BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, haven't owned a BMW for awhile, last bike being my 1200S years ago. Picked up a 2018 Grand America and so far loving almost all of it! I have however encounter something I wasn't aware of until I took it on the interstate. I picked it up on Wednesday (last week) and immediately on Saturday headed to Deals Gap about 650 miles away. I needed a sticker for it, you know...

Ok Long first post so got some questions, some observances and thoughts...

The first stretch was sketchy. This bike doesn't like dirty air or cross winds at 70+mph. Now I've had about 10 Goldwings including 2 of the new ones, and I have to say it's more planted on the interstate and moves a LOT less than the GA. That wiggle can be down right unsettling. I also learned suspension settings can settle things down a bit but not take them away entirely. At first I had it set to rider with luggage, that raised it up a bit to much causing it to wobble very very very easily. To the point I wouldn't barely take a hand off the bars to scratch my nose. After some changes to that, switching to Rider only and Road/Road it seemed to be a good compromise of comfort and less wobble. Even with a semi a couple hundred yards ahead the dirty air even that far away starts the wiggle. As mentioned my Goldwings barely ever noticed, nor did my Indian Road Master or my Victory Vision's. They were all rock solid compared to the GA the GA dances around like a squirrel on crack on the interstate. Even my buddy asked me if I was alright because the bike was moving around so much. Even my Triumph Tiger 1200 is dead steady at 80mph, nothing seems to upset that thing.

As these things tend to happen I think I stumbled on a fix completely by accident. I do believe part of the issue is geometry, the bike is amazing in the corners, but so were all my supersports and they did fine on the interstate. I will say the trunk seems to have a big part of it. Today I rode to Daytona to Corbin to get a new seat (topic for another thread of course). Well to get my old seat home I bungee chorded it the passenger seat. Happens it sticks out passed each side of the trunk. Amazingly with the air being deflected well around the trunk and not being able to close in behind it and push the front around the bike was perfectly stable and smooth at any speed going by any vehicle and in clean or dirty air and never wobbled or wiggled or otherwise made me feel uncomfortable the entire way home. I could run 75mph with two fingers on the bar and not worry a bit. It was NOT that way on the way up, a few times I had to straighten it out as it was getting a bit dodgy.

Now we can't ride with a seat strapped to the passenger area all the time so I think I'm going to experiment with some polycarbonate wind deflectors that I can bolt on to the trunk that will push the air out far enough to keep it from collapsing behind the trunk and creating all that turbulence that pushes the bike around.

Other than that and the lack of bluetooth connectivity for my phone (really BMW a $100 pigtail connector come on the Goldwing has Apple Car Play and it is awesome), I'm really enjoying the bike a lot. The power is great, until you hit 100 of course then it's like you hit a wall LOL. The headlights are amazing and I love the quick shifter, even though the clutch can't seem to make up it's mind on engagement, sometimes it's immediate, sometimes it's at the very end of the lever sometimes it's in the middle. Not sure what all that is about but I'm learning. The gauges look super cool at night, storage is really good, I'm short so low seat height is also great! Love the all black look and think it's just a pretty bike overall.

I wanted to try something different and I've had my eye on these for awhile now. As mentioned I'm normally a GoldWing fanboy because for touring it's just **** good. And I have my Tiger which actually is also pretty great even if it's a bit tall and I'm a bit short.

If anyone has any input on the Wobble and solutions Im all ears, or the clutch thing. The clutch seems to reset when I go to neutral for some reason. Not sure. Other wise love any any suggestions y'all might have!

Thanks for reading

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
As these things tend to happen I think I stumbled on a fix completely by accident. I do believe part of the issue is geometry, the bike is amazing in the corners, but so were all my supersports and they did fine on the interstate. I will say the trunk seems to have a big part of it. Today I rode to Daytona to Corbin to get a new seat (topic for another thread of course). Well to get my old seat home I bungee chorded it the passenger seat. Happens it sticks out passed each side of the trunk. Amazingly with the air being deflected well around the trunk and not being able to close in behind it and push the front around the bike was perfectly stable and smooth at any speed going by any vehicle and in clean or dirty air and never wobbled or wiggled or otherwise made me feel uncomfortable the entire way home. I could run 75mph with two fingers on the bar and not worry a bit. It was NOT that way on the way up, a few times I had to straighten it out as it was getting a bit dodgy.
On my RT I had to run a small bag between me and the top case - solved the problem 100%.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That is why they limited the speed on the GA. I was told the floor boards and the trunk.
Wondering if AeroFlow, Corp. would help?
Btw, you can get the connector at ebay or Amazon, just look up for one the Mini Cooper.

·
Outta This World
2,014 Posts
There are many threads on why the GA is worse than the B or GT/GTL in dirty air. Here , Here , and Here are examples. IMO the location of the trunk is the main culprit and why the B and B/GA act differently (by numerous reports) in dirty air. The GA has the trunk and panniers hanging out further back than they do on the GTL. The other big difference is the angle of the panniers as the GTL bags angle up whereas the B and B/GA bags angle down. Presumably the GTL makes some downforce in the back, the GA not so much. You may want to look into one of the windshields with the cutout like the Cal Sci or Wunderlich. The Cal Sci creates a hard edge in the airflow just over your helmet and somewhat fills the bubble behind the shield with smooth air. This helps to eliminate back pressure on a GTL and certainly could not hurt on a GA. If you are going to play with airflow, you probably don't want to do anything that would make the top bag 'wider' (wings deflecting to the sides), you probably want to either increase downforce or simply disrupt airflow but I think the biggest problem is the pressure on the front face of the topbox. You already anecdotally have some experience with this from strapping the seat on the bike so you may want to concentrate your efforts on the airflow coming from the front of the bike (as opposed to trying to address the back).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi folks, haven't owned a BMW for awhile, last bike being my 1200S years ago. Picked up a 2018 Grand America and so far loving almost all of it! I have however encounter something I wasn't aware of until I took it on the interstate. I picked it up on Wednesday (last week) and immediately on Saturday headed to Deals Gap about 650 miles away. I needed a sticker for it, you know...

Ok Long first post so got some questions, some observances and thoughts...

The first stretch was sketchy. This bike doesn't like dirty air or cross winds at 70+mph. Now I've had about 10 Goldwings including 2 of the new ones, and I have to say it's more planted on the interstate and moves a LOT less than the GA. That wiggle can be down right unsettling. I also learned suspension settings can settle things down a bit but not take them away entirely. At first I had it set to rider with luggage, that raised it up a bit to much causing it to wobble very very very easily. To the point I wouldn't barely take a hand off the bars to scratch my nose. After some changes to that, switching to Rider only and Road/Road it seemed to be a good compromise of comfort and less wobble. Even with a semi a couple hundred yards ahead the dirty air even that far away starts the wiggle. As mentioned my Goldwings barely ever noticed, nor did my Indian Road Master or my Victory Vision's. They were all rock solid compared to the GA the GA dances around like a squirrel on crack on the interstate. Even my buddy asked me if I was alright because the bike was moving around so much. Even my Triumph Tiger 1200 is dead steady at 80mph, nothing seems to upset that thing.

Now we can't ride with a seat strapped to the passenger area all the time so I think I'm going to experiment with some polycarbonate wind deflectors that I can bolt on to the trunk that will push the air out far enough to keep it from collapsing behind the trunk and creating all that turbulence that pushes the bike around.

Other than that and the lack of bluetooth connectivity for my phone (really BMW a $100 pigtail connector come on the Goldwing has Apple Car Play and it is awesome), I'm really enjoying the bike a lot. The power is great, until you hit 100 of course then it's like you hit a wall LOL. The headlights are amazing and I love the quick shifter, even though the clutch can't seem to make up it's mind on engagement, sometimes it's immediate, sometimes it's at the very end of the lever sometimes it's in the middle. Not sure what all that is about but I'm learning. The gauges look super cool at night, storage is really good, I'm short so low seat height is also great! Love the all black look and think it's just a pretty bike overall.

I wanted to try something different and I've had my eye on these for awhile now. As mentioned I'm normally a GoldWing fanboy because for touring it's just **** good. And I have my Tiger which actually is also pretty great even if it's a bit tall and I'm a bit short.

If anyone has any input on the Wobble and solutions Im all ears, or the clutch thing. The clutch seems to reset when I go to neutral for some reason. Not sure. Other wise love any any suggestions y'all might have!

Thanks for reading

Bill

I think you nailed it with the airflow dynamics, the load settings, and just for giggles next time you feel the wobble lean your shoulders forward placing more of your upper body weight on the front wheels and your feet on the foot pegs off the foot boards. See if that does anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts