BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

Registered
I moved from a Honda Blackbird to a RT back in 2005 and the boxer engine felt "Agricultural"
That must have come as a bit of a culture shock!

Back in the 1990's I had the pleasure of riding one of the early Blackbirds (it was actually the one that Bike Magazine had put on its side on the runway at Bruntingthorpe when they were trying to hit 200mph) and my abiding recollection was that it was turbine smooth, like an electric motor. Opening the throttle was like being on the end of a giant bungee cord 馃ぃ
I moved from the K16 to a R1250RT last year and was amazed at how refined the boxer had become
I was loaned an R1250S with the Shiftcam engine when my K1600 was in for the transmission recall work earlier this year and while the engine was torquey, lively, and entertaining, it had a level of refinement one notch up from a dump truck. I guess our definitions of refinement are some distance apart ;)

Registered
Nice improvements. I hope the K16 gets a similar update.

I have owned RT's in the past, the last one being a 2015. As much as I prefer the lighter weight of the RT, I find the K16 to be more comfortable and a better two up bike. The ergos on the RT are just a little tighter and off putting to me now coming off the roomier K16.

Registered
I was loaned an R1250S with the Shiftcam engine when my K1600 was in for the transmission recall work earlier this year and while the engine was torquey, lively, and entertaining, it had a level of refinement one notch up from a dump truck. I guess our definitions of refinement are some distance apart ;)
There is a trick that I used to play with mates, put the K16 on the main stand and balance a coin (on its edge) anywhere on the K16, tank, seat, top box. Start the engine and rev it. The coin rarely falls over.

My R1250RT feels so good that I have tried the same coin trick on it. To be fair, the coin usually falls over but only after I rev the bike.

Registered
My R1250RT feels so good that I have tried the same coin trick on it. To be fair, the coin usually falls over but only after I rev the bike.
While in no way buzzy like an inline-4, I found the vibes (through the pegs and elsewhere) on the R1250S when cruising at 70-80mph an irritant that I don't think I could live with on a long day. Good job we're all different (y)

Registered
While in no way buzzy like an inline-4, I found the vibes (through the pegs and elsewhere) on the R1250S when cruising at 70-80mph an irritant that I don't think I could live with on a long day. Good job we're all different (y)
This is my main concern in ever considering a boxer. Long distance cruising is a requirement in my riding life, and the "vibes" you describe would be a non-starter.

International Man of Mystery
If you are used to 6 cylinders everything else is a compromise.....I have a 1992 BMW 320i C with a 2l inline 6 which has no power whatsoever by today's standards, but I love that car just for the engine sound. With my Audi A6 3.0 TDI competition on its last months of the lease term, I go with the flow and ordered a BMW 530 hybrid with AWD and 4 cylinder. Not too exited about the combination of a range limited electrical motor and power limited 4 cylinder, but it is the tide of time. Hope my K1600 GT hangs in there after all the mess in the beginning. Wouldn't know what to replace it with when the time comes.
Come to think about it a V4 with its special sound signature would something.............

The K16 display is and always has been a TFT. The Speedo and rpm displays look analogue but are a digital representation.
The needles are still analog:)

Registered
Can I surf Facebook on the new TFT display?

Reactions: cboothe

And pic in pic comes standard...............

Premium Member
This is my main concern in ever considering a boxer. Long distance cruising is a requirement in my riding life, and the "vibes" you describe would be a non-starter.
I haven't ridden the 1250,but the 1200 did have vibes that made long distance wearisome. I thought the 1250 was meant to have smoothed this out. If not, it's an opportunity missed on all those 1250 bikes.

Registered
I think the new GW dash is fugly, but to each his own. I'm not yet decided on this new RT dash- will probably have to see it in person. One thing that stands out to me is that with the large TFT completely unshrouded, sunlight washout and reflections are going to be hard to combat. I would like to see the display moved closer to the rider (bigger visual sense of the same size display, and easier to reach for touch-screen functions) and deeply shrouded to minimize the effects of sunlight, etc.
I have TFT instruments on my 2020 Ninja 1000SX and my 2018 CBR1000RR, both without shrouds. Sunlight does not wash them out.

Flying Dutchman
I haven't ridden the 1250,but the 1200 did have vibes that made long distance wearisome. I thought the 1250 was meant to have smoothed this out. If not, it's an opportunity missed on all those 1250 bikes.
The 1250 is much more civilized than the 1200, I had a 1200 RS for two years and did almost 50k km on it, including some IBA rides. So long distances are definitely doable and comfortable on a boxer. Also tested the 1250 (RS and RT) last year, and although better than the 1200, it still is agricultural compared to the inline 6.

Registered
Interesting video for the new R1250RT. I get the feeling that BMW is concentrating on more of their bread and butter motorcycles than the K1600. Somewhere in the back of my brain I just don't see BMW coming out with a video expounding about all the new features for a K1600. I think when you look at the big picture BMW has its eggs in the 1250 and 4 cylinder motorcycle baskets now and I will be quite surprised to see much of anything dramatic happening to the K1600. Unless of course BMW comes out with its own form of auto trans to challenge the Honda DCT which is selling remarkably well at present. While the Boxer BMW's have had several changes over the last several years, the K1600 has had almost none. The engine was detuned and they gave owners shift assist. Yippee, I feel better already. Horsepower has gone up on the Boxers and 4 cylinders, but remained the same on the K1600 and in fact the K lost performance, so to me this is all quite telling. The emphasis at BMW is definitely not on the K bikes anymore. I could be wrong, but I don't think the K1600 has many friends left at the Mothership that want to see it continued, especially after the transmission fiasco.

Rick H.

Registered
You should ride the new 1250. I rode the 1250 GSA (which is admittedly not the same bike, but it is the same engine and transmission AFAIK) and was very surprised by the available torque all through the rev range. It won't keep up with the 1600 in the upper rev limits, but it won't be far behind either.
I had a 2013 GTL. Among a few other bikes, I bought a 2020 1250 RT this June. On a top gear roll on from 60 mph, the 1250 is stronger than the GTL, which was surprising.

Registered
I had a 2017 1200 RT and now a 2020 1250. The 1250 is smoother than the 1200, but still not close to the K1600. When I had both the K1600 and the 1200 RT, the K was my cross country ride and the RT under 500 miles/day ride.

Registered
Thought I would try the old "Coin Test" on my R1250RT. On the K16 the coin can more or less go anywhere and it won't fall over.

On the R1250RT, ok, it will fall over but, bearing in mind its a flat twin............................. Anyway, its light years from the R1200'RT's that I had.

Judge for yourself.

Upside Down
The 2021 model details were released back in July, and my White 2021 K1600GT is due delivery early November. I held off changing last year as I was hoping for the TFT to be introduced, but 3 years and 130,000km has arrived and I鈥檓 not waiting any longer!

The local Newcastle dealership has a white 719 option sitting on the showroom floor.No change to the K1600 dash /displays.

Reactions: Heli
41 - 60 of 91 Posts