BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Fraser MacWilliams from New Brunswick Canada. I just recently bought my first BMW motorcycle 2018 BMW K1600 GTL. I have approximately 900 km on it as of now and I really enjoyed riding it. I’ve owned Harley Davison‘s for 35 years British motorcycle before that 72 Norton. I currently still own two vintage Harley Davidson’s a 1942 knucklehead and a 1965 Panhead. And now I am at a BMW enthusiast. Traded in my 2006 FLHTCUSE for the BMW. I’m sure I will have lots of dumb questions as I like to do my own maintenance work. I have been reading on your forum for a week or so and there seems to be a lot of information posted without having to ask any questions so far.
Stay tuned LOL

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Earthling, Thanks, No questions yet. Hopefully you were too far SW of Ottawa to get hit by Fridays Tornado.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Watch out.. the canucks are slowly taking over... Welcome Fraser...

enjoy the new to you whip......

ahhhhhh New Brunswick.. home sweet home.... Grew up in Oromocto, University in Fredericton... Summers lifeguarding at Parlee Beach, and terrorizing Moncton....

Good Times.
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
You mentioned that you do your own maintenance so I hope you have seen the oil change threads. In addition to the plug at the main oil pan, there is another plug at the crank case up inside that needs to be removed to drain all the oil. This plug is prone to falling off you removal tool if you are not careful. Fortunately, a member here designed and sells a "super plug" that accepts a 1/4" socket extension. The extension remains in the plug until you pull it off. This save the headache of fishing around inside the pan for the original plug if it falls off your tool. The Super plug is a must have for K1600 owners that change their own oil. Look up RL Lemke on this forum and place your order. It's cheap and effective.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. We can help with that ;)

Welcome!

·
Q
5,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike.

My bit of advise is.. read your owners manual on how to check your oil. The process is quite different than any other motorcycle you've owned in the past. If it's not done correctly (as per the manual) you will think it's low and put more oil into it when it's not needed.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info Charlie I seen about the 2 plugs on youtube. I magnetized a 5MM hex wrench getting ready for the oil change. I will look at the super plug. Plus I ordered a GS-911 wifi to reset service light plus other things. Switching to Amsoil in the engine and drive. I've read a few threads about speaker upgrades but haven't read anything yet that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling yet.I would appreciate any input beside BT earphones in the helmet which I already have.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey Scrnprntr,I attended UNB in '79 Engineering but didn't finish. Went into the trades.
Love the t-shirt btw.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike.

My bit of advise is.. read your owners manual on how to check your oil. The process is quite different than any other motorcycle you've owned in the past. If it's not done correctly (as per the manual) you will think it's low and put more oil into it when it's not needed.
Everyone on the forum will second that. And related, changing the oil is also very different.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum! Make yourself at home and enjoy as many miles as you can before winter sets in.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome Fraser!
Love your province - always have!
Sorry for the late reply.Just seen your post.Thanks Bobby. I'm moved to Ottawa last summer. All new roads to get familiar with. Love it. Love New England riding and miss it this year.:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts