BMW K1600 Forum banner

401 - 420 of 448 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Thought I read in this thread, before I did the install, about the bolt heads rubbing the cables and a suggestion for bolt head covers. Just went through this whole thread and did not see the post. Has anyone covered the bolt heads for the risers with something softer, so the cables do not rub through over time? Might be overkill, but bolt head caps are a lot cheaper than cables, especially when considering the labor.

Was considering something like these for the M8 hex bolt heads: https://www.vital-parts.co.uk/domed-nut--bolt-caps-320-p.asp

Not sure how well these would stay on the bolts, with these being inverted + the cables rubbing the caps. Anyone implemented a solution that works well?

Update: the bolt caps do not stay on. First time these get bumped by the wiring and cables these are meant to protect, they fall off and are gone. Was thinking about a plastic-metal bonding epoxy, but that may make it a PITA to ever take the bolts out for any kind of service or repair.

Anyone else come up with a solution?

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Update: the bolt caps do not stay on. First time these get bumped by the wiring and cables these are meant to protect, they fall off and are gone. Was thinking about a plastic-metal bonding epoxy, but that may make it a PITA to ever take the bolts out for any kind of service or repair.

Anyone else come up with a solution?
You can replace the hex head bolts with socket head cap screws (round head).
Size needed would be 8mm x 1.25mm x 20mm long.

The hex head bolts make it easy to get a wrench on them to check tightness later on.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ordered and received my risers in just a couple of days, thanks for being so on top of it. I only had one issue when I was installing the risers, which was a tab on each side of the electronics box that blocked my T40 Torx bit...I ground it off with my Dremmel cut-off wheel.. I sure hope those things aren't important. I couldn't see any use for them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Ordered and received my risers in just a couple of days, thanks for being so on top of it. I only had one issue when I was installing the risers, which was a tab on each side of the electronics box that blocked my T40 Torx bit...I ground it off with my Dremmel cut-off wheel.. I sure hope those things aren't important. I couldn't see any use for them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Bump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Installed my risers yesterday on my '16 GTLE.
Brake line is a bit too tight for my taste at full lock right.

Is this the product you recommend from Heli?

https://www.helibars.com/products/Hydraulic-Line-Extension-%252d-5-1%7B47%7D8-inch-%2813cm%29-length/618.html

My concern with the part above is two-fold.

1. it's quite a bit longer than it needs to be, there might be too much slack causing the brake line to interfere with steering.
2. That particular part looks like it would introduce a 90 degree angle into the brake line. This part:

https://bmwmotorcycleaccessories.com/brake-line-extension-hose-for-handlebar-risers-and-barback-100mm/
would not

Thanks,
Frank

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Frank I have done at least 10 installs at my house. Never needed a brake line extension. So I have never installed one. Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe a member that has used an extension will chime in. Use the shortest one that will work for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Received and installed

Risers were shipped promptly, and arrived quickly. I appreciated the high level of craftsmanship that went into these. They installed easily, and the provided instructions were very helpful (the required torque for the 6 bolts tightening the bars to the riser would be a great addition).

All in all a great product that provides a great solution!
Thanks, Jim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
Risers

Risers were shipped promptly, and arrived quickly. I appreciated the high level of craftsmanship that went into these. They installed easily, and the provided instructions were very helpful (the required torque for the 6 bolts tightening the bars to the riser would be a great addition).

Thanks, Jim.
Thanks NLDoc for your feedback on the riser install !

·
Registered
127 Posts

Thanks, Jim.
I installed the risers from Jim last month and my experience mirrors yours. I used a mild thread locker (blue) on the 6 bolts you are referring to and torqued them to around 15 Nm;

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
next to leaving the Diva home,, shedding the top box and saddle bags.... Adding Jim's bar risers, setting the throttle at Dynamic, suspension in sport mode... filling the bitch with 93 octane... nothing is better......

I M H O

good job Jim........

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, I see a corrupted link on pg 1, and mention of an improved link but can’t find it. Could you post another link to pics of the risers?

401 - 420 of 448 Posts