BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to the bmw motorcycle world but not to riding since i have been riding form the age of 16 harleys mainly however i moved over to the bmw world this year after riding the 1600 gtl fell in love with the power the handling and mainly the price for the amount of money i paid for the 1600 there would be no way i could have gotten 160 hp from the cvo harley. however after looking at the bike closer you notice that you do give up a lot to be where you are with this bike. what you save in the price you pay dearly for add-ons from pipes to foot pegs floor boards. you name it its $$$$$ if you drop your bike and break a mirror cover its 150.00 or so some one hits it and it breaks the tabs its 150.00 to replace it ouch!!!
now after putting 700 miles on it I have noticed that the sound is fair less than i would have expected from a company that is know for quality BMW.
so the question is what is the answer in replacing the speaker system and the amp to increase the sound and quality at speed? also just one more even the more i would really like someone to really tell me why even a bolt costs 54.00 just to hold a phone mount?

·
Scammer Hammer
2,898 Posts
The sound system at speed is poor anyways. Many of us bluetooth to our helmets and use a Sena or Cardo unit. Or bluetooth your tunes from your phone to the helmet.

Welcome to the forum. If you do a search you will find some posts about how to improve the sound.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Since you are familiar with H-D, you know that means Hundred Dollars. BMW means Bring More Wallet. Nothing is cheap, hope it's not cheaply made. If the bolt you are referring to is from Wunderlich, it's all stainless and doesn't include the phone mount. That's big money. I don't believe I've ever had the radio on my 2020 on. I use a Sena headset linked to my phone for music on Pandora. There may be ways to upgrade the sound. I bet you already know it's going to be costly!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome! The speakers are to show ppl in the driveway or in town side streets (and to check a box as having it), switch to helmet after that otherwise you'll drive yourself mad and broke trying to fix the speakers, BT, and amp performance. Ok exaggerating a bit here. I guess they figure the ppl who buy the BMW aren't wanting to blast the radio at speed...or they were just saving money by not putting better amp/speakers in. I switched the speakers out for pretty cheap but might have gotten a 10% increase in loudness and clarity...after that it get much more expensive. I have given up on the system except for showing ppl it has it.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
301 Posts
The speakers are complete garbage and not much you can do to remedy the situation but I did read somewhere about a rider that ripped out the BMW speakers and replaced them with something of much better quality. With my GTLE if I raised the windscreen a little I could listen to the radio at highway speeds.

·
Upside Down
2,029 Posts
First of all. welcome from the Australian side of the forum. As for the BMW stereo system is has always been crap. you will have much finer results from a Cardo system or Sena as mentioned above. I use the Cardo because it is easy to use and better speakers but that's a personal thing. After 12 years of production of the K 1600 and the RT, the ears at BMW are still deaf regarding their crappy radio. stereo system. Don't waste your time or effort or money trying to improve it when you can just buy the blue tooth systems mentioned.
Good luck enjoy what otherwise is an excellent bike.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There is a thread on here from a Russian fellow that has the ultimate Radio setup.

Most BMW guys don’t really care about the quality of the music more into the ride of the machine And smoothness of the motor.

I personally just stream the music to my Cardo JBL helmet speakers and that’s good enough For me.

Like you I own a Harley the BMW is a totally different experience.

Ian

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you do not mind wearing wired ear buds get an Audio Bridge that taps into your speakers and you can switch back and forth between external speakers or use the earbuds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts