BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new one arrived this morning. Had to get to work, so I just gave it a quick damage check. I did notice this triangular brace looking thing underneath that wasn't on my old bike. Anyone know what it is? In the top case, there was a surprise - BMW battery tender.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
You get a new bike and the only pics are of the battery tender? I object.:grin:

You had the piece on your old bike. If not, the rear suspension would collapse on itself. A modified version of this bracket is offered as an aftermarket solution to lowering the rear-end.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Be happy that the piece is installed. Without it a pygmy could sit on the bike.........

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some checking. Those aren't the lowering links, are they? Bike seems lower than the old one. I'll take more pics later. I had to get to work.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Looks OEM to me, but it's hard to tell from the pic. Some aftermarket ones are cut/finished differently and have markings on them. Some though do follow the OEM pattern.

You will have to measure the geometry (C-C distances between the holes) to be sure.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
You get a new bike and the only pics are of the battery tender? I object.:grin:

This!!! Stop the teasing and give us some real pics!

Congrats on the bike!!!
:clap:

·
Registered
644 Posts
No idea what that white square is off or for. The triangle pieace I have yet to see a bike that doesnt have that. All sports bikes have those. People would swap it out for a aftermarket to lower the bike.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to wait until I got home. Got the RDL on her, so it's definitely mine. The Sargent side covers don't really fit. I might sand them a bit and try for a better fit. There's a lot more space under the seat than my old bike. I'm wondering what that round cap goes to. It was in the trunk. It looks like it would fit the connector to the top case light.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Is the round cap the cap to the data connector that's wire tied up by your battery? Hard to tell from the pic.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well done sir!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Congrats on the new sled! Are you back to 100% or, at least, well enough to ride?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the round cap the cap to the data connector that's wire tied up by your battery? Hard to tell from the pic.
I'm not sure what that cable is. It's not round. The top case cap sounds plausible. My 2012 didn't come with one, so I figured it belonged somewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
The triangle brackets are on all K1600s and are part of your rear suspension system. Stock ones are aluminum and are 5/16" (8mm) thick. GARS aftermarket brackets are steel and thinner maybe 3/16"-1/4" thick. Use a magnet to determine the material.

The round cap is a protector cap that screws on the under seat cable, that goes to your trunk, when the trunk is removed. My 2012 GTL had one. My used 2016 didn't but then it's an item that is easily lost or set aside and forgotten when the bike is put together at the dealer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts