BMW K1600 Forum banner

New R1250RT or maybe K16 ?

11K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  FirstBMWfirstBagger 
#1 ·
Set your alarm clock...................

#3 ·
OK, I'll bite. What does a Facebook page have to do with deciding whether to buy an R1250RT or K16?

Duane

#5 · (Edited)
No FaceBook here. And trust me, the excitement ain't gonna kill me........My hunch is a modernized Euro 5 1250 RT with new dash and some goodies that we are all waiting for like radar based cruise control, rear collision radar, LED curve lights and some other electronic gadgetry. And most importantly, new colors and a M-badge with a stiff price increase.

#11 ·
Maybe we get to see the R18 Touring with windshield, saddle bags, TFT display and conchos. Who know and the suspense is killing me now........

#23 ·
...and conchos. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

And if they really want to steal sales from the American retro bunch, for some, leather fringe isn’t an option but a requirement.

BMW ad copy: “Our conchos and leather fringe are stamped with roundels, so the new R18 Retro-Bagger says tradition and heritage, German and American, all at once!”

Reactions: ViennaK
#18 ·
As much as I loved my 06 12RT, the 1200 and 1250 LC RTs never grew on me. Butt ugly, cramped ergonomics, loud engine, and not as nimble or precise in terms of handling as expected, compared to my 17+ k16 GT (big surprise on that account, while riding a 1250 RT on the same British b-roads as my k16). Wind protection was also meh, with some ugly helmet buffeting, in my case.
The engine performance is / was sweet, with plenty of punch and pulling hard all the way up into highly illegal speed limits. But the 1250 boxer platform, in any iteration (I did rode several RTs, GS, GSAs) is most definitely not a k16. The loud, obnoxious noise of the engine, when revved up was a no go, for me, for really long distance riding (I"ve learned this the hard way while owning a 17 1200 GSA LC, that I had to sell 7 months after purchase, after one trans-European tour - disturbing LDR engine noise was one of the top 3 reasons). The smoothness cannot be compared. I loved boxers for 15 years, but they now all feel agricultural, to me - I no longer get the "vibey, organic" thingy at all, these days. There is a feeling of elegance, precision, and steady peacefulness that the k16 exudes, un-matched by most other platforms. In addition, regarding power to weight ratio: the six cylinder power band is way more elastic than the shiftcam - you need to be very considerate of keeping the boxer in the right gear. The k16 will simply pull, in most gears, drama free. The quick shifter is really pleasant and useful on the big 6, rough and of limited use on the boxers. Regarding reverse: most heavy bikes (think engines over 1000cc) should have it as standard. And then there is the aspect of 1up vs 2up riding: when going 2up, the power to weight ratio is completely different, as is the overall weight balancing on the bike. The k16 is much more competent for 2up riding (the 1250 is no slouch, but it's definitely not as stress free).
Also regarding ergonomics: the 1250 RT ergonomics no longer work for taller riders, 1up, and they are less than ideal for 2up riding.
The combination of hooligan - gentleman bike, do it all street bike (for me), keeps me hooked on the k16, after all these years. As stated elsewhere, when it works (direct reliability reference) the k16 is unmatched.

#15 · (Edited)
I just came from a RT1250 and went to a GA. The RT is more nimble and a lighter bike. But after getting on the GA, I loved the smoother ride and the more cruiser type feel. The reverse I will love again, for backing into my garage. My dealer said you might want to wait for the new RT. I said it wasn't about electronics so much as it was the seating portion of the GA that I liked and the refined and smoothe motor. Seems to track straight down the road as well. Compared to my GTL from a few years back
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Rim

#21 · (Edited)
@DavidMcK so MCN concludes that the RT gets the best Tourer award because it's "more manageable and a better value than a K16GT". These broad and fuzzy conclusions bear more scrutiny. Maybe more manageable on twisty roads at speed where size and weight become large factors. The GT is no slouch in these narrow situations, but let's give a +1 to the RT here. Regardless, touring is soo much more than just this one category. There is riding 75+ mph on interstates all day without needing a Chiropractor to keep you functional. There is the ability to ride 2-up without banging helmets and generally having breathing room for both riders. And no matter how it's spun, a 2-cylinder engine is not a 6-cylinder engine.

Maybe the reviewers don't feel these clear advantages for the GT are a "value" that justify the additional cost. I think riders who do serious touring, in all aspects, might feel otherwise.

#24 · (Edited)
while my gt was in having its gearbox mod earlier this year they loaned me a 1250 rt.
after having it for 3 months yes 3 months i would say its a brilliant bike,nippy,light,good on fuel fast etc etc better mirrors,and screen too.
but when i collected my gt i knew straight away the k1600 was for me.
well un till the end of the year any way.
may i also say,just before i purchased my k just over a year ago i had a 1200R sport that bike was brilliant,but 2 up lacking if you know what i mean but the 1250 engine is far better.

#25 · (Edited)
As expected it was all about the RT: The new BMW R 1250 RT. And IMHO it's still fugly with the new front fairing and lights, not much of an improvement.

Maybe, if the K survives another year or so, we'll get some of the updates and goodies we don't already have from the end of next year, for the MY2022...

#29 ·
What new about the 1250 engine? Been around on the GS for a while now. Heard first hand only about one failure that required engine replacement.

#30 ·
@JohnS1955 Agree with MCN, or not, they have an influence. Back in 2011 I had a R1200RT and MCN awarded tourer of the year for 2011 to the K16, that made me take a serious look at the K16 for the type of touring that I was doing and as you know I purchased three of them.

I do get the fact that you tour at 75+mph on interstates and the K16 is ideal for that, but that is relatively rare in Europe, most motorways in GB are clogged up and speed limited to 55mph with a serious amount of speed cameras. In mainland Europe you can kill some distance on toll roads, however most of us stick to "B" roads or back roads so, it makes sense that MCN rate a lighter, more nimble machine.

And while a two cylinder bike will never be as smooth as a six cylinder, I was amazed at how the RT had changed over the seven years that I was on a K16.

#31 ·
I had a 95 1100 SLR Boxer. My first BMW. Great bike. But the one thing that drove me crazy was if you opened the throttle when hard into a corner the motor would pull you down into the corner one way and would pull you up out of the corner the other another way. I forget if it was left or right but it was pronounced and if you opened the throttle at the wrong time in the right circumstances you really had to pay attention. Its the last boxer I owned and I would not buy another one for that reason.

I always thought the Boxer was just BMW hanging on to their heritage. Do the new boxers not still exhibit this characteristic??

#33 ·
@DavidMcK you provided context that was completely absent from the MCN review. That's irresponsibly sloppy on their part, because it's absolutely necessary to the reader for understanding their conclusions. What made me suspicious from the beginning was their lack of clear definition of what "Touring" means. It's not as obvious as the other categories, and they should know that. I'm surprised MCN has the influence they do considering their review deficiencies.

#35 ·
I'm surprised MCN has the influence they do considering their review deficiencies.
MCN is a UK weekly “newspaper” publication, aimed at a UK readership, therefore it’s safe for them to assume that their primary audience understands the context of their reviews without it being explicitly stated. US publications are similar in their approach.

It's a version of the old adage “two countries separated by a common language” ;)

Reactions: Geoff_3
#36 ·
These reviews only provide a baseplate & are always the subject of a journalists bias. Take the R1200GS launch in RSA - apart from the Kevin Ash disaster, it was evident that distinct similarities in content had arisen between various UK magazines leading to suspicions that some copy/paste work had been going on.

It's interesting to read @DavidMcK s comments. I tried to like the new RT, but SWMBO just didn't have enough room on the pillion & she found the footrests were too close to the panniers for long distance comfort. So we stuck with the FJR, which covers most of the bases.

Next up, BMW will be trying to flog us the R1800RT I guess, along with adaptive CC & plenty of vibes - that will be a tough one for the dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.