BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you are worried about scratches on your pannier bags from your boots, forget about it. Stand on the pegs and swing your leg over!

However I do recommend the first mod you do is to install a front engine guard, and rear pannier guards. As @Donna ‘s latest physics post has proved, when a K1600 is going to tip over, you just need to get out of the way!

If you are going to add any electrical farkles, I would recommend you add a power distribution module (FuzeBlock, PDM60, Neutrino). Once installed, adding any electronic farkle avoids interacting with the CanBUS system.
That’s how I do it..stand on foot peg and swing over. However, after a long tiring ride I know, from experience, that may not always be successful! I ordered the full Tankslapper kit today. And I ordered the front and rear guards(ilium) while enroute back to TX. Hope this gets me pretty well set up, for the time being. No electrical gizmos in the “want” list yet.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
The Tankslapper model year goes up to 2018 only. Can I presume, from a die cut standpoint, there is no difference between 2018 and 2019 models? Never mind. Sent this question to Tankslapper...
Hey Dan, Lucas (Tankslapper) just text me. I text him yesterday and told him I gave him a referral. States he cannot reach you, the email and number you gave him is not working...? He asked if I had your contact info. Told him the forum was the only way I could reach you. He has a question for you re your GT. He is asking that you contact him again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey Dan, Lucas (Tankslapper) just text me. I text him yesterday and told him I gave him a referral. States he cannot reach you, the email and number you gave him is not working...? He asked if I had your contact info. Told him the forum was the only way I could reach you. He has a question for you re your GT. He is asking that you contact him again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. Kinda strange that I got email order confirmation, to my email address of course, and my phone number is in the confirmation. I’ll reach out to him tomorrow.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Picked up a 2019 demo unit. Put 1700 miles on it getting home, from Alabama to Texas. Some of my initial random thoughts.

Need to recalibrate my brain as to what high rpms should sound like. Having come from V-Twins/cruisers, I have to keep telling myself its ok for this high-strung engine, in 4th and 3,500 rpm, to sound like a F15 awaiting catapult release. And I keep trying to find that elusive 7th gear.

4th gear is a hoot thru twisties…lots of low to high speed range.

As many have commented in other threads, the audio is not the best. And I’m surprised one can’t simply connect phone via Bluetooth and stream. The audio system seems to be 10 years behind the times. (and my preset memory function doesn’t work)

Absolutely need to raise that shifter peg (I’m not a ballet dancer...you know, the pointed toes). On my GS I just cut off 1/4” at each end of the linkage rod, and done. I’ve read here things are a bit more complicated with GT. Will do more research.

The quick shifter is an engineering marvel.

I will eventually drag my boot across the top of the right or left side case. Will be looking at 3M clear protective film to apply to top of luggage cases and maybe sides of fuel tank. I would prefer to buy pre-cut film but appears no one sells that for the GT.

The stock seat is pretty good, for me at least. I did get a little numb-butt, but very acceptable as compared to stock GS and Harley seats.

It is a fantastic motorcycle.

View attachment 146498
I don't swing a leg over the bike, instead I step on the foot peg, either side. and put the weight of my upper body right over the center line of the bike (more so if getting on the right side of the bike, the motorcycle cop way), stand up and easily get my leg over and not come close to the panniers. I did add a wider plate to the side stand.
For occasional kicks I take it over 7000 rpm on an on-ramp. Great sound and, boost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up a 2019 demo unit. Put 1700 miles on it getting home, from Alabama to Texas. Some of my initial random thoughts.

Need to recalibrate my brain as to what high rpms should sound like. Having come from V-Twins/cruisers, I have to keep telling myself its ok for this high-strung engine, in 4th and 3,500 rpm, to sound like a F15 awaiting catapult release. And I keep trying to find that elusive 7th gear.

As many have commented in other threads, the audio is not the best. And I’m surprised one can’t simply connect phone via Bluetooth and stream. The audio system seems to be 10 years behind the times. (and my preset memory function doesn’t work)

Absolutely need to raise that shifter peg (I’m not a ballet dancer...you know, the pointed toes). On my GS I just cut off 1/4” at each end of the linkage rod, and done. I’ve read here things are a bit more complicated with GT. Will do more research.

I will eventually drag my boot across the top of the right or left side case. Will be looking at 3M clear protective film to apply to top of luggage cases and maybe sides of fuel tank. I would prefer to buy pre-cut film but appears no one sells that for the GT.

The stock seat is pretty good, for me at least. I did get a little numb-butt, but very acceptable as compared to stock GS and Harley seats.

It is a fantastic motorcy

View attachment 146498
YES, it's an AWESOME motorcycle. Always remember to smile for the camera. BTW, F-15s do not launch off Navy carriers.

·
Upside Down
1,491 Posts
Dan welcome from Australia, enjoy your fantastic GT and be safe. Also welcome to one of the best forums around with lots of fantastic members willing to help where ever and when ever they can.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts

View attachment 146498
Welcome, and beautiful bike!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Dan welcome from Australia, enjoy your fantastic GT and be safe. Also welcome to one of the best forums around with lots of fantastic members willing to help where ever and when ever they can.
Thank you. Back in time when I worked for a living I had the pleasure to travel to Austraila several times. I regret I never got to venture out of Sydney and explore a bit of your country. (I thought about renting a bike but wasn't sure I could master riding other side of road before getting killed.) But Sydney was great and the same for it's people. Got drunk with total strangers one night!🍺 Still have many friends there. Lovely country.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts