BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Norway everyone :)
I plan to buy two new helmets for my wife and me, and the choice is (so far) between Shoei Neotec 2, Schubert C5 and original BMW System 7.
Regardless of what I land on, there must be communication in all helmets.
Does anyone out there have any recommendations and preferably an explanation as to why?
I want a helmet that is as "quiet" as possible.
We currently have two Nolan X-Lite X1003, and drive a K1600 GLT 2013 model.
I live as far north in Norway as you can get, and the selection of shops that have a good selection of helmets, well then I probably have to travel about 750 km to find :rolleyes:

Best reg
Tore

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have been extremely happy with the Neotec 2 I've had for 15 months now. To me it was a major step up from a Bilt modular I had for a few years and I think it's pretty **** quiet too. I also have the built-for-the-Neotec 2 Sena SRL2 Bluetooth system on it and it works great for what I need it. Never used the mesh feature, so not sure how well that works.

·
Premium Member
2020 K1600 GT
76 Posts
I wear only Full Face hemets. I have had Suomy (super light, but loud). Arai nice but the screens are a pain in the ass to remove and now a Shoei GT-AirII with the built in Sena system. The Shoei is a little louder than my Arai, but the conveyance of the internal sunscreen and built in bluetooth make it superior to my Arai.

My only real advice, is to try them on!! (sounds like that won't be an easy task for you)

·
Registered
2015 K1600GT SE
10 Posts
I plan to buy two new helmets for my wife and me, and the choice is (so far) between Shoei Neotec 2, Schubert C5 and original BMW System 7.
Does anyone out there have any recommendations and preferably an explanation as to why?
I live as far north in Norway as you can get, and the selection of shops that have a good selection of helmets, well then I probably have to travel about 750 km to find :rolleyes:

Best reg
Tore
I recently replaced a Schuberth E1 with a C5. Very quiet & comfortable helmet. I found the E1 leaked in heavy rain but the C5 doesn’t. Had to wait for the SRC2 comms but it is very easy to fit & set up. I had to use padding to bring the speakers closer to my ears as I found it too quiet. I only really use the SRC2 for listening to Waze & music via my phone.
I’ve had my C5 3 months now & the SRC2 6 weeks but so far so good. I ride 18000miles per year in all weathers & always buy quality kit.
Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Shoei Neotech 2. Bought one for me and one for my wife last year. Installed Cardo Packtalkbold - bought a 2 pack on Amazon. Great helmet, great comms.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shoei Neotech 2 here with the built in Sena comm system. Connects up to the phone good. I had a Schuberth C3 prior to this one. Helmets are like seats; just depends on the shape of one's butt or head.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
4000 Mi

Best reg
Tore
We had the BMW System 6 which was Shoei rebadged. Upgraded to system 7 and they seem to fit us better, my better half used to have forehead tightness with the 6 but the 7 is great. We also like the built in communicator. We've travelled a lot of miles, they look tired but they're both working great. I think the batteries might be better in other communication systems or ours are worn out. We run out within 6 to 8 hours with the three Bluetooth connections always running and sometimes I play my music a bit louder than maybe I should. The 22 K TFT shows the helmet battery level on the display, I guess that's a Bluetooth standard and not specific to the BMW communicator.

I would say, at the end of the day, you need to try them on. I rented a bike from France to Spain, I don't remember the make of helmet, except that I kept thinking what do you expect from a rental. They are all different.

There is a new EU rule on helmet safety and the changes justify making sure whatever you buy meets that standard ECE 22.06 as it is a step up on the old standard, but may increase weight, I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
745 Posts
Well the important thing is to wear all the helmets and choose the one that fits you best. The three brands may fit your head differently! I don't like proprietary comms. One reason is that if you get a new helmet of a different style you have to buy comms again. I have a Cardo Freecom 4+. Before that I had a Cardo Q2 Multiset for ten years.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My best and only suggestion for you is to choose the helmet that is the most comfortable to each of you. That may be different for her than for you. Comfort is the very most important factor in a helmet, because if it’s not comfortable you either won’t wear it or you won’t ride.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Unfortunately, you need to try on each of the alternatives.

I wore Shoei helmets - lots of different models - for many years and then swapped to a Schuberth C3 Pro a few years ago. Beautifully made and finished, good ventilation and a reasonable weight. But it was never totally comfortable.

When the Neotec 2 came out I tried one on while intending to buy a new visor for the C3. I bought the Neotec 2 instead and it was like coming home.

Bottom line is that one may fit your head better than another so only you can decide. One thing I would say is that the Shoei liners are more durable than the Schuberth ones.

·
Boom
747 Posts
I was very happy when I found an Arai helmet that fit my long oval head perfectly about five years ago. Best fitting helmet for me. When I remarried a few years ago, we ended up with matching Neotec 2 helmets. I had some interest in the modular helmets but was never satisfied with the fit for my long oval head. My wife is Asian and her head shape is also different than the average head in the U.S. That said, she found the Neotec 2 to fit her, much to my surprise. I found one that also was pretty close to my Arai fit, which kind of surprised me. I bought some additional pads from Arai (at my expense) to replace the ones that came with the helmet and ended up with a comfortable fit for me. Not quite as good as the Arai, but better than I have had with other helmets in the past. I like the modular design for pulling up to the gates at the military bases (they often want to see my face and opening the modular helmet is good enough for them, as opposed to me having to remove my Arai helmet each time) and I also like it for making quick stops during Iron Butt rides. The modular helmet is a bit heavier...was a bit concerned about that, but the first 23 hour ride didn't prove to cause any neck discomfort. We have Cardo Packtalk Bolds on our helmets, attached using the adhesive. They are not going anywhere...adhesive works well.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
745 Posts
I like the modular design for pulling up to the gates at the military bases (they often want to see my face and opening the modular helmet is good enough for them, as opposed to me having to remove my Arai helmet each time)
Are you going to to a super duper secure place. Cheyenne Mountain? Every base I've been to I raise my visor keep sunglasses on and get waved through. I always thought it is strange because all they see is my nose and my top lip🙄

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I own a AGV sportmodular carbon. Great helmet, very light and quiet. You should check it out.
Have worn one since it first came out. About 3 years ago I went over the handlebars at around 35 MPH and hit head first on the pavement, didn't even have a headache that night (Lots of other "ache's though..). Of course I went out next day and bought another! Crazy light and comfortable for all day riding.

·
Registered
494 Posts
For me the C3 Pro is the best helmet for my head, even I have bought another one that was in stock.
AGV modular carbon would be a future candidate.
Try and try before buying, heads are different and the helmet must fit perfect.
Good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am also in the market for a new helmet. I have narrowed my choice to either a Shubert C5 with its SRC2 comms or the HJC rpha 90s carbon with the packtalk edge.
I have seen great reviews of the 90s carbon, all saying it's the quietest modular helmet and it's very light.

Does anyone know what speakers come built in on the Shubert c5?

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 K1600B
85 Posts
Tore,

I personally have a Shoei Neotec 2. I like the full face protection, drop down visor and full face shield. However, it's a heavy helmet. I purchased it to place SENA SRL MESH system in the helmet (the helmet was designed for integrating the SENA unit). The new SRL MESH has Harmon Kardon speakers, etc.

The only other helmets that I considered were carbon fiber helmets...I like lighter helmets. The Shoei is over $700 US dollars. The SENA MESH is probably another $350 (it's not yet available in stores...although, according to the store manager, our local Cycle Gear has two coming in next week).

At Cycle Gear, I was able to test fit several brands of helmets before purchasing the Shoei. The most comfortable helmet I own is a half helmet made of carbon fiber (old Harley days) which offers little to no protection (in my opinion).

Good luck with your choice. As a side note and being brutally nosey (and curious)...why do you live in northern Norway?

Semper Fi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello everyone
Thanks for the many good inputs regarding helmets.
What it boils down to is that you MUST try helmets before you buy, and that is what makes sense. As I write at the beginning, I am going to a MC dealer with a selection of helmets, the nearest is Oulu in Finland, and it is about a 750 km drive.
Now it must be said that it is a nice city and good roads there, it is also where I drive to have my K1600 GTL serviced.
Why I live up here, 5 km from the Russian border........ :) Well, it's a long story that is necessarily not that exciting, it's about my wife, work, free time and nature experiences with and without MC.
Soon I will retire and then there is a real opportunity to move to a place in the world where I can ride MC all year round, up here in the north the season is from June to September
"For alt vi har. Og alt vi er"
Tore,

I personally have a Shoei Neotec 2. I like the full face protection, drop down visor and full face shield. However, it's a heavy helmet. I purchased it to place SENA SRL MESH system in the helmet (the helmet was designed for integrating the SENA unit). The new SRL MESH has Harmon Kardon speakers, etc.

The only other helmets that I considered were carbon fiber helmets...I like lighter helmets. The Shoei is over $700 US dollars. The SENA MESH is probably another $350 (it's not yet available in stores...although, according to the store manager, our local Cycle Gear has two coming in next week).

At Cycle Gear, I was able to test fit several brands of helmets before purchasing the Shoei. The most comfortable helmet I own is a half helmet made of carbon fiber (old Harley days) which offers little to no protection (in my opinion).

Good luck with your choice. As a side note and being brutally nosey (and curious)...why do you live in northern Norway?

Semper Fi

1 - 20 of 22 Posts