000 on a bike that may leave me stranded somewhere between Marfa and the southern border out in West Texas. The GoldWing, sport version Bagger might just be the better choice for less money. At least I know it will always start and never need a trans rebuild...until maybe 250,000 miles. I wish Lexus would build a Bagger.
[/QUOTE

I would go for the Goldwing if I had to spend 31K.

My criteria was a smooth ride, and low investment, so I bought a 3 year old K with 6000 miles on it for 13000. No way could I get a newer harley or Goldwing for that, plus I wanted a sport tourer anyway.

But, if I spent most of my time riding in Germany, or rode hard and competitive in the USA, the K1600 will take them all. For example, on the Autobahn at 100+ mph racing with Ferraris and Porsches for left lane position, weaving in an out of lanes with 200mph Lambos blinking the headights to move over, I would definitely want the K. The USA at 55 or even 80 with well behaved citizens? Might as well get comfortable and enjoy the scenery.

#47 ·
I don't get these Wing vs. K16 threads. They are not an apples-to-apples comparison. The Wing is a Tourer, and the K16 is a Sport Tourer. There is overlap between the bikes, but at the fringes, they're very different machines.

The only real question is what kind of riding do you want to satisfy? If you enjoy ripping through mountain highways with 100+ mph straights, plus endless curves and hairpins without worrying about scraping, the K16 is your bike. The Wing (I don't care what year) is going to be a big compromise. On the other hand, if you want more of a rolling couch experience on the Interstates, the Wing is probably a better choice. The K16 is more than capable of comfortably doing 800+ mile days (I've done several), but the Wing (in all the reviews I've read) is marginally more stable in that environment.
It shouldn't be that difficult a decision if you're honest with yourself on how you ride.

#49 ·
I have a 2013 GTL which I bought used in 2018 and put 18,000 miles in 2 seasons, mostly 2 up. Previous owner had a few recalls done and the shocks went bad, so a new Wilbers setup was installed before I purchased it, which is brilliant. I replaced the ball joints, but other than that just regular maintenance and wear items. The expensive part is the valve check labor, but they are always in spec (I've read most here never have valves clearances go off) so I am considering skipping one year. It has 48,000 miles on the clock, and I hope to keep it for many years, hopefully reach 100,000 miles. Just beware k1600s eat tires, and their hunger is proportional to the intensity of right wrist twisting...
I think the carrying capacity of the GTL side bags (which are removable when you arrive at your destination!) and the big trunk are best in class. If you can handle the high center of gravity of a loaded GTL, it is a better tourer vs the GA or the Goldwing. The GT might be sportier because of the rider triangle and maybe the choice for some solo riders.

#50 ·
Mr Texas I bought a 2017 new . It did not take long 6k problems started with no reason the bike would go into caution mode 85 mph middle Lane I95 this happened about 8x.since it did not show a code BMW "can't find anything wrong" . Key fob POS left me stranded middle of the plains Wyoming. 15k later tps needed replacing 200.00 for the sensor r and r tire and pairing 375.00 later. Engine code needed new set wire's/coils $2000.00 ,39k BMW that's normal they get hot,bull __. 5k later throttle body $750. Plus labor to take off all the plastic total it was almost 1300.00. I have just become accustomed to having dashboard look like Xmas tree. Bottom. Line buy anything but BMW. There customer support is zero. The idea of buying German quality those days are gone. Once the warranty gone get rid of it. P.s. 52k shock code came on that's a 3000.00 dollar for the pair. Get the Honda.

#53 ·
I owned a 2018 Goldwing, the new one hasn’t changed much, and I just bought a new GA. So far here are my thoughts. I am new here and my thoughts aren’t skewed yet because I just joined and haven’t ridden on the BMW for long.
  • The Goldwing seems more stable at higher speeds. It feels heavier so maybe that’s why. The GA seems really light and speedy, which probably lends itself to being less stable at highway speeds
  • The tech on the Goldwing is better. If you are I to iPhones and the latest tech, the Goldwing is better. It has CarPlay and allows a phone to be paired up as well as headsets for the driver and passenger.
  • The storage on the Goldwing is cheap feeling and the little compartment on it on the top is very hard to open and is really flimsy.
  • The BMW seems to sit higher and more comfortably. My wife said the BMW is more comfortable than the GW was.
  • The foot boards on the GA were a bit selling point for me. I am 6’2” and the Goldwing felt really cramped. All the highway pegs for the GW move them out past the engine which is too spread eagle for me whereas the GA has the boards and they are super comfortable so far.
  • Mounting stuff to the handlebars of the GA will be easier, but I believe the dealership switched out the bars to the rounded ones
  • The GW I had was a DCT and I really liked that except it also shifted at weird spots sometimes. I like the shifting so far on the GA.
I could go on and on, but ultimately, you should test drive both as much as you can and pick whichever one speaks to you.

#54 ·
  • The foot boards on the GA were a bit selling point for me. I am 6’2” and the Goldwing felt really cramped. All the highway pegs for the GW move them out past the engine which is too spread eagle for me whereas the GA has the boards and they are super comfortable so far.
The floorboards really are underrated for those of us who are tall. It gives me another option to put my feet and give my knees a break meaning that I can spend more time riding and less time having to get off and stretch.

james

#56 ·
I have both a GTL and a New Goldwing Tour. I have never been left stranded with my GTL. I really like them both for different reasons. BMW - Exciting to ride; amazing performance. Goldwing - feels like a stole my father's Cadillac; possibly better for 2-up riding. For what's worth, I have a lot more space on the GTL. Although it's hard to assess a new bike in a short ride, but maybe a test ride may help you.

Chuck

#58 ·

K1600 is significantly better than GW in; road clearance, dynamics, fuel capacity, luggage, weight, concept, look,,. K1600 reliability is low so you can't confidently plan a longer trip (holiday with partner). Many K1600 owners sell bike before the warranty expire (2 years).
(GL will last generations).
Mark

#60 ·
I would ride my KB into the inner rings of he11 and know it would not let me down. This forum has been helpful over the years, but I disagree with many of the negative opinions and have not had the negative experiences that many have reported having. I have not owned 45 bikes during my 30 years of riding but would consider my K1600 the finest machine I have owned and do not regret one mile of ownership. I cannot speak to Goldwing except in saying that I do not like the idea of supporting that particular platform over the German technology. In the end, you must be happy sir.

Reactions: pkpr1998
#62 ·
This has been an interesting read. I'm in the market for a bike I can take on trips, with some luggage capacity....but, I will not get a top box model (regardless) - so, I guess I'm pushing the luggage capacity down in my priority list.

In the last month, I've test ridden:
- harley street glide / road glide (5 days in South Dakota on the SG)
- Indian Challenger
- used K1600B - short ride, no highway
- Yamaha FJR1300
- Goldwing
- Goldwing DCT

To say I'm struggling with a decision is an understatement. I really wanted to like the BMW K1600B. I did not immediately love it. To be fair, the ride was short; but, it felt very heavy - much heavier than the GW at low speed (assume this is CG related) and it felt down in low end torque.

The GW feels "light" comparatively and is really easy to throw into corners....so, I don't understand the BMW handles better commentary. Perhaps I am not a skilled enough rider.

I am 6' 1'' tall, 218lbs and wear a 34 inseam pant. I find myself very cramped on the BMW rider triangle...certainly when you ride Indian and Harley back to back....I mean - they aren't the same, but people use them for the same purposes so....I'm lumping together.

The 2022 with the new TFT looks amazing.

Did I miss something on my test ride? Do I need to go ride again?

#65 ·
To say I'm struggling with a decision is an understatement.
If you found the Harley, Indian, and GW appealing, it most likely means the K16 isn't for you. The K16 takes performance touring to a level that can't be achieved by the others. To me, buying a K16 and only using 50% of it's capabilities is a waste. Buy the bike that fits your style of riding. You'll be happier in the long run.

#63 ·
Generally, I think your sentiment and others here that “BMWs are needy and Honda is bulletproof” is probably right. I have had about 10 BMs and a dozen Hondas in my life, of all sorts. Generally, Honda was more trouble free.
What bothers me is that modern bikes are super complex and that reliability is not fully warranted not even for Honda nowadays. My 2011 VFR 1200, which is the most modern Honda I had, had a number of issues, quality as well as reliability, most significantly having lunched it’s own rear trans.. twice (over 15k miles, so not much). The second time, it lead to a crash that also totalled the bike, and nearly myself. If I were a US consumer I would have sued Honda to the cleaners.

#64 ·
Reactions: dnschmpn
#66 ·
+1 @JohnS1955 recommendation is spot on.

Duane

#70 ·
I’m in the same boat. Current owner of a B, I love the power and grunt of it.
My last 2 bikes were a panigale and RSV4, this B is light on its toes compared to the 2 I mentioned. Not a sports bike by any means, but can hold its own in the twisties and backroads.
I am considering a GW as well, I want to travel more and I believe the GW is the way to go. The B doesn’t feel planted enough on the slab IMO. To avoid that, I stay on the back roads- not the reason why I got the bagger……I want to eat up miles without fear of going past 75 mph and having the front end feeling light.
I live in TX near the 130….the speed limit is 85mph on some stretches, so I legally travel at high speeds for an extended amount of time when headed to San Antonio. Just my .02…..I’ll hold on to the B for another year since my miles are low and factory warranty is in tact

#71 ·
I’m in the same boat. Current owner of a B, I love the power and grunt of it.
My last 2 bikes were a panigale and RSV4, this B is light on its toes compared to the 2 I mentioned. Not a sports bike by any means, but can hold its own in the twisties and backroads.
I am considering a GW as well, I want to travel more and I believe the GW is the way to go. The B doesn’t feel planted enough on the slab IMO. To avoid that, I stay on the back roads- not the reason why I got the bagger……I want to eat up miles without fear of going past 75 mph and having the front end feeling light.
I live in TX near the 130….the speed limit is 85mph on some stretches, so I legally travel at high speeds for an extended amount of time when headed to San Antonio. Just my .02…..I’ll hold on to the B for another year since my miles are low and factory warranty is in tact
I tend to agree with you as I found the Wing much more stable on the interstate than the GTL or the GA. The Wing may have been even more stable than my LT and the LT is a fair bit more stable than the K16s.

The irony is that a bike like the Wing which seems made for long distance interstate travel as a small fuel tank and small case capacity. I was glad to see Honda address the top case in the 2022 model, but they have yet to address the side cases, though I know that Corbin has … for a princely sum. And I am guessing that they have no easy way to address fuel capacity without a major redesign, so I don’t hold out much hope there. However, the side cases could easy be addressed with a lid change as was done with the top case and as Corbin does with the side cases currently.

#73 ·
I understand people get wrapped around the axel on fuel range and storage space etc...But the new wing is constantly getting 220-240 to the tank (I personally am stopping around the 200 mile mark anyway to stretch and smoke.) granted the fill ups are around 5.3 gallons on 5.5 gallon tank but it seems that after the fuel indicator goes to dashed lines there's about 15 miles left until walking. As for storage every bike I have owned has had its own storage dilemma. Thats why I have different bags and a trailer to plan accordingly... I personally would love to have the new DCT wing just overlaps my B to much to justify it....

JJ

#74 ·
I have a B/GA; hands down the best ride I've had.
The irony is I am negotiating with a Harley dealer to join rider education at their dealership; meaning I will likely need a third bike.

I am looking at a Harley Pan American to appease the dealership, but keep my K as my primary ride. The dealer kept pointing to the shiny chrome dressers and baggers stating he'd give me a great deal. I didn't want to insult anyone, but the Harley cannot match the K on the road. A Pan American seemed like a compromise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.