BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2019 demo unit. Put 1700 miles on it getting home, from Alabama to Texas. Some of my initial random thoughts.

Need to recalibrate my brain as to what high rpms should sound like. Having come from V-Twins/cruisers, I have to keep telling myself its ok for this high-strung engine, in 4th and 3,500 rpm, to sound like a F15 awaiting catapult release. And I keep trying to find that elusive 7th gear.

4th gear is a hoot thru twisties…lots of low to high speed range.

As many have commented in other threads, the audio is not the best. And I’m surprised one can’t simply connect phone via Bluetooth and stream. The audio system seems to be 10 years behind the times. (and my preset memory function doesn’t work)

Absolutely need to raise that shifter peg (I’m not a ballet dancer...you know, the pointed toes). On my GS I just cut off 1/4” at each end of the linkage rod, and done. I’ve read here things are a bit more complicated with GT. Will do more research.

The quick shifter is an engineering marvel.

I will eventually drag my boot across the top of the right or left side case. Will be looking at 3M clear protective film to apply to top of luggage cases and maybe sides of fuel tank. I would prefer to buy pre-cut film but appears no one sells that for the GT.

The stock seat is pretty good, for me at least. I did get a little numb-butt, but very acceptable as compared to stock GS and Harley seats.

It is a fantastic motorcycle.

IMG_0272.JPG

·
Registered
793 Posts
Welcome! I remember test riding an identical looking GT. Very nice bike.

As you become more familiar with your GT, you'll probably spend more time in 3rd gear above 4500 RPMs for serious twisty runs. You're not going to hurt the engine. About the only time I'm at 3500 RPMs for any length of time is in 6th gear when I'm taking it easy on desolate interstates. Regardless, you'll find your RPM happy spot in the different gears.

Enjoy the GT.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Welcome aboard! I have the exact same bike as you and share simalar thoughts. I've asked the dealer to adjust the shifter a bit at next service and they did not think it would be a big deal. I've found I've adjusted to it though and it's not as much of a problem now. I live and ride in a big city so do a LOT of shifting. As far as scuffing up the panniers, Yup I'm guilty of it often. So far no problem rubbing the rubber scuffs but some protective film is a good idea.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Welcome aboard. There are recut panels for the K16.....just don’t remember who makes them. I made my own. Enjoy the ride

·
International Man of Mystery
3,414 Posts
Welcome to the club. Great break in ride you had.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I will eventually drag my boot across the top of the right or left side case. Will be looking at 3M clear protective film to apply to top of luggage cases and maybe sides of fuel tank. I would prefer to buy pre-cut film but appears no one sells that for the GT.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new ride...check out the Tankslapper for your film. Many of us have used this film on our bike to include myself. I took my bike to the location since he is near me. He (Lucas) has worked on and/or sent materials to many K bike owners. I think you will be pleased.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Enjoy the bike. It really is fun. With an arthritic right knee, I sometimes manage to scrape the side cases also. I don't even fret them anymore, they buff out when I wash the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new ride...check out the Tankslapper for your film. Many of us have used this film on our bike to include myself. I took my bike to the location since he is near me. He (Lucas) has worked on and/or sent materials to many K bike owners. I think you will be pleased.

Oh ****. Good prices. I think I'll order the full set. Certainly worth the investment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

The Tankslapper model year goes up to 2018 only. Can I presume, from a die cut standpoint, there is no difference between 2018 and 2019 models? Never mind. Sent this question to Tankslapper...

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
He can do the 2019. I saw your color scheme GT in his garage after he completed my work. He told me the bike was a 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
KBiK
1,559 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your K1600GT.

I have the older, faster, 2015 K1600GT :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:.

I also reside in Texas. Don’t be confused by the Canadian flag under my avatar as that is just there to confuse everyone.

Reactions: JoeP

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your K1600GT.

I have the older, faster, 2015 K1600GT :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:.

I also reside in Texas. Don’t be confused by the Canadian flag under my avatar as that is just there to confuse everyone.
Andy,
See if Prince can add Old Glory and the Union Jack in your avatar.

·
KBiK
1,559 Posts
Andy,
See if Prince can add Old Glory and the Union Jack in your avatar.
Sure Jim, then everybody would have some reason to take offense at my 2c posts! :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

Go for it Paul @Prince !

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome, and great idea with the films. Something to investigate.

Reactions: Dirty Dan

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Tankslapper model year goes up to 2018 only. Can I presume, from a die cut standpoint, there is no difference between 2018 and 2019 models? Never mind. Sent this question to Tankslapper...
Just make sure you order the good stuff (high end kit) from Slapper, not their cheap kit.

·
KBiK
1,559 Posts
If you are worried about scratches on your pannier bags from your boots, forget about it. Stand on the pegs and swing your leg over!

However I do recommend the first mod you do is to install a front engine guard, and rear pannier guards. As @Donna ‘s latest physics post has proved, when a K1600 is going to tip over, you just need to get out of the way!

If you are going to add any electrical farkles, I would recommend you add a power distribution module (FuzeBlock, PDM60, Neutrino). Once installed, adding any electronic farkle avoids interacting with the CanBUS system.

Reactions: Dirty Dan
1 - 20 of 32 Posts