BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I replaced the original Metzelers with new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III and made the following observations: smoother ride, quieter ride, softer handling, somewhat higher wind sensitivity, and you know what - left pull is gone, completely gone...

BR Sven

·
Registered
762 Posts
When it's time to replace the original Bridgestones on my GTL, I'll probably go with those Dunlop RS III.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The other day I replaced the original Metzelers with new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III and made the following observations: smoother ride, quieter ride, softer handling, somewhat higher wind sensitivity, and you know what - left pull is gone, completely gone...

BR Sven
Tjena.

Were the original Metzelers Z8?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I know I'm going against the grain, but my one set of Dunlops will be my last. They ARE great when new. But I also noticed the highest degradation in handling anomalies as they approached the wear indicators. In fact they were the worst at getting straight line squirmy as any tire I've tried. I've tried pr4's, metzlers, pirelli Angel gt, and Dunlops. The PR4 tires offer the best handling over the life of the tire = safety in my book.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that tires like other products are made with certain customers as a target market. When used by customers that ride outside that design envelop, they are disappointed.

Not putting anyone or any tire choice down, all the choices available are designed a little different to excell within that envelop. Be it longevity, wet traction, dry traction, touring.

Soon I'll find out for myself. I ordered the Dunlop RS3 tires for my B. Will post what i think.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just put a set of the Roadsmarts on my GA and they ride great but are much noisier than the original Bridgestones. Hoping they quiet down when they wear in.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Hi guys,

I fitted RSlll's on my GTL a few days ago and have since done around 3,000kms on them replacing the original OEM Bridgestones. Grip and stability are much improved, moreover the left pull I did have on my 2018 GTL has gone.

Initially, when the Dunlops were brand new, a left pull was still evident though reduced by say 50%. More of a gentle slow turn as opposed to a distinct pull as before. Since then I've had something of an epiphany......

During a 13 hrs ride up to the north German Coast and remembering a previous comment gleaned from a member, I moved position on my RDL seat slightly to the right. (I will go back through the threads, try to find him and say thank-you). NO TURN OR PULL, it had gone. If I moved a little more to the right I could get the bike to pull right when the bars were released. Now all these things are somewhat subjective but it would appear that over the years I've adopted a slightly left of centre riding position. Clearly my GTL, with or without Dunlops ( I have no comparative evidence) is sensitive to weight distribution. I assume others will be the same? After a little practise and shuffling around I could find the sweet spot as a matter of course. The bike now stays straight for a short while before turning LEFT or RIGHT dependent on the conditions of the moment, camber, wind etc.

Other variables are a new CalSci Screen and an RDL seat, though on the face of it they do not appear to be a factor.

Once again thanks to all, this forum has improved my knowledge and therefore enjoyment immeasurably.

Safe riding and best regards,

Tony

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I know I'm going against the grain, but my one set of Dunlops will be my last. They ARE great when new. But I also noticed the highest degradation in handling anomalies as they approached the wear indicators. In fact they were the worst at getting straight line squirmy as any tire I've tried. I've tried pr4's, metzlers, pirelli Angel gt, and Dunlops. The PR4 tires offer the best handling over the life of the tire = safety in my book.
Ranger1 that is weird, as I noticed almost 180 difference to you. I am maybe 80% worn and am pleased that turn in is still light and have much less cupping than on PR4. Minimal flatting of the rear even after quite few highway miles as well. Feel and traction are nearly the same as new. Good luck in search for best tire for you.......I think I will try a second set soon.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've always thought it would be cool if manufacturers offered different compound mixes within the same tire line to suit individual rider needs. A guy that spends 80% of time on highway commute vs a guy who rips up the back roads on the weekends are going to have different wear rates. If there were 80/20, 50/50, 20/80 highway/backroad compound options, you could fine tune to your riding needs within the same tire line, instead of moving to a new manufacturer/tread design/compound all at once.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Another tire thread!?! :grin::wink:

I've had them all - and the RSIII's have been my last three sets.

I live in the twisties.

End of tire rant.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I also found they are great when new but what amazed me was how really good they are after the miles pile up. They are extremely predictable and confidence inspiring even as they approach the wear bars without any cupping or unusual wear.

They will be my go to tires on both of my bikes and I highly recommend them. Dunlop did a great job with these tires.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I also found they are great when new but what amazed me was how really good they are after the miles pile up. They are extremely predictable and confidence inspiring even as they approach the wear bars without any cupping or unusual wear.

They will be my go to tires on both of my bikes and I highly recommend them. Dunlop did a great job with these tires.
This has been my findings also. I also like how the wear is consistent all of the way down to the wear bars. I've had other tires that literally disappear as you get into the last bit of the tire. I've pulled a Bushtec trailer in Rain and shine with the RS3's and they have never caused a pucker moment.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Just FYI, the Dunlop RoadSmart 3 tires currently have a $40 rebate when you buy front and rear tires. Good till end of June. Makes the tires pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
No cupping; no L pull; but then again I'm pretty anal about 42 and 42 for pressure.

Probably on my 3rd set of RSM III's. Love 'em and getting 10K plus out of a set.

Not all K1600's have a left pull.

For me to get 10k miles out of a set of tires on this bike, I would have to trailer it for 4000 of those miles. I got just over 5k out of my last set and changed them due to a little road trip next month that's going to be about 1000 miles round trip. No way would they have made it.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts