BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've taken the plunge and ordered the last of the 2020GA's today for a September delivery.

Got it in Black with a nav 6 and set of pannier liners, so after next week when I come back from another couple of days away I'll be stripping off my RDL seat and selling it along with the BMW top box and pannier liners off my GTL, but I'll keep the Sci Cal screen I've got as I'm sure it's a straight swap over.

I was worried about the "weave" at high speeds, but after trying one two up at the rev limiter there was no drama what so ever, so I'm putting that to bed and may consider a remap to keep the engine like the GTLE I currently have as it's before the strangulation of the bike before Euro 4 arrived a few years back.

So anyone interested in the seat or bags drop me a line or I'll post a sales add in the next week or two.

Thanks

James

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Bet you can't wait, the countdown has begun!

Reactions: jesim1

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'll be interested to learn your views on the GA. Currently I am being sorely tempted by, dare I say on here ........ a Goldwing DCT, which is constrained similarly.

BTW, I have always wondered if the weave issue is largely induced by turbulence from large trucks - Semi rigs tend to rock along at quite a pace in the US, way faster than the UK & are a tad larger than we ever see in Europe at present. The US also gets some weird wind conditions when the mercury rises, particularly in the desert areas.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congrats James it do
So I've taken the plunge and ordered the last of the 2020GA's today for a September delivery.

View attachment 144170
Got it in Black with a nav 6 and set of pannier liners, so after next week when I come back from another couple of days away I'll be stripping off my RDL seat and selling it along with the BMW top box and pannier liners off my GTL, but I'll keep the Sci Cal screen I've got as I'm sure it's a straight swap over.

I was worried about the "weave" at high speeds, but after trying one two up at the rev limiter there was no drama what so ever, so I'm putting that to bed and may consider a remap to keep the engine like the GTLE I currently have as it's before the strangulation of the bike before Euro 4 arrived a few years back.

So anyone interested in the seat or bags drop me a line or I'll post a sales add in the next week or two.

Thanks

James
Congrats James, it does look nice, let’s hope next year we can get together for a group ride

Reactions: jesim1

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be interested to learn your views on the GA. Currently I am being sorely tempted by, dare I say on here ........ a Goldwing DCT, which is constrained similarly.

BTW, I have always wondered if the weave issue is largely induced by turbulence from large trucks - Semi rigs tend to rock along at quite a pace in the US, way faster than the UK & are a tad larger than we ever see in Europe at present. The US also gets some weird wind conditions when the mercury rises, particularly in the desert areas.
I went to a dealer last week who had both the Goldwing and the GA available, with arriving on my GTL I was able to do an hour on each back to back on similar roads and conditions. I really wanted to like the Goldwing, but it was a bit "Meh" 🤔 It was just ok, the DCT is pretty good, and if you use it in manual then it's quick enough, but it's just a bit soulless. It is more solid at all speeds, but you lose the sharper handling, so it depends what you want - I'm just not ready for a Goldwing. I liked the initial look of the dash, but there is so much crap on the sat nav it's harder to read at times TBH, and most of the functionality cannot be used unless you stop - so even the zoom function is locked while riding 😢 Add in that it's smaller, more cramped, and carries less luggage with stupidly shaped internal designed panniers you really have to question the logic in it? It's also worse on petrol, has a smaller tank, and was very sensitve to white lines (possibly crap OE tires that don't suit the bike?) - I really struggled to find anything good to say about it, which is unfair, as it's a great bike, but just does not shine in this company.

I was worried about the weave also, but after riding one, I'm fine with it, I honestly could not feel anything at all, it was no different to my GTL, so do try to get a go an one as I'm sure 90% of people will wonder what all the fuss is about.

James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts