BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to Europe and ride regularly and usually fly my bike for aprox $1500 each way
I found a 2013 k1600gtl with 101,000 miles for $1500
I could fly over and ride it for 6 weeks and sell it to a salvage yard
It has a transmission issue with third gear
You can ride the bike but have to skip 3rd gear
Is this a common problem and if so what’s usually the culprit?
should mileage scare me off ? At most I want 15k more miles out of the bike
Fix it or ride it like it is ?
there’s used transmissions out there , how hard to swap ?
Have BMW dealer fix it ? Quoted $800 for the swap labor maybe just have it fixed
Thanks In advance

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
I can only say that this is the first time I have heard of this particular problem with the transmission. I don't stay in third long so it might be easy enough to not have it. No idea of the cost for repair.

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
My brother has 140,000 miles on his 2012 GT and is in no rush to trade it off. Other than the new current model (2017-2020) having a 5th gear recall on their transmissions the older ones have been pretty bullet proof. I can't say if you should get this one and try and ride it for 6 weeks but it might be OK for what you have planned out.

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
what year is the bike?

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting.

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
I doubt you could repair it and sell it for a profit. These bikes don't have a very high resale especially as old as that one is and with over 100,000 miles. I would either look for another low priced one with no issues or ride this one as is and either sell or give it away in Europe. There are a lot of European K1600 owners on this forum who could help you get rid of it over there.

Take a look at this member map

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt you could repair it and sell it for a profit. These bikes don't have a very high resale especially as old as that one is and with over 100,000 miles. I would either look for another low priced one with no issues or ride this one as is and either sell or give it away in Europe. There are a lot of European K1600 owners on this forum who could help you get rid of it over there.

Take a look at this member map
is it worth $4500 repaired? I don't know for sure, seems like it would be.

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
I sold my 2012 with 92,500 miles in 2018 for $6,500 so you never know. Keep looking for another one if you have the time.

Reactions: MuayThai4life

·
Registered
351 Posts
Prior to purchasing my current 2012 K1600GT, I bought a 2013 K1600GT from a dealer 400 miles away. Rode down there on my old bike, traded it in, picked up the 'new' one and, because a thunderstorm was rapidly approaching, signed the paperwork and hit the road towards home. I slogged thru the city for 20 miles before things opened up and I could row through the gearbox. As soon as I went to fifth gear, it sounded like someone had dropped a bunch of wrenches into the tranny. The bike would not go into fifth and made a hellacious sound. I could skip from fourth to sixth, but that's not the way to ride a premium bike. Contacted the dealer (they were closed by then, but I had the manager's cell number), told them of the issue and rode on home. They contacted me the next day and we discussed some options, however, the one that I wanted (have the local BMW dealer do some tranny work) was deemed too expensive. So they trucked my trade in back to me and picked up the bad Beemer. I then rode to Albuquerque and purchased my current bike. Long story short, tranny jobs on any bike, but especially a BMW, a very labor intensive ($$$). My advice wouuld be to keep looking.

Reactions: rikracer99

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm with @racer1735.

My 2012 GT played the same trick & needed a whole new gearbox cassette & a days labour, under warranty thankfully. There is little doubt in my mind that this trans will fail within the next 100 miles or so - if you press on regardless there is the risk that it will try to select 2 gears at once & lock up if it doesn't wreck itself before then.

Probably best it goes to the breakers yard unless you are good with the tools - the cost of licking it into shape won't end there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Given COVID, not sure when you'll be able to travel to Europe - maybe not until next year after a vaccine...gives you plenty of time to find a better equation...pass on this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Given COVID, not sure when you'll be able to travel to Europe - maybe not until next year after a vaccine...gives you plenty of time to find a better equation...pass on this one.
I agree, except I'm hoping for a project this year. Better to buy a bike in the UK and sell it there when I'm done.....thanks for the wise words

1 - 16 of 16 Posts