BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
K1600 2022 white otion 719
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there
I bought the new 2022 model, it's a white option 719 bike and it's a wonderful and beautiful bike.
However my relation with it don't start the right way.
When I bought it I noticed a weird sound from the engine, specially when coasting in 5th and 6th gear, I have a smooth drive, not high speeds.
I complain to the dealer and after two weeks of fight and discussion about the noise they finally try to solve it.
I wrote to BMW Motorrad in Germany complained about the situation and they send me a new engine and gearbox to replace.
I only traveled about 730 kms with it.
They borrow me the demonstration bike, I ride it and there was no noise or winning sound from the gearbox.
When I went to pick up my bike with the new engine, the noise and winning disappeared, however other sounds came with it.
I experience a big lash on the driveshaft and gearbox, at 3k rpm the engine make the tick noise, the gears are very loud when shift, and it makes a noise that let me crazy. At 80 kmh I hear a noise came from the front wheel, I compare with the other bike and the conclusion is the tires, it fitted the Metzler. I don't like that at all.
Does any one have the same noise? It came only when you go between 75 kmh and 85 kmh, that very anoing.
When I drive in 3th or 4th gear between 1. 5k and 2.5k rpm I hear and feel a vibration came from the transmission and clutch.
That's anoing and I am always thinking about that.
Does this new model came with all the problems of the previous model?
One more thing, all the bike I tried all turn the radio on when you turn on the ignition... Mine doesn't... It's normal said the dealer...
I love the bike but I don't think I will live with all the rattles and noises...
What can I do to improve this?
The bike has 2900 kms now and I will go on vacation next week with it.
The new engine was serviced with 1022 kms and they put red oil instead of the yellow one original, I already replaced it with the original.
Hope someone can help me and tranquilize me.. Other way I thinkg selling it.
Thank you, best regards
Alex

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
4000 Mi
Hello there
I bought the new 2022 model, it's a white option 719 bike and it's a wonderful and beautiful bike.
When I bought it I noticed a weird sound from the engine, specially when coasting in 5th and 6th gear, I have a smooth drive, not high speeds.
I complain to the dealer and after two weeks of fight and discussion about the noise they finally try to solve it.
I wrote to BMW Motorrad in Germany complained about the situation and they send me a new engine and gearbox to replace.
They borrow me the demonstration bike, I ride it and there was no noise or winning sound from the gearbox.
When I went to pick up my bike with the new engine, the noise and winning disappeared, however other sounds came with it.
I experience a big lash on the driveshaft and gearbox, at 3k rpm the engine make the tick noise, the gears are very loud when shift, and it makes a noise that let me crazy. At 80 kmh I hear a noise came from the front wheel, I compare with the other bike and the conclusion is the tires, it fitted the Metzler. I don't like that at all.
Does any one have the same noise? It came only when you go between 75 kmh and 85 kmh, that very anoing.
When I drive in 3th or 4th gear between 1. 5k and 2.5k rpm I hear and feel a vibration came from the transmission and clutch.
One more thing, all the bike I tried all turn the radio on when you turn on the ignition... Mine doesn't... It's normal said the dealer...
I love the bike but I don't think I will live with all the rattles and noises...
The new engine was serviced with 1022 kms and they put red oil instead of the yellow one original, I already replaced it with the original.
Thank you, best regards
Alex
Take it into another dealer whilst your on holiday and see if you can get a second opinion about your issues.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
FWIW, every K1600 I’ve ridden (three owned, two demo's) exhibit a faint drivetrain vibration in 3rd & 4th gear in that engine speed range so I’d say that’s a “characteristic“ of the bike rather than a fault.

Reactions: TouringTim

·
Registered
210 Posts
I own a 2022 K1600B with 2.300 km's on it and I have none of the issues you described (and I'm sorry to hear that you do :-/). Everything runs so smooth and I also have the Metzler tires. I took my bike on a two day driving course (on track) when it had 900 km's on it and it performed like a dream.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motorcycle helmet Automotive tire

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hello there
Thank you, best regards
Alex

The red oil is the Motul 7000, which I find to be the best chance of curing the noise situation from the drive train. I use it if I can get it, the Castrol 4T not so much. I only know the 2013 K1600GT, so can't speak to any of the issues you mention, but will say that when I bought the bike it was a quiet and smooth drive train, wearing a full helmet, when riding with a half-helmet on a sunny day, I could hear every ding and really didn't like it at all. My 2007 Harley Electra Glide Standard was way smoother and quieter at speed, although that transmission clunked even worse then K16's on shifts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I own a 2022 K1600B with 2.300 km's on it and I have none of the issues you described (and I'm sorry to hear that you do :-/). Everything runs so smooth and I also have the Metzler tires. I took my bike on a two day driving course (on track) when it had 900 km's on it and it performed like a dream.

View attachment 167971
Thank you for your reply, that means something is wrong with mine and not all do the same vibrations and noises...
Just don't accept a 30k € bike do all this issues...
FWIW, every K1600 I’ve ridden (three owned, two demo's) exhibit a faint drivetrain vibration in 3rd & 4th gear in that engine speed range so I’d say that’s a “characteristic“ of the bike rather than a fault.
Thanks for your reply, mine doesn't do a faint, does a very loud clunk and notorious vibrations on handlebar and footrest.
The engine vibrates on neutral if I put the revs between 2k and 3k rpm.
You can feel it thu all bike
A 30k € bike don't have this issues.
If I rev up the engine between 2k and 3k rpm in neutral with the bike stopped I can feel all the bike vibrating, handlebars and footrest.
I suppose the engine is round and smooth as they describe... Mine is not.
The thing is the second engine and the issues are there...
The red oil is the Motul 7000, which I find to be the best chance of curing the noise situation from the drive train. I use it if I can get it, the Castrol 4T not so much. I only know the 2013 K1600GT, so can't speak to any of the issues you mention, but will say that when I bought the bike it was a quiet and smooth drive train, wearing a full helmet, when riding with a half-helmet on a sunny day, I could hear every ding and really didn't like it at all. My 2007 Harley Electra Glide Standard was way smoother and quieter at speed, although that transmission clunked even worse then K16's on shifts.
Thanks for your information, I prefer the original oil due the warranty of a new engine, if something goes wrong the manufacturer discard responsabilities due the use of a not recommended oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

View attachment 167971
Thank you for your reply, that means something is wrong with mine and not all do the same vibrations and noises...
Just don't accept a 30k € bike do all this issues...
Thanks for your reply, mine doesn't do a faint, does a very loud clunk and notorious vibrations on handlebar and footrest.
The engine vibrates on neutral if I put the revs between 2k and 3k rpm.
You can feel it thu all bike
A 30k € bike don't have this issues.
If I rev up the engine between 2k and 3k rpm in neutral with the bike stopped I can feel all the bike vibrating, handlebars and footrest.
I suppose the engine is round and smooth as they describe... Mine is not.
The thing is the second engine and the issues are there...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I done another 1000 kms with it on this couple days, mostly on highway at speeds between 140 and 150 kmh on cruise control.
In 4th gear between the 1800 and 2000 rpm I feel something on handlebar... I guess I have to live with it... :confused:

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,852 Posts
I done another 1000 kms with it on this couple days, mostly on highway at speeds between 140 and 150 kmh on cruise control.
In 4th gear between the 1800 and 2000 rpm I feel something on handlebar... I guess I have to live with it... :confused:
If you do, I suggest that you make a formal appointment and write your concerns on the job card to establish a record that you might need later, even if their response is that its "normal".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you do, I suggest that you make a formal appointment and write your concerns on the job card to establish a record that you might need later, even if their response is that its "normal".
Thanks for your point, I have all the issues recorded on official bmw dealers.
The thing is very annoying to me, I just need someone who have one to ride mine and see if there is any difference or is just like that.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,852 Posts
Test ride another model at the same dealership or a different dealership, or let another dealership test your bike.

·
Registered
992 Posts
@Brazeagle had a similar issue, IIRC. He got the dealership to dig into the engine and found that valves on 2(?) cylinders were not installed correctly. Best thing is to read it for yourself. Here is the thread --> 2022 K1600 GTL - Engine knocking - bad Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Brazeagle had a similar issue, IIRC. He got the dealership to dig into the engine and found that valves on 2(?) cylinders were not installed correctly. Best thing is to read it for yourself. Here is the thread --> 2022 K1600 GTL - Engine knocking - bad Hope this helps.
Thanks, help me a lot. I will check with my dealer when return from vacations. The thing is how the problem is there if they swap the engine 🤔

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would hope quality control has been more active since there have been a few issues noted here. That likely means there are others that we know nothing about. I hope this gets handled to your satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts