BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
62 miles
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just registered for this forum as I have just (today) picked up my BMW K1600B. 2019 model in a midnight blue. Only rode it home from the dealership and so far soooooo happy. I traded in my 2012 Honda st1300 Pan European which looked after me for a number of years throughout the UK and travelling France and Spain, hopefully the “bagger” will do the same for me. I do have a question which hopefully someone can answer. The DIN socket on the right hand fairing, can that be used to plug a trickle charger into, the dealer said it could but I thought I would ask. Thank you and here is hoping for many many happy miles.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Fuel tank Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Premium Member
197 Posts
Hi, I have just registered for this forum as I have just (today) picked up my BMW K1600B. 2019 model in a midnight blue. Only rode it home from the dealership and so far soooooo happy. I traded in my 2012 Honda st1300 Pan European which looked after me for a number of years throughout the UK and travelling France and Spain, hopefully the “bagger” will do the same for me. I do have a question which hopefully someone can answer. The DIN socket on the right hand fairing, can that be used to plug a trickle charger into, the dealer said it could but I thought I would ask. Thank you and here is hoping for many many happy miles. View attachment 172740
View attachment 172741
Welcome to the forum from close neighbour in Ireland…congratulations bike Looks Awesome,ride safe.

· May My Blackberry Rest In Peace
4,596 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Welcome from Canada.

The side DIN can be used to charge the bike but you need a special charger that knows ho to keep the socket alive. BMW automatically cuts power to the socket after a few minutes so the charger needs to trick the ECU into keeping the circuit open.

· Premium Member
2018 K1600GT Opt 719 Blue Planet Metallic
3,732 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10340 mi
Congrats and welcome from Kansas City!

· Registered
4 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
62 miles
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome from Canada.

The side DIN can be used to charge the bike but you need a special charger that knows ho to keep the socket alive. BMW automatically cuts power to the socket after a few minutes so the charger needs to trick the ECU into keeping the circuit open.
Thanks for the info and the wewlcome. Would the BMW specific trickle charger do as you describe

· Registered
'13 K1600GT, '17 Bonneville T120
207 Posts
Hi, I have just registered for this forum as I have just (today) picked up my BMW K1600B. 2019 model in a midnight blue. Only rode it home from the dealership and so far soooooo happy. I traded in my 2012 Honda st1300 Pan European which looked after me for a number of years throughout the UK and travelling France and Spain, hopefully the “bagger” will do the same for me. I do have a question which hopefully someone can answer. The DIN socket on the right hand fairing, can that be used to plug a trickle charger into, the dealer said it could but I thought I would ask. Thank you and here is hoping for many many happy miles. View attachment 172740
View attachment 172741
Welcome from Texas!

4,596 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Thanks for the info and the wewlcome. Would the BMW specific trickle charger do as you describe
Yes or the Optimate at a much cheaper price. Just make sure you get the proper Optimate charger since they have a few models.

Most of us attach an SAE plug directly to the battery and charge through that. It is what I use too.

· Registered
2015 K1600GT SE 2021 R18FE Classic
22 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
18000m
Yes or the Optimate at a much cheaper price. Just make sure you get the proper Optimate charger since they have a few models.

Most of us attach an SAE plug directly to the battery and charge through that. It is what I use too.
Welcome from chilly Lancing. Whereabouts in the UK are you?
I use the Optimate 4 that deals with Canbus no probs. I’ve had it a while & used it on a Honda Crosstourer, BMW R1200R LC via the DIN socket, my current 2015 K1600GT (occasionally as I ride year round) via the DIN socket & my current BMW R18 Classic via the DIN. Direct to the battery is great & often a more secure connection.
Cheers. Paul

4,596 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Welcome from chilly Lancing. Whereabouts in the UK are you?
I use the Optimate 4 that deals with Canbus no probs. I’ve had it a while & used it on a Honda Crosstourer, BMW R1200R LC via the DIN socket, my current 2015 K1600GT (occasionally as I ride year round) via the DIN socket & my current BMW R18 Classic via the DIN. Direct to the battery is great & often a more secure connection.
Cheers. Paul
I am in the second best London. Thanks for asking :)

· Premium Member
197 Posts
Thank you all for your welcome and Prince for your advice. I think BMW make a specific trickle charger do I presume correctly that would do as you describe
[/QUOTE
The BMW charger didn’t work for me,even though it was reading fully charged, the battery was still unable to start the bike.
I ditched it and bought the opitimate 5,I decided to go a little stronger with the 5.
Never had any more issues.
But the Optimate 4 is recommended.

· Boom
871 Posts
Welcome from Colorado. Congrats on the new ride!

Reactions: MisWot

· Premium Member
1,169 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
7100 Mi
View attachment 172741
Congrats on the new purchase, you didn't say what part of the country. I'm in Windsor, Bahnstormer is my local dealer.

The BMW charger plugs into both sockets for trickle charging as do after market chargers.

If you're looking around for a new charger, I would love to find one that simultaneously charges the bike and has 2 USB ports for the helmets.

Let me know if you find anything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts