BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m from a small town in Wisconsin, and I just bought a 2012 K1600GTL with 22k on it, in winter, no less! I’ve been fixing the few things I’ve noticed, and have ridden it for a few days now, and all I can say is, wow, I love this thing! I have had a couple of bikes in the past (all old Japanese bikes). I also still have a 1980 Yamaha XS-1100SG that is still going strong since I restored it.

I have to say, thanks for putting together the guide for a much more reasonably priced alternative to the GS-911! It’s working great so far, since I tend to do my own work.

I do have a couple of questions though:

My key fob seems weak in the range department, even after a battery change. Any tips?

Any ideas on modernizing the phone harness in the right storage compartment to play nice with modern iPhones? I can fit my phone in the compartment, but I can’t get my iPhone 11 Pro to run in iPod mode when plugged into usb. From the docs, I need to connect to both the USB and AUX. My phone has no headphone jack. Any workarounds?

Helmet storage: What’s the verdict on the best way to do this? The locks on the end of the grips, a cable lock through the rear handgrips, or another way?

Thanks, I’ll keep utilizing the search function and maybe I’ll be able to help when I get this thing all figured out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Congratulations on the bike, once you get a taste of that power, there's no going back.

With regard to helmet storage: a helmet fits fine in either the side case, and usually the top case. Is there a reason you wouldn't want to just put it in one of the cases? I've never been a big fan of leaving my helmet out, locked up or not.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I have a modular helmet that won’t fit in any of the cases. It’s so close... but not quite.

Thanks, though!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I have a modular helmet that won’t fit in any of the cases. It’s so close... but not quite.

Thanks, though!
Really?? My Schuberth modular C4 won't fit in the top case, but will fit in the sides.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, thanks! I’ve got a Bell SRT modular. Apparently the he shell is huge (or my head is). No chance in the top case and I actually thought I had less chance in the side cases. I’ll have to check again if I can Tetris it into the side cases somehow. I appreciate all the help, and if I can’t make it fit, maybe I can find a helmet with a smaller shell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My old bikes always had a hook that you ran through the d rings to lock it to the frame. I was surprised to see that was not the case here.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Welcome from Colorado Springs. I grew up on the west side of Milwaukee.

I was initially putting my Arai Signet-X in the top case, but I had to angle it a certain particular way to get the lid closed and it is pretty much a guarantee the top of the lid will contact the helmet. With the contemplation of purchasing a new helmet, I went looking for other options. I think there is a lot of personal preference when it comes to securing helmets. Here are a few threads on the topic:

Helmet Locks

Helmet Locks?

Best Way to Secure a Helmet

Anyone added a helmet lock?

Helmet locks for bike

I was initially drawn to the lidlox system for the end of the handlebar solutions, but then came across the Sato Racing option, discussed in the last thread, and I went that route. If you read through these threads, you will get what people like and don't like on each of the discussed options and you can pick out what you think might work best for you.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!

I use this to lock the helmet on the motorcycle.
Impenetrable.

Joe

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!

I use this to lock the helmet on the motorcycle.
Impenetrable.

Joe
There's a 24 foot version of this...in case you are riding with friends and want to lock up helmets for the whole group :LOL:

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
I set my helmet on one of the mirrors. If I want to lock it I run a short bicycle cable lock (or the kind that comes with Ruger pistols) through the chin guard and the gap in the mirror stalk. It's worked for me for almost 8 years now.

As far as your iPhone hook up if you are just wanting to access your music I would suggest getting an older iPod that has the 2 input ports and the proper 2 piece cable or just use a USB thumb drive to store music on.

If you want to use your phone for making calls you will have to use one of the many Bluetooth setups found here on the forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try laying the helmet on it's side on the top case. I know that trick works if you are only storing one helmet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts