BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm a proud new owner of a pristine late 2012 K1600GT SE (my first ever BMW) :) I previously owned an 07 FJR and after a mammoth European trip, decided to trade it in. I've already racked up over 1200 miles in my first week of ownership and getting to know her better every ride. I am blown away with the features, that intoxicating engine and the suspension, she just glides over bumps ! For such a heavy bike I'm shocked how planted and agile it is compared to my FJR, my only issue is I'm not sure what to call her!

I've got a couple of small niggles I'd like to ask, firstly, when backing off the throttle there seems to be a point where the power just falls off a cliff and makes the bike unsettled - Is this normal? I'm getting more used to it and I've heard riding in Road mode helps. However it can be a little disconcerting at times. I've also noticed that in the morning when the engine is still cold, the bike hunts when idling, the engine purrs beautifully but tends to go up and down a few hundred revs if that makes sense.

My final question is, I like to do big miles. I managed to grab this beauty for 9 grand with full service history with only 13,000 miles. Are these bikes built to handle decent mileage? I've opted for a years warranty from the dealer.

Anyway enough of all that, here is a pic of my new K16:

Cheers all!

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Glad you're here. You mention the FJR but screen moniker includes VFR. I can't answer much about questions specific to the earlier versions of the K. Hopefully folks with experience chime in. I know there were some issues with the earlier bikes that were eventually resolved. Perhaps they were address on your bike by the previous owner. I have a local riding buddy with over 100k miles on his. Many guys put 50-80k miles on them and the pattern I see is keeping an extended warranty on them or trading them in for a bike with factory warranty. Depreciation is a pretty big hit so there are plenty of guys who just keep riding them. My impressions are that there aren't many bikes as reliable and solid as the FJR. But the QC on BMW is greatly improved. And the K isn't quite the quirky bike that some classic BMW's might have been. There are lots of good friendly folks willing to help on this forum and most of whom will simply out-ride casual motorcycle enthusiasts.

On a side note, I was away from bikes for many years. Honda's VFR got me interested again back in 2012 or so. Then I discovered the K16, but couldn't quite pull the trigger and ended up on a '14 FJR before the K in '18.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey all,

I'm a proud new owner of a pristine late 2012 K1600GT SE (my first ever BMW) :) I previously owned an 07 FJR and after a mammoth European trip, decided to trade it in. I've already racked up over 1200 miles in my first week of ownership and getting to know her better every ride. I am blown away with the features, that intoxicating engine and the suspension, she just glides over bumps ! For such a heavy bike I'm shocked how planted and agile it is compared to my FJR, my only issue is I'm not sure what to call her!

I've got a couple of small niggles I'd like to ask, firstly, when backing off the throttle there seems to be a point where the power just falls off a cliff and makes the bike unsettled - Is this normal? I'm getting more used to it and I've heard riding in Road mode helps. However it can be a little disconcerting at times. I've also noticed that in the morning when the engine is still cold, the bike hunts when idling, the engine purrs beautifully but tends to go up and down a few hundred revs if that makes sense.

My final question is, I like to do big miles. I managed to grab this beauty for 9 grand with full service history with only 13,000 miles. Are these bikes built to handle decent mileage? I've opted for a years warranty from the dealer.

Anyway enough of all that, here is a pic of my new K16:

Cheers all!
Welcome Steve,
I had a 2012 GT and had a couple of things sorted under warranty (switches and water pump) so hopefully your 2012 had these sorted as a lot of bikes did back then. It may be worth you asking for a printout of what updates/issues your bike has had when you next take it to the dealer for a service.
I can’t recall the issues you mention but I moved from a 2012 to a 2014 and then onto a 2017 and each time the bike has got better with extra features (see my signature)
You can search the forum by using the advanced search and search for ‘2012 issues’ - it May bring up something about the issues you are having.
You need to make three posts before you can make use of all the features on this forum.
Regards
Andy

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome along - enjoy your new ride.

Problem areas back in 2012, were several QC issues, all of which the mothership has pretty well sorted out by now, albeit a tad slowly at times. Hence the suggestion by Andy that you get your local dealer to run up a print of precisely what work has been undertaken, both under warranty/goodwill & during service.

Several issues were exposed by early adopters, most/all of which will have been sorted on your bike by now, including: -

Switch gear - both left & right suffered failed encapsulation/water ingress, which wasn't funny if the kill switch acted up.
Coolant pump - some weeped excessively & created coolant splatter as witness on the pipes.
Suspension Units - Front & rear damper failures were not uncommon.
Gearbox - Always a pretty clunky affair, but some suffered extreme lash in the transmission, which often meant a replacement gear cluster; hopefully under warranty as these didn't come cheap. 2014 saw improvements.
Piston Ringlands - several reports of piston failures detailed on the forum. Very unpredictable, possibly pre-ignition.
Corrosion - several mentions of engines being replaced due to excessive corrosion.
Coil Sticks - some failures, often on either No1 or 6 that are more exposed.
Cooling - some riders have experienced the red warning rather more often than they would wish. Sometimes it was the techs failing to burp the system at a coolant change, sometimes a dirty rad (lower third), sometimes it was just the bike expressing it's dislike of conditions, say slow mountain pass rides with little airflow. Cooling is a tad marginal given the engine design, rad size & single fan, so keep the rad scrupulously clean & maybe use a fender extender.

Otherwise, apart from eating the odd tyre, I think it important to maintain a decent warranty for at least a couple more years if possible. Parts/labour costs can get eye-watering, unless you are very handy with the spanners.

Looking at your questions, the throttle is something you need to just accommodate. It's an FBW system that can be a tad difficult to ride around at first. However, do make sure the cables are adjusted correctly. As for mileage, that's no problem, subject to strict maintenance of the service regime. I always like to check this out, particularly on low mileage bikes, just in case the regimes have been shall we say abbreviated - unlikely if you have a BMW used bike warranty running, as the franchised dealers tend to pass any questionable bikes into the trade. BTW, make sure you understand oil level checking - it is easy to overfill if not done correctly.

Have fun & run a few searches around the forum if you still have any areas of concern.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and all of the info, very informative, if a little scary what can go wrong with these bikes! :/

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and all of the info, very informative, if a little scary what can go wrong with these bikes! :/
Well you did ask; it's a big & complex machine. But panic not - all these issues tend to be historic QC problems that may, or may not, have troubled the previous owner/s, but should have been addressed years back if they ever emerged.

Anyway, that is the whole point of getting a detailed understanding of the history from your local BMW franchise dealer. I suggest you do this soonest, just to settle your mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers mate will do - In the service history I've noticed the switch gear has been replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just to add, 2500 miles later, the strange rev idling was due to a faulty cam sensor (replaced under warranty) - I've also noted the switch gear has been replaced, the transmission just feels like it's getting smoother and smoother, most likely me getting used to this beast. I can't believe how smooth this engine is, it's quite surreal when you're gliding along at speed. amazing.

Another pic of a blast around Derbyshire, UK

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum and K1600 ownership. I'm new here and originate from Saxilby Lincs. As you can imagine I was immediately suspicious of your photograph! Until you explained the Derbs location!
Due to work commitments I'm only 1400 miles into my 2019 GTLE ownership and have enjoyed every minute so far.
I'm now living on the edge of the Scottish highlands, one of the best biking playgrounds in the UK. I hope you remain trouble free, many have / do. As you can see if you do get into bother there are throngs of helpful experienced owners on hand to assist.:smile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum and K1600 ownership. I'm new here and originate from Saxilby Lincs. As you can imagine I was immediately suspicious of your photograph! Until you explained the Derbs location!
Due to work commitments I'm only 1400 miles into my 2019 GTLE ownership and have enjoyed every minute so far.
I'm now living on the edge of the Scottish highlands, one of the best biking playgrounds in the UK. I hope you remain trouble free, many have / do. As you can see if you do get into bother there are throngs of helpful experienced owners on hand to assist.:smile:
Apologies for my late reply, thankyou for your post, much appreciated. Great to see some other locals on here from around where I live :) I'm of course, EXTREMELY jealous of your playground up there. The NC500 is just one of biking's best kept secrets. (although perhaps not so much these days)

This forum seems like a great place with a wealth of information. 3000 miles now in less than 2 months, it's such a smoothie and the way she handles is like a dream, I've no idea how it's so light considering this thing is heavier than my previous FJR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts